U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 PM

69 posts, read 148,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Metaphorical? How is that so when the Bible has an account of the lineage of descendants from Adam on to Jesus?

My God lives under a rock and says your "Bible" is folklore.
Now would you quit with the trolling and go back to hanging at the courtyards at KSU babbling incessantly so we can all have someone to point at and laugh.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM

28,269 posts, read 24,881,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Men and women were created with distinct differences. I for one appreciate this! That is why there are two different messages on this suject: chapter two highlighting the distinctives, chapter 5 the equality before God. The rib metaphor is beautiful, IMHO as God did not take part of Adam's head so woman would be superior or his foot so man could be superior, but from his side, the picture of the two standing as one, side by side.

That some have mis-interpreted this for misogynist purposes is sad.
Unfortunately some rather nasty misogyny crept into the Bible early on, precisely by elevating the Genesis 2 version of creation (men came first) over the Genesis 5 version (men and women were co-created at the same time).

It apparently suited Paul to ignore Genesis 5 -- which teaches that men and women were created simultaneously and generically designated as humankind, or man. In Paul's view only Genesis 2 counts, and in his mind that means women are relegated to a subordinate position.

According to Paul's theory, "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner." 1 Timothy 2:11-14.

That's what happens when people (including people who are actually in the Bible) pick and choose the parts they want to believe. Paul's choice to adopt Genesis 2 and ditch Genesis 5 continues to plague the church and society in general.

Last edited by arjay57; 10-11-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 PM

368 posts, read 416,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I was trying to add a bit of levity to this thread - clearly I failed!
This thread remains unleavened.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM

616 posts, read 882,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
This thread remains unleavened.

^^ Post of the day ^^^

Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 PM

9,626 posts, read 8,723,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
^^ Post of the day ^^^

YEP! I think Shivtim leavened it!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM

28,269 posts, read 24,881,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
this thread remains unleavened.
:d

Old 10-11-2012, 04:45 PM

6,461 posts, read 7,317,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post

Radiometric Dating has problems because it falsely sets a premise based on uniformity of magnetism, instead ignoring that magnetism is decreasing over time.
quick advice... When I was younger and in middle and high school, I actually believed many of these same things and made the same arguments. They were very common in the evangelical community during the '90s. In fact some of the arguments started then. I remember having youth pastors and leaders make these arguments in camps I attended when I was younger.

You have to let these arguments go. They are not scientifically valid and no scientist has really produced these results.

You can't let your faith in God rest on the idea of that a bunch of small sub-beliefs must be true. These same sub-beliefs were taught to me as well.

The problem is when a sub-belief turns out to not be true some people in the evangelical community become very defensive over it, because they think that sub-belief must be linked to their belief and faith in God. They then create and think up outlandish reasoning to make that sub-belief to be true, because they must make it true to themselves for their faith to be strong.

Don't fall into that trap. It doesn't help us understand science, knowledge of the physical world, theology, or our own spiritual development any better.

That is what Rep. Broun is doing. He is falling into that trap and quickly labeling things he doesn't understand as a "lie from the Pit of Hell." He is doing this not because they are true, not because they have any scientific merit, and not because science is really in a fight against religion, but because he taught thousands of sub-beliefs in his mind that must be true in order for him to keep his faith in God. That prevents him from soundly considering the evidence and facts on issues that do not have to impact his faith to begin with.

The more and the longer you fall into this trap, the longer it prevents you utilizing your mind to its fullest potential understanding science, what we can learn from it, and even participating in science and the generation of scientific knowledge itself.

That aside....

Radiometric dating doesn't depend on the uniformity of the Earth's magnetic field. Magnetism is not decreasing over time, however the strength earth's magnetic field is -currently- decreasing over time. Radiometric dating examines the decay of atoms from when they were formed, not magnetism. Some big differences.

Also, the strength and weakening of the earth's magnetic field isn't permanent. It has been weakening in recent history and ever since we have been able to record it and keep record, however evidence shows it is a fluid thing that can change up and down, as opposed from starting at a high value and only decay towards nothing.

Evidence shows that the earth's magnetic field has actually switched directions many times over the earth's existence, has a moving pole, and can get stronger and weaker. It changes, but not just in one direction from one fixed point to another.

I always found this and similar arguments fascinating, because the more one learns and examines the earth's magnetic field and its affects on geology and how rocks are formed, the more evidence is produced that the earth is very old.

The switch in polarity has been examined in detail by looking at the polarity of rocks formed along the ocean's floor as they move from the ridge that formed them. Looking at the rate at which the ocean floor spreads physically observed, using radiometric dating, and looking at rock samples from different parts of the crust from the ocean floor we know that it has switched about every 400,000 years with some variability.

However, what this also tells us is the evidence from radiometric dating techniques make sense when we consider how fast the ocean floor forms and spreads away from the ridge that created it. The dates it produced held true to the slow physical pace the ocean floor is created, spreads, and moves away from the ridge that creates it and the dates radiometric dating of rocks at different places away from that ridge.

As for Radiometric dating...
I came across this.. Radiometric Dating

It isn't my favorite source, but I appreciate that it was written by a Christian trying to explain some of the improper skepticism of radiometric by a few Christians directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or