U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,118,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
There is a port of Atlantaa....its called Hartsfield Jackson...be satisfied. You can't have everything goshhhhh!
ATL is an air-Port, not a river-Port. Completely different kind of commerce. It would probably be more cost effective to move by train and truck to Savannah or Mobile anything you need to literally ship rather than trying to build a series of locks up to Atlanta.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Because of the Fall Line, there never could have been a "port of Atlanta." Columbus is as far north as any barge traffic could EVER be navigable on the Chattahoochee.
You'd be surprised what the Army Corps of Engineers can do. They could, if they wanted, make the Chattahoochee navigable up to Atlanta. But it's not worth it. Right now the locks are useful for Columbus as creating a nicer riverfront which Atlanta lacks.

If Columbus really wants to have more recreational boating, maybe they should take over the operation and maintenance of the locks.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what we really need to rely on is a deepening of the port of savannah, with direct rail access to atlanta and hartsfield-jackson, that should provide a cheaper and more efficient solution.

heavy cargo coming in from asia, africa and europe can't be flown, it has to be brought in on ships. what they do with it when they get here can either be rail, which is more efficient but less flexible, or tractor-trailer trucks, which are terribly inefficient but have to do when rail is not available. if we had a large train depot in atlanta just for unloading cargo, it'd do wonders for the local economy.
Seriously, if I were Savannah, I'd consider cutting out the middle man and provide the airport and truck cargo services...right in Savannah. They are already building all those warehouses, why not the distribution? And depending on their rail system, they could include that.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM

13,099 posts, read 15,906,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Seriously, if I were Savannah, I'd consider cutting out the middle man and provide the airport and truck cargo services...right in Savannah. They are already building all those warehouses, why not the distribution? And depending on their rail system, they could include that.
You seem somewhat unfamiliar with the situation in Savannah now. We are already a major point of distribution, with huge warehouse distribution centers for IKEA, Target, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. The problem is not the port, but access TO the port via road network and rail. Both are at or near capacity -- I cannot tell you how many thousands (tens of thousands) of tractor trailers and rail cars stacked with TEUs already move in and out of the port everyday. The traffic in Garden City and Port Wentworth (where the yards are) is simply atrocious. It's becoming a real quality of life issue in Chatham County.

I was on River Street last night and during about a 90 minute span (at high tide) 5 fully loaded cargo ships left port going out to sea. These were carrying AMERICAN goods and products to consumers around the world, so this "port" thing works both ways to the great benefit of ALL Georgia! Atlanta has a port -- two of them in fact: Savannah and Brunswick.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 PM

^ That's exactly what I was suggesting. Rather than being Atlanta's seaport, it can be more of its own distribution point. But I realize that it needs more infrastructure. Roads are doable but takes time to expand. The same is true for the airport and air cargo. Expanding rail might be harder to do.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Atlanta is already positioned asthe SE logistics hub. Rail leading to the Midwest, Mississippi valley, & NE. Atlanta has the rail yards.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,422,058 times
From a statewide stand point it might be wise to leave a project like this to Savannah or even Augusta. I mean one of the reason Interstate 3 was proposed was because of the port in Savannah. Also Atlanta is already congested, think about all that extra commercial traffic on the local highways and interstates, honestly the city can not handle it, economically would it be good, yes, but infrastructure wise, not so much, again the city needs to think like a capital and try to draw more people to the rest of the state and not just focus on itself.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM

13,099 posts, read 15,906,284 times
Just for illustration, every one of the containers you see in these photos is the size of a tractor trailer. The port is simply massive. It operates 24/7/365. We can't see stars in Savannah because of all the light pollution. Those sodium lights keep a constant orange haze across the horizon. It's especially noticeable driving into Savannah on I-16 from about 20-30 miles out. You'd think Savannah was a city of millions!

This is an aerial of the Colonels Island facility in Brunswick, where all the auto imports / exports come and go. Simply massive!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM

3,207 posts, read 4,506,672 times
Pretty silly idea. Atlanta is already massive in logistics. The rail links between Atlanta and Savannah are very well-developed (but frankly it's a rather short distance, so most of it probably goes by truck).

Barge traffic is generally the bulkiest, lowest-value-added cargo type. You'd rather deal mostly with higher-value, labor-intensive stuff, which is exactly what Georgia has done. New Orleans can deal with shipping bulk agricultural commodities...we'll handle the containerized cargo and vehicle exports.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,818,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This is an aerial of the Colonels Island facility in Brunswick, where all the auto imports / exports come and go. Simply massive!
That place is massive. But the most surprising thing to me is that there is one single railroad track leading into and out of this facility. And it's not even a double track.

I can only imagine what the truck traffic must be like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or