U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 PM

478 posts, read 584,809 times

Advertisements

I would also add that there are areas north of Paces Ferry Rd. along Atlanta Rd. which have been built since 1996 - in fact, most of the neighborhoods on that corridor were built after 1996 and are more expensive than most of Smyrna. Speaking of Atlanta Rd., soon construction will begin for a landscaped median similar to what is on Spring Rd. This will add to the attractiveness of this area. North of Spring Rd. they have already built a good portion of it and it will extend south to Ridge Rd. (The end of the Smyrna City Limits). Concord Rd. west of Atlanta Rd. looks like it will soon be widened and I would imagine there will be a landscaped median as well an attractive streetscape (trees with sidewalks) put in as well.

The Smyrna Market Village was also built after 1996 as well as the new subdivisions to the east in an area called Williams Park where many old homes have been torn down to build new, more expensive homes.

Overall, Smyrna looks considerably different than what it did in 1996 unless you are only looking at Windy Hill Rd. and the northern portions of South Cobb Dr.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM

7,711 posts, read 9,545,692 times
Tell you what, I will make an effort to drive past those places at some point in the future, then I'll come back here and tell you what I thought.

You're right, it was unintentional. But you have to admit, the borders of Smyrna are kind of schizophrenic, so it can be hard to know when you are actually in Smyrna and just unincorporated Cobb county.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM

478 posts, read 584,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Tell you what, I will make an effort to drive past those places at some point in the future, then I'll come back here and tell you what I thought.

You're right, it was unintentional. But you have to admit, the borders of Smyrna are kind of schizophrenic, so it can be hard to know when you are actually in Smyrna and just unincorporated Cobb county.
I agree that the borders of Smyrna are very schizophrenic. On Atlanta Rd. the city begins at Ridge Rd. However, there are areas along Cooper Lake Rd. west of South Cobb Dr. -namely the massive Vinings Estates (which must have at least 500 homes) which is in the City even though it is a lot farther distance from Smyrna's City Hall than a good portion of Atlanta Rd. south of Ridge Rd.

The best way to see the actual City Limits is to type in Smyrna, GA on maps.google.com. When you are driving around the area, the street signa will indicate whether the street is in the City or County.

In regards to rcsteiner's post, there are numerous new high priced developments whcih are adjacent to Smyrna in the County which have a Smyrna address. The John Wieland mixed use development called City Walk at Atlanta Rd. @ Cumberland Parkway is probably one of the more notable. Smyrna residents have quick access to this as well as the retail in Vinings.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 AM

12,923 posts, read 21,003,576 times
A beautiful+colorful ward map of Smyrna:

http://www.smyrnacity.com/Modules/Sh...ocumentid=2014

Enjoy!

I know Smyrna pretty well--I love the city/area. Looking at the map and truly knowing Smyrna, the only "static" areas are most of Ward 5, small parts of Wards 1 and 2, and extremely small parts of Ward 3.

Most of Smyrna is not "static."

Last edited by aries4118; 10-06-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,098,619 times
Well not to steal the thunder from Smyrna but you did ask about norcross and roswell too. I didn't care for Roswell so I won't comment on that area but if you want a flatter, less rainy and more built up area with better shopping, a Trader Joes and more exotic dining options then Norcross is a place to consider. Especially since it's located where a lot of the businesses have moved out to yet still close in to atlanta.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM

12,923 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
...The roads along Oakdale to the south may have a better view (along the old River Line), but that area isn't Smyrna or directly bordering Smyrna. It's unincorporated area.

A lot of areas along Oakdale Road are actually within the Smyrna city limits. And the areas that are not within the city limits directly border Smyrna. Take a look at the ward map above.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,912,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

You're right that the boundaries are weird (strike that --- really weird), and there are some developments even in the southern part of the city which are only half finished which detracts (I think) from the overall vibe, but I'm not sure the differences between Smyrna and Unincorporated Cobb matter all that much unless you really have your heart set on city garbage collection.

I'd rather bypass the city property tax and pick my own trash company.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-26-2012 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: s/difference/differences/

Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,912,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
A lot of areas along Oakdale Road are actually within the Smyrna city limits. And the areas that are not within the city limits directly border Smyrna. Take a look at the ward map above.
I did not know that.

Yeah, the Smyrna border is weird.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,597,974 times
If anyone needs to know what the actual topic is, please see the first post in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or