Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 AM

402 posts, read 703,741 times

Advertisements

1) we were robbed
2) fans should've rioted
3) St. Louis sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 04:23 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There's always the Falcons. Yeah Falcons!
I don't even know why we Atlanta fans do this to ourselves year after year after year after year.....

Sports in Atlanta are just simply cursed. We will forever have a good season going in Atlanta, that will ALWAYS end in an embarrassing loss because it is ALWAYS our Atlanta team that does not show up to play. We are ALWAYS on the "shouldn't have even been there" end of the stick at the end of the day.

FALCONS - 98/99 beat the Vikings to make the Superbowl, only to have all of the sports world call it a fluke. Then NOT give an effort to dispute the nay-sayers, but instead get so dominated by the Broncos that it reinforces everyone's "Falcons shouldn't have even been there" angle.
A little hope in 2002 by going TO Green Bay to win in the playoffs, but to turn around and get embarrassed by the Eagles by not even scoring ONE touchdown... Nice end.
Falcons make the NFC Championship in 2004, only to play with NO effort vs the Eagles. Vick was the ONLY player that seemed to act like he knew they were even there. Held to only 162 yards of total offense, making for another embarrassing end to a great season.
2007 Falcons was the great comeback season, just to lose to the ARIZONA CARDINALS in the first round, however it was just good enough to show some sort of light at the end of the tunnel that season.
Falcons go 13-3 in 2010, only to get embarrassed at home by the wild card, Packers...
Then again, Falcons enter the playoffs as a wildcard team, matched up against a Giants team that barely made the playoffs on a 9-7 record. Falcons get completely dominated by ONLY scoring a Safety that game. Embarrassing end to a great season yet again...

And here we are, sucked in once again................... How will THIS already great season end?

HAWKS - I don't know if anyone remembers, but in 93/94, the Hawks were THE BEST team in the NBA through the greater part of the season, only to surprisingly trade away Dominique for Danny Manning and changing everything... Ending by getting beat up by the Pacers who we dominated during the season WHEN we had Dominique... STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT TRADE
Hawks were good for several more years, but each year ended in a submissive manner, being dominated by various teams each playoffs...
Then comes the recent Hawks team... Remember 07/08. Great season. Made it to game 7 vs the Celtics with Garnett, only to show up to game 7 and ONLY SCORE 65 points!!!! WTH?!?!? Embarrassing end.
08/09 - Swept by the Cavs. 09/10 - Swept by the Magic. 10/11 - Whooped by the Bulls and each loss was a blowout. Last season, the infamous "no hustle, walk down the court" by Josh Smith. No effort, embarrassing end...

FLAMES/THRASHERS (AND KNIGHTS) - We don't even need to discuss Hockey in Atlanta anymore...

BRAVES - 91, great worst to first season... But it was Minnesota's dream success story with Kirby's game 7 HR. 92, another great season, but it was Toronto's success story. 93, 104 wins to beat the Giants to the playoffs. I can even remember the whole "Back to back" song that played on the radio... Clearly the best team in baseball, only to get routed by the Fat, dirty Phillies to not make the WS as expected... Expos would have won the NL in 94 if the strike didn't end the season. THEN came the year nobody cared about baseball because of the 94 Strike... That is the ONE year an Atlanta team did us justice. Granted, 91 and 92 weren't embarrassing losses, but disappointments non the less. 95 marks the end off the NON embarrassing ends in Atlanta. Since then, 96, Again, clearly the most dominant team in MLB. Destroyed the Yankees in games 1 and 2 of the WS IN New York, Andruw Jones was the youngest to ever hit a HR in a WS game, and he did it TWICE ON HIS FIRST 2 at bats in the WS!!! Then, we haven't won a single WS game since... Lose 3 straight at home, and lose the WS 4-2.
Then, we continue winning seasonal games and losing in the NLCS (Marlins, Padres). 106 wins in 98, just to lose to the sorry Padres.
99 back in WS, but get swept by the Yankees AGAIN...
Braves go 14 straight divisional titles, just to end with 1 WS win...
Don't forget the 2011 collapes... Entering September up 8 games for the Wild Card, only to end the season with a 5 game losing streak and losing the WC spot to the freakin Cardinals on the last day of the season, and sending off Bobby Cox in typical, disappointing Atlanta fashion...

Then last night....................... And we expected different results to send off Chipper???

Lets just face it. Atlanta is cursed... I hear on ESPN radio, they call this (great season, embarrassing end) cycle "The Atlanta Syndrome."

Old 10-06-2012, 08:40 AM

730 posts, read 827,851 times
Is anyone actually embarrassed by the fans? After hearing the umpires' statements after the game I think they should have thrown more trash

Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I don't even know why we Atlanta fans do this to ourselves year after year after year after year.....

Sports in Atlanta are just simply cursed. We will forever have a good season going in Atlanta, that will ALWAYS end in an embarrassing loss because it is ALWAYS our Atlanta team that does not show up to play. We are ALWAYS on the "shouldn't have even been there" end of the stick at the end of the day.

FALCONS - 98/99 beat the Vikings to make the Superbowl, only to have all of the sports world call it a fluke. Then NOT give an effort to dispute the nay-sayers, but instead get so dominated by the Broncos that it reinforces everyone's "Falcons shouldn't have even been there" angle.
A little hope in 2002 by going TO Green Bay to win in the playoffs, but to turn around and get embarrassed by the Eagles by not even scoring ONE touchdown... Nice end.
Falcons make the NFC Championship in 2004, only to play with NO effort vs the Eagles. Vick was the ONLY player that seemed to act like he knew they were even there. Held to only 162 yards of total offense, making for another embarrassing end to a great season.
2007 Falcons was the great comeback season, just to lose to the ARIZONA CARDINALS in the first round, however it was just good enough to show some sort of light at the end of the tunnel that season.
Falcons go 13-3 in 2010, only to get embarrassed at home by the wild card, Packers...
Then again, Falcons enter the playoffs as a wildcard team, matched up against a Giants team that barely made the playoffs on a 9-7 record. Falcons get completely dominated by ONLY scoring a Safety that game. Embarrassing end to a great season yet again...

And here we are, sucked in once again................... How will THIS already great season end?

HAWKS - I don't know if anyone remembers, but in 93/94, the Hawks were THE BEST team in the NBA through the greater part of the season, only to surprisingly trade away Dominique for Danny Manning and changing everything... Ending by getting beat up by the Pacers who we dominated during the season WHEN we had Dominique... STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT TRADE
Hawks were good for several more years, but each year ended in a submissive manner, being dominated by various teams each playoffs...
Then comes the recent Hawks team... Remember 07/08. Great season. Made it to game 7 vs the Celtics with Garnett, only to show up to game 7 and ONLY SCORE 65 points!!!! WTH?!?!? Embarrassing end.
08/09 - Swept by the Cavs. 09/10 - Swept by the Magic. 10/11 - Whooped by the Bulls and each loss was a blowout. Last season, the infamous "no hustle, walk down the court" by Josh Smith. No effort, embarrassing end...

FLAMES/THRASHERS (AND KNIGHTS) - We don't even need to discuss Hockey in Atlanta anymore...

BRAVES - 91, great worst to first season... But it was Minnesota's dream success story with Kirby's game 7 HR. 92, another great season, but it was Toronto's success story. 93, 104 wins to beat the Giants to the playoffs. I can even remember the whole "Back to back" song that played on the radio... Clearly the best team in baseball, only to get routed by the Fat, dirty Phillies to not make the WS as expected... Expos would have won the NL in 94 if the strike didn't end the season. THEN came the year nobody cared about baseball because of the 94 Strike... That is the ONE year an Atlanta team did us justice. Granted, 91 and 92 weren't embarrassing losses, but disappointments non the less. 95 marks the end off the NON embarrassing ends in Atlanta. Since then, 96, Again, clearly the most dominant team in MLB. Destroyed the Yankees in games 1 and 2 of the WS IN New York, Andruw Jones was the youngest to ever hit a HR in a WS game, and he did it TWICE ON HIS FIRST 2 at bats in the WS!!! Then, we haven't won a single WS game since... Lose 3 straight at home, and lose the WS 4-2.
Then, we continue winning seasonal games and losing in the NLCS (Marlins, Padres). 106 wins in 98, just to lose to the sorry Padres.
Don't forget the 2011 collapes... Entering September up 8 games for the Wild Card, only to end the season with a 5 game losing streak and losing the WC spot to the freakin Cardinals on the last day of the season, and sending off Bobby Cox in typical, disappointing Atlanta fashion...

Then last night....................... And we expected different results to send off Chipper???

Lets just face it. Atlanta is cursed... I hear on ESPN radio, they call this (great season, embarrassing end) cycle "The Atlanta Syndrome."
I was gonna appoint you the "Official Atlanta Sports Historian" but you tripped up at the very end there. Bobby left in 2010, not 2011. They made it to the NLDS and fell to the Giants. I was there for Bobby's last game.

But yeah, reading that history reminds me of Irish history. Fraught with tragedy...

Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

Try being a Seattle sports fan like me. We lost our NBA team(not that I care about basketball). We got stomped in the 2006 Super Bowl by the Steelers. The Seattle Mariners, unlike the Atlanta Braves, have NEVER been to the World Series in its entire history, they are one of only 2 teams with this dubious distinction.

That being said, I still root for the Mariners no matter what.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
I'm actually impressed that the fans threw trash too. I didn't think they had it in them--very northeastern style reaction. I didn't participate, though.

The blown call led to about a -1 run delta in the Braves' expected final score. That's definitely going to ruffle feathers.

Sabremetrics 101: Run Expectancy Matrix, 1999-2002

We definitely showed better than Texas, who couldn't fill their stadium during primetime. Their collapse this year rivals our of last year, but has gotten less attention since they technically made the postseason (we had company with Boston last year, which the media enjoyed talking about/comparing).

Now it's on to college football 24/7. Big day for a lot of teams around here.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'm actually impressed that the fans threw trash too. I didn't think they had it in them--very northeastern style reaction. I didn't participate, though.

The blown call led to about a -1 run delta in the Braves' expected final score. That's definitely going to ruffle feathers.

Sabremetrics 101: Run Expectancy Matrix, 1999-2002

We definitely showed better than Texas, who couldn't fill their stadium during primetime. Their collapse this year rivals our of last year, but has gotten less attention since they technically made the postseason (we had company with Boston last year, which the media enjoyed talking about/comparing).

Now it's on to college football 24/7. Big day for a lot of teams around here.
If you ask me, I say the reaction shows a lack of class. Throwing trash on the field? Yes, worse has definitely happened in other cities, but this is classless and a lack of manners.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:28 AM

730 posts, read 827,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If you ask me, I say the reaction shows a lack of class. Throwing trash on the field? Yes, worse has definitely happened in other cities, but this is classless and a lack of manners.
Oh please. Man up

Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
Oh please. Man up
Man up? I'm speaking my mind. Rioting over sports, throwing trash on the field, I call it behaving in a tasteless and trashy manner. Booing, swearing, ok. Vandalism is another matter altogether.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Man up? I'm speaking my mind. Rioting over sports, throwing trash on the field, I call it behaving in a tasteless and trashy manner. Booing, swearing, ok. Vandalism is another matter altogether.
I agree...man up. This is sports, not the ballet. Passionate fans are expected to respond in such a manner over a situation like last night. The call on the field was appalling and the fans acted appropriately in my opinion.

It's ironic that you think swearing is classy but throwing a cup on the field is "vandalism". I think you're a little bit off here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta