U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM

7,010 posts, read 9,709,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I was thinking of Gen 5:1, which talks about man and woman being created simultaneously and both being generically named Adam (or mankind):
"When God created mankind, he made them in the likeness of God. He created them male and female and blessed them. And he named them “Mankind” when they were created." [NIV]

"In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created." [KJV]

"When God created human beings, he made them to be like himself. He created them male and female, and he blessed them and called them 'human.'" [New Living Translation]
I think that's important because it shows that woman is of equal stature, and not merely something derivative.
I don't see this as an inconsistency as the other replier said. I see this verse as insight into God's design of mankind, the earlier instance the particulars of how the first two came about. Sort of the difference between an architect's viewpoint and a construction engineer's viewpoint -- design in relationship to production.

I don't think the fact that woman came from the rib as anything that casts a negative onto women. The beauty to me is the verses that follow and the two reunitiing as one flesh that had come from one flesh and that through this act the species continues.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM

9,671 posts, read 8,797,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I don't see this as an inconsistency as the other replier said.
I was trying to add a bit of levity to this thread - clearly I failed!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM

28,383 posts, read 25,065,422 times
Quote:
I don't see this as an inconsistency as the other replier said.
It's only an inconsistency for those how deem it important to believe that woman is derivative of man, rather than being co-created as an equal.

I personally think the Genesis 5 version is more sensible than the Genesis 2 version. Neither sex could long exist without the other, and there's really no reason to give primacy to one. Since man and woman are interdependent and unsustainable without each other, it surely stands to reason that God would not have created only half the equation.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM

28,383 posts, read 25,065,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
No you didn't, Ansley.

My uncle Jack used to have two bird dogs named Cain and Abel. For the most part they got along all right, but you could tell they were always watching each other out of the corner of their eyes.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,125,825 times
Quote:
I don't have any problem with the theory of an "afterlife" or some sort of ongoing consciousness. However, I don't see what that has to do with the Big Bang, evolution or the notion that the earth is only 6,000 years old.
Well, in the case of my theory (that this universe is a simulation and subset of a larger consciousness reality), the "Big Bang" was the boot cycle wherein all the matter in the Universe was inserted into the sim, along with the rules of physics specifically designed to evolve into a place where life was inevitable. As for the idea that the earth is but 6,000 years old, that's too looney to even address.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I'm always for levity. Sorry I was thick and missed it

Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I went back to re-read it and catch the levity and I can't find it. Please don't delete it because I said what I said! Now I feel bad.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It's only an inconsistency for those how deem it important to believe that woman is derivative of man, rather than being co-created as an equal.

I personally think the Genesis 5 version is more sensible than the Genesis 2 version. Neither sex could long exist without the other, and there's really no reason to give primacy to one. Since man and woman are interdependent and unsustainable without each other, it surely stands to reason that God would not have created only half the equation.
Men and women were created with distinct differences. I for one appreciate this! That is why there are two different messages on this suject: chapter two highlighting the distinctives, chapter 5 the equality before God. The rib metaphor is beautiful, IMHO as God did not take part of Adam's head so woman would be superior or his foot so man could be superior, but from his side, the picture of the two standing as one, side by side.

That some have mis-interpreted this for misogynist purposes is sad.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM

9,671 posts, read 8,797,505 times
Quote:
Men and women were created with distinct differences. I for one appreciate this! That is why there are two different messages on this suject: chapter two highlighting the distinctives, chapter 5 the equality before God. The rib metaphor is beautiful, IMHO as God did not take part of Adam's head so woman would be superior or his foot so man could be superior, but from his side, the picture of the two standing as one, side by side.

That some have mis-interpreted this for misogynist purposes is sad.
Hmm. I'm pretty sure that's just the way God intended for evolution to run its course.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM

811 posts, read 790,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
In all fairness, the majority of Christians don't actually think that the Earth is 6,000 years old. They realize that the book of Genesis is largely metaphorical and meant to be taken as a spiritual guide and not literally.
Metaphorical? How is that so when the Bible has an account of the lineage of descendants from Adam on to Jesus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or