U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,877,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I guess we have differing views on being educated.

I would consider myself educated I attended an "elite" secular private school in Manhattan and graduated from Emory. My brother the same credentials as myself and my sister the same except she also has a masters from Harvard. My other sister attenended an "elite" secular private school in Manhattan, a private religious affiliated "elite" Buckhead school, graduated from Vanderbilt, and Emory masters. My wife(public k-8, secular "elite" private HS) has her undergrad from Spelman and masters from Emory. We all believe in creationism. I could rattle of more but,I have things to get done.
Yep, you're educated alright.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 AM

738 posts, read 1,118,853 times
Things like this make me wonder why I continue to live in Georgia. What boggles the mind the most is this:

Quote:
In his speech, a clip of which was provided to TPM by The Bridge Project, a non-profit progressive tracker, Broun credited his literal Biblical interpretation with driving his approach to government...

“What I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it,” he said. “It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”
This is a blatant violation of the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution, specifically the prohibition against the preference by the U.S. government of one religion over another. A person who makes the claim above should be immediately disqualified from holding public office, where he effectively represents people of all faiths. He does NOT represent me.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM

265 posts, read 340,597 times
Quote:

I would consider myself educated I attended an "elite" secular private school in Manhattan and graduated from Emory. My brother the same credentials as myself and my sister the same except she also has a masters from Harvard. My other sister attenended an "elite" secular private school in Manhattan, a private religious affiliated "elite" Buckhead school, graduated from Vanderbilt, and Emory masters. My wife(public k-8, secular "elite" private HS) has her undergrad from Spelman and masters from Emory. We all believe in creationism. I could rattle of more but,I have things to get done.
Maybe you should have attended a government funded state school then cause those school sure did not serve you well. An education is suppose to open your mind; to teach you how to learn; and to teach you how to think and reason for yourself. Most educated people leave behind the fairy tales of their uneducated years.

I don't know, but maybe you could ask for those schools for a refund. I know Sears once gave me a refund for a defective car battery

Last edited by NativeJr; 10-08-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM

28,150 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Quote:
We all believe in creationism.
Do you mean creationism in the sense that there is some higher power guiding the development of universe, or creationism in the sense that earth is only 6,000 years old?

I can understand the former but the latter seems to fly in the face of the factual data we have.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do you mean creationism in the sense that there is some higher power guiding the development of universe, or creationism in the sense that earth is only 6,000 years old?

I can understand the former but the latter seems to fly in the face of the factual data we have.
That was my first thought too...there is a huge difference between these two types of believers.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM

14,461 posts, read 7,116,932 times
Quote:

Are any of you scientists or doctors? And if so, do you actually believe that evolution is not a valid scientific theory? Also, do you know that a general "theory" and "scientific theory" are not the same thing. Evolution is a proven scientific phenomenon. I know that some people mix creationism with evolution, which leads me to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I also would like to know the answer because that is a hug deal IMO and strikes to the heart of what the candidate in the OP is speaking about. He believes in the creation story of the bible literally and that the earth is only 6000 years old even though there is a plethora of evidence to the contrary and the creation story does not include many aspects of scientific discovery that has been unearthed in modern history.

So are you one who believes that there is a higher power which started (created) the universe and as such is the cause of evolution or do you just deny that evolution is a scientific fact?

I have yet to meet an educated, scientifically focused, person who believes the earth is 6000 years old.

It is too bad that this candidate is showing the state in such a poor light in regards to education. We really need to be leading the way in education and making strides in STEM fields and scientific study, not going back to biblical times.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 AM

3,242 posts, read 3,023,944 times
If it is true that 50% of Americans believe in creationisn, then the US has a huge problem. As I understand it, Republican states are introducing creationism into the classroom to be taught alongside the accepted sciences as a bona fide alternative to evolution, although there is not one iota of evidence that proves creationism has a basis in fact.

To teach this junk science to children is tantamount to child abuse. How can the next generation cope in the world if they are being mistaught & mislead in the classroom. American kids are going to be left behind.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,386,539 times
The US does have a huge problem, and US children have been left behind for decades. If you haven't noticed, the USA has been at the bottom of the developed world for education, child well being and many other quality of life rankings.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,331,686 times
Creation- evolution and adaptation are the same thing. We as humans measure time - Nature and eternity do not measure time..because of this fixation on measurement we can not grasp the concept that a second is a million years in the cosmos and a million years is a second...Biblical types see the word "day" in the bible when it talks about creation- the key to the mystery is time...six days could have been six seconds or six trillion years. Science and God are not separated..Darwin did not disprove creation- He performed a minor autopsy on creation...and cut a small part of it into tiny understandable parts and called it evolution..

Big bang? Yes from a spark of nothing to a huge eternal something...then after eons - it shrinks back to a pin point of nothing- then bangs again- a vibration of sorts...a thought wave...the thought wave of God. Something so timeless that it can not be measured with time...The universe has expanded and collapsed a trillion times...eternity...is not a long time- it is no time.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM

738 posts, read 1,118,853 times
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or