U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
 
811 posts, read 787,198 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
To me it's shocking in 2 ways:
1) that he realy believes what he said - the earth is only 9000 years old, it was created in 6 days, etc
2) that this numbnut serves on the house science committee
What makes you think that the Earth is much older?

Please do explain. I have a feeling that you simply trust what a bunch of atheist scientists say, trying to disprove God, without really looking at the evidence.

 
Old 10-07-2012, 05:36 PM
 
811 posts, read 787,198 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's has always been a lot of anti-science sentiment in the U.S.

Many people prefer a non fact-based belief system.
As in?
 
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
 
811 posts, read 787,198 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFLASHPORT View Post
Well, I don't care what this nutjob believes. Whatever help you sleep at night, if you like the theatrics of snakes and bags of door knobs, knock yourself out. What I do have a problem with is any elected official bringing their personal belief system to work and wanting to force it down my throat through legislation. That's where I draw the line.

If you want to worship your car like a man in Arkansas did on the TLC program "Strange Sex", go enjoy yourself. But don't force it on me.
Is he forcing his viewpoints on you? Really?
 
Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM
 
811 posts, read 787,198 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Can you imagine having this man as your doctor?

"I'm sorry, you seem to be afflicted with a cancerous tumor from the pits of Hell. The only way to get rid of it is to pray to your savior and ask him to do it and hope that he does."

I've got to agree that any person who has been to medical shool and is on the committee of space and science knows better than this and is just pandering to an evangelical crowd. But it's still scary that anybody would even say this to anyone.
Do you not believe in the power of prayer?
 
Old 10-07-2012, 05:43 PM
 
1,606 posts, read 2,439,972 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
What makes you think that the Earth is much older?

Please do explain. I have a feeling that you simply trust what a bunch of atheist scientists say, trying to disprove God, without really looking at the evidence.
Carbon dating, geology, etc. Not to mention that we can look at other planets and galaxies and measure the distance by which light travels to Earth, and date them as billions of years old. And not all scientists are atheists by the way.

Please realize that your argument is a two way street. We could simply say "What makes you think the Earth is only 9,000 years old? It sounds to me like you simply trust what a bunch of religious preachers say." If we start into these arguments, nothing will ever get done.
 
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
 
811 posts, read 787,198 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Carbon dating
Carbon Dating isn't reliable beyond seven half lives, and as with all elements breaking down, the reliability of the sample is called into question the less material one has to date. As it stands, carbon dating can only measure items in the thousands of years, not millions.

Quote:
geology
Deposition of sediment is not equal. It can occur at variable rates, depositing many different sedimentary layers within a relatively short period of time. Thus, it is in error to assume that the rates of deposition are roughly equivalent for all layers of sediment, and that each layer is of a certain age. Continuing with this, it is in error to assume that fossils found within said layers are of a certain date, considering that the date of the layers is in question. Fossilization can also occur rather quickly under the proper conditions.

Quote:
Not to mention that we can look at other planets and galaxies and measure the distance by which light travels to Earth, and date them as billions of years old.
That is, if you assume that it is light's speed that enables one to see something (planet, star) through a telescope, and then use use such speed and estimated distance to calculate a time-frame. Very much in error.

This video also shows many problems with an old-age Earth viewpoint.

Evidence for a Young Earth - Convicted - Dr. Brad Harrub - YouTube


Quote:
And not all scientists are atheists by the way.
You're right. There are a lot of God-fearing scientists. I was merely making the argument that is was generally God-deniers who come up with these viewpoints.

Quote:
Please realize that your argument is a two way street. We could simply say "What makes you think the Earth is only 9,000 years old? It sounds to me like you simply trust what a bunch of religious preachers say." If we start into these arguments, nothing will ever get done.
I trust what God's Word says.
 
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
 
7,751 posts, read 9,634,302 times
Reputation: 5755
Quote:
Do you not believe in the power of prayer?
No.
 
Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 21,995,020 times
Reputation: 3853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Do you not believe in the power of prayer?
Prayer certainly provides peace of mind, and it's a good way to show support for someone, but whether or not it has more than a psychosomatic effect is not for me to say. There are times when it seems like it might be more, but to say it is would be pure speculation.

Faith can certainly be powerful in human terms, but the results of faith-based actions are usually not measurable or reproducible on demand. Science demands a certain level of predictability and reproducibility in order to accept something as true.

Christianity and science are usually not mutually exclusive, and many of the scientists I know who are Christian (and many of the non-scientist Christians I know)are secure enough in their faith to not question basic scientific tenants because, to them, there is no conflict.
 
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,401,595 times
Reputation: 2167
Do you think the guy in the link is sincere, or just saying this to get in good with his audience? I honestly can't tell these days.
 
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
 
7,751 posts, read 9,634,302 times
Reputation: 5755
Even if you believe in the power of prayer, that's for you to determine on your own. Or to discuss with your minister.

Not your doctor. Your doctor's one and only job is to try to heal medically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top