Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
It closes the gap 8%. That seems pretty significant to me. Add in the Prime membership fee spaced out of each shipment and it starts to get close unless you are using Amazon for a very high number of orders. Will you be able to get items cheaper online, sure, but a nearly 10% gap has been closed.

I'm not sure what is worthy of laughing out loud over.. but whatever you say.
omg...i agree with corndog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
It closes the gap 8%. That seems pretty significant to me. Add in the Prime membership fee spaced out of each shipment and it starts to get close unless you are using Amazon for a very high number of orders. Will you be able to get items cheaper online, sure, but a nearly 10% gap has been closed.

I'm not sure what is worthy of laughing out loud over.. but whatever you say.
If $47 vs $44 online seems significant to you when comparing it to $75 in a brick and mortar store then that in itself is laughable. NO ONE is going to start shopping in brick and mortar stores because of an 8% tax, NO ONE. And also Amazon offers free 5 day shipping so you don't even need to use prime. California imposed tax on Amazon long ago, now look and tell me how much business they lost to brick and mortar stores as a result of it. And once again, Amazon is automating their warehouses which means less money spent on employees which translates to even lower prices.

Kiva Systems Warehouse Automation at Quiet Logistics - YouTube

Sorry but that 8% is going to do little to nothing to effect their business. Most of them can't even compete with the big box stores let alone Amazon.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,402 times
My wife is a retail consultant and we were talking about this yesterday...what the poster above said s true. The gap isnt enough to discourage us from using amazon....the convenience factor coupled with lower prices is still a good deal.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
It won't change anything for me except for big ticket items. It may just be easier to pickup instead of waiting on 2 day shipping but I"m sure, Amazon will still come out ahead in that case too.

I didn't realize sales tax had reached 8%. I thought, it was 7%.

Last edited by PKCorey; 08-11-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 04:19 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
If $47 vs $44 online seems significant to you when comparing it to $75 in a brick and mortar store then that in itself is laughable. NO ONE is going to start shopping in brick and mortar stores because of an 8% tax, NO ONE. And also Amazon offers free 5 day shipping so you don't even need to use prime. California imposed tax on Amazon long ago, now look and tell me how much business they lost to brick and mortar stores as a result of it. And once again, Amazon is automating their warehouses which means less money spent on employees which translates to even lower prices.
So everything on Amazon comes at 60% of the cost of traditional retailers? Oh wait, that isn't true. You just blurted out numbers and arranged them to support your point. A is true about B. Therefor A is always true? Basic logic fail.

Who said that they would lose market share? I said that I think that they (Amazon customers) should have to pay sales tax and that that 8% helps even the playing field. I didn't say all things were equal because of this change. An unfair 8% competitive advantage in price is huge in retail. I'm glad they are innovating and driving prices lower because that puts pressure on everyone to compete and innovate more, but I'm very glad they don't get a break on customer sales tax.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It also makes me wonder whose sales tax should we pay? If I go out of state, buy it, and bring it home, I pay their sales tax. If they bring it here, I buy it, naturally I pay Georgia's. But if I buy it online, where exactly did I buy it?

And I suppose there is still mail purchases that won't collect sales tax. Which might help the Post Office.
The tax nexus laws and regs would say you bought it in Georgia. So, Amazon will have to collect tax for all 50 states.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Problem for Bezos: Mall Becoming Cheaper Than Amazon - Yahoo! Finance

Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
The tax nexus laws and regs would say you bought it in Georgia. So, Amazon will have to collect tax for all 50 states.
Could Amazon move to Mexico and take advantage of NAFTA and avoid having to collect sales taxes?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM

150 posts, read 152,257 times
How about the fair tax to truly even the playing field

Old 08-22-2013, 01:31 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
This has been a big advantage for Internet commerce and against local stores so it makes sense for the taxing to happen - however, it's very interesting how this happens with the anti-tax zealots in charge and no outcry from the AM radio crowd...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta