U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM

9,581 posts, read 8,658,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
...then after eons - it shrinks back to a pin point of nothing- then bangs again- a vibration of sorts...a thought wave...the thought wave of God. Something so timeless that it can not be measured with time...The universe has expanded and collapsed a trillion times...eternity...is not a long time- it is no time.
We have absolutely no way of knowing this - doesn't mean it hasn't, but it would be all speculation. And, the expansion of the universe is increasing in speed indicating that there is no cycle. So, it would appear that the time, or life span, of the universe is measurable and infinite. Sorry - I get a bit pointy headed over these things sometimes!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,929,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
Maybe this guy Jesus did not hate. Maybe he does love all. But many of those that have continued his preachings have used his words to hate; to further their beliefs not his. If you don't see the hate in religion you need to open you eyes.
Not all religions are created equal, and the line between "religion" and "philosophy" is somewhat fuzzy. Have there been many wars started in the name of Buddhism, for example?

(There may have been, I don't know)

Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,929,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
There are plenty of educated people who do not believe in evolution. It does not make you ignorant as some have said. It actually makes them ignorant for thinking only what they believe is correct.
My issue with Rep. Broun has nothing to do with his belief in creationism. What I have an issue with is his statement that the Big Bang Theory, evolution, and other things are somehow part of an agenda to discredit his religion.

Most of the scientists I've known over the years were far more interested in learning than they were about discrediting any given religion. The goal was to figure out how things work and why, not to trample on the belief systems of others.

Some of the scientists I've known were (and are) Christian. As I said, science and Christianity are not mutually exclusive for many.

Beliefs I can respect. Conspiracy theories are something else again.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,207,504 times
Broun is an embarrassment to my state, and a detriment to conservative values nationwide. It is exactly this sort of backwards and ignorant thinking that alienates many, many people from the Republican party, and from a theistic or religious viewpoint. I am ashamed of him.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
It is exactly this sort of backwards and ignorant thinking that alienates many, many people from the Republican party, and from a theistic or religious viewpoint.
True. Why can't the Republican party simply stand for fiscal conservatism, and otherwise stay out of everyone's personal lives? Their failure to do that has run many people off.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 PM

27,828 posts, read 24,888,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
my issue with rep. Broun has nothing to do with his belief in creationism. What i have an issue with is his statement that the big bang theory, evolution, and other things are somehow part of an agenda to discredit his religion.

Most of the scientists i've known over the years were far more interested in learning than they were about discrediting any given religion. The goal was to figure out how things work and why, not to trample on the belief systems of others.

Some of the scientists i've known were (and are) christian. As i said, science and christianity are not mutually exclusive for many.

Beliefs i can respect. Conspiracy theories are something else again.
+100

Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 PM

230 posts, read 395,203 times
Quote:
Not all religions are created equal, and the line between "religion" and "philosophy" is somewhat fuzzy. Have there been many wars started in the name of Buddhism, for example?

(There may have been, I don't know)

I cannot recall one which started in the name of Buddhism. But ended in the name of Buddhism...Sri Lankan Civil War. Yes the divisions were planted by the British and the Hindu's started the rebellion, but the genocide that ended the conflict was totally unacceptable. It is a good thing thing that the Tamil Tigers were defeated and the country can try and move on after more that 30 years of fighting. There was also Emperor Ashoka, but he converted to Buddhism after the Battle of Kalinga. I agree with you, I can not think of a religious war started by Buddhists.

I originally had a video showing the torture of a Tamil by the Sri Lankan military, but I am not sure if that breaks the rules. Anyway, there are plenty of videos on the internet about Tamil massacres or Tamil genocide.

A very general observation, but the more prosthelytizing a religion is the more violence follows it.

Last edited by chalvey; 10-09-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,107,797 times
Quote:
The goal was to figure out how things work and why, not to trample on the belief systems of others.
Seems to me that if there is some observation that we can make about our universe that contradicts information in a book written by men who had no idea of their place in reality ought to call the information in the book into question, not the contemporary observation. People who can deny what they can see with their own two eyes just amaze me.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 PM

811 posts, read 781,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Seems to me that if there is some observation that we can make about our universe that contradicts information in a book written by men who had no idea of their place in reality ought to call the information in the book into question, not the contemporary observation. People who can deny what they can see with their own two eyes just amaze me.
As I've shown, it really is a leap of faith to believe in evolution and the Big Bang, considering that the ignore the laws of science.

By the way, what do you say to the afterlife, something also spoken of in the Bible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjEbqSkIjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0vbu1_ByqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGQDkCi-OIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59mRZ1Vj8ZU

Dr. Eben Alexander Describes Near-Death Ascent to Heaven | Video | TheBlaze.com

Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 PM

811 posts, read 781,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Things like this make me wonder why I continue to live in Georgia. What boggles the mind the most is this:

This is a blatant violation of the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution, specifically the prohibition against the preference by the U.S. government of one religion over another. A person who makes the claim above should be immediately disqualified from holding public office, where he effectively represents people of all faiths. He does NOT represent me.
You mis-applied the meaning of the establishment clause. It's to prevent a state church. This isn't a state church, but rather a citizen exercising his free exercise of religion.

If what you claim were true, we wouldn't have people swearing on the Bible, congressional prayer, "In God We Trust" on our money, The Ten Commandments in various courtrooms, or the invoking of the Creator in our documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or