U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 AM

5 posts, read 12,853 times

Advertisements

Bwahahaha, maybe next year Braves fans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,360,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Standing ovation!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-07-2012 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,614,770 times
Most of the fans are just bandwagoners anyway.

*Sees Atlanta Braves winning games...decides to become fans and actually pay attention to baseball at the last minute*.

There's a reason Baseball is dying as a sport. Hell, League of legend tournaments, a pc- game gets more viewers then most MLB games.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,595,911 times
I don't know Ant. With crap like what happened Friday, I wouldn't be surprised that even die hard fans of baseball start losing a little interest. Baseball is a conservative sport and I think a lot of folks are getting fed up with these tweaks like interleague play and the wildcard playoff.

I don't really think the Braves have a whole lot of bandwagon fans because they have actually been contenders for so long. Now, the Red Sox? I'd say 90% of there fans are band wagon jumping yuppies. The Braves draw from all over the SE and I think most of their fans grew up watching them. I'd also say a large percentage of baseball fans only start paying attention towards the end of the season and that doesn't make them bandwagon fans. It's a long season and the playoff picture doesn't begin to clear up at least until August or September.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM

28,186 posts, read 24,748,296 times
Outlandish behavior by the fans and embarrassing to our city.

I don't like the call but know from my own umpiring days how it can happen. I've made almost the exact same call myself.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM

4,971 posts, read 4,011,405 times
This is one of the best problems associated with Atlanta sports fans that I can remember. They are notorious for being mellow, quiet, and getting ruffled up by "loud" fans as much as by the play on the field or court. Finally, in one moment, they show off a blue-collar side that I genuinely didn't think they had.

Littering the field may have been excessive, but finally, finally, the fans sent a message: Don't mess with the ATL.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM

44,716 posts, read 43,250,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This is one of the best problems associated with Atlanta sports fans that I can remember. They are notorious for being mellow, quiet, and getting ruffled up by "loud" fans as much as by the play on the field or court. Finally, in one moment, they show off a blue-collar side that I genuinely didn't think they had.

Littering the field may have been excessive, but finally, finally, the fans sent a message: Don't mess with the ATL.
I think the thing is this. I don't think the Atlanta Braves get alot of working class fans at the games. New York and Boston are kind of proud of their working class roots, and aren't afraid to show it. Atlanta has spent years cultivating itself as being White collar. I think the Atlanta Braves are seen not as the team of the South, but as the team of the NEW South. The New South was suppose to have the gentile manners, and the same time, be this new, powerful player in the world. Atlanta has cultivated an image of itself as a White collar city with middle class southern culture of politeness and manners, to a certain extent.

Boston, and New York, on the other hand, seem to take strong pride in their working class roots, and aren't afraid of it. Major League Baseball has been in those cities longer, so there is more history and expectation involved.

I looked on facebook after the game ended. I stand out from alot of my friends, as I'm a Mariners fan instead of a Braves fan. However, this is what I saw. The general consensus I got from my friends was "this is embarrassing. They mad us look really bad tonight". I have friends who are fans of other teams. Many have been given a hard time for being a fan of another team besides the Braves. I've been given a hard time for being a Mariners fan. However, compared to Red Sox fans, I would say Braves fans are quite classy, and this is meant to be a compliment.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,565,562 times
Quote:
I think the thing is this. I don't think the Atlanta Braves get alot of working class fans at the games. New York and Boston are kind of proud of their working class roots, and aren't afraid to show it. Atlanta has spent years cultivating itself as being White collar. I think the Atlanta Braves are seen not as the team of the South, but as the team of the NEW South. The New South was suppose to have the gentile manners, and the same time, be this new, powerful player in the world. Atlanta has cultivated an image of itself as a White collar city with middle class southern culture of politeness and manners, to a certain extent.

Boston, and New York, on the other hand, seem to take strong pride in their working class roots, and aren't afraid of it. Major League Baseball has been in those cities longer, so there is more history and expectation involved.

I looked on facebook after the game ended. I stand out from alot of my friends, as I'm a Mariners fan instead of a Braves fan. However, this is what I saw. The general consensus I got from my friends was "this is embarrassing. They mad us look really bad tonight". I have friends who are fans of other teams. Many have been given a hard time for being a fan of another team besides the Braves. I've been given a hard time for being a Mariners fan. However, compared to Red Sox fans, I would say Braves fans are quite classy, and this is meant to be a compliment.
I think you've just realized a common misconception about Atlanta...there ARE plenty of blue-collar types in this city that go to ballgames, and why do you think anyone is "afraid" of that? I scratched my head as I read your post about how other cities are proud of their working class roots...what makes you think that Atlanta isn't? And what does any of that have to do with throwing trash on the field during an incomprehensible bad call? I applaud our fans (of all-colored collars) for showing some passion when the characterization of our fans in that past has been total complacency. Nothing but pride here.

It's awfully unfair to excuse other teams' fans for such a reaction but be embarrassed about Braves fans for the same reaction. That's nonsense and it doesn't fly here or anywhere else. Try again.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,595,911 times
Quote:

Have you even been to a game at Turner Field? I'd say the vast majority of fans are blue collar from all over the suburbs with a smattering of oblivious seen-and-be-seen types from Buckhead who could really care less about the game yet ironically have the best seats. The stadium's cutscenes(I'm not sure what they're called but the little video interludes before and during the games) are even tailored to blue collar folks with country music and phrases like "This is Braves Country." Can blue collar Yankees fans even afford to attend a home game at Yankee Stadium?

The Atlanta Braves were the ONLY team in the southeast for almost 30 years. The more I think about it the prouder I am of the fans' reaction. Sometimes the gloves have to come off and you have to fight dirty.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:16 PM

21,044 posts, read 33,036,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I wasn't at the game, but this post makes me want to throw a bottle at someone in Decatur...but yea the fans reaction is totally justified. Bottomline.
I don't doubt you condone it, having just threatened a woman with violent behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or