U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,125,118 times
Reputation: 1777

Advertisements

I remember years ago there was talk of making a "Port of Atlanta" by building a series of locks up the Chattahoochee. I thought the idea was crazy but I learned that it was possible. If nothing else, it would make some larger bodies of water near Atlanta and it would no longer be "landlocked".

But that doesn't seem likely now.

Corps of Engineers curtailing Chattahoochee River lock operations | www.ajc.com

Barge traffic along the Chattahoochee that was hoped for didn't happen. A commercial vessel hasn't passed through a lock in 3 years and Columbus hasn't seen a barge since 2000. Besides, keeping the water for Atlanta's drinking supply is probably better than for floating a few barges.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,974 posts, read 32,955,214 times
Reputation: 12634
Oh, ya know. You open up a port here and the the next thing ya know all those barges are rolling down here from Helen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 AM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,970,365 times
Reputation: 1415
There is a port of Atlantaa....its called Hartsfield Jackson...be satisfied. You can't have everything goshhhhh!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,146 posts, read 15,944,942 times
Reputation: 9167
Because of the Fall Line, there never could have been a "port of Atlanta." Columbus is as far north as any barge traffic could EVER be navigable on the Chattahoochee.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 02:26 AM
 
12,928 posts, read 21,008,612 times
Reputation: 4088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Because of the Fall Line, there never could have been a "port of Atlanta." Columbus is as far north as any barge traffic could EVER be navigable on the Chattahoochee.

But maybe with locks and a series of lakes...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 AM
 
Location: atlanta
3,967 posts, read 4,563,700 times
Reputation: 3217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Because of the Fall Line, there never could have been a "port of Atlanta." Columbus is as far north as any barge traffic could EVER be navigable on the Chattahoochee.
well, that was the point— they were figuring on dredging out the chattahoochee and using a lock system. seriously, though, i thought this idea had been canned decades ago.

what we really need to rely on is a deepening of the port of savannah, with direct rail access to atlanta and hartsfield-jackson, that should provide a cheaper and more efficient solution.

Quote:
There is a port of Atlantaa....its called Hartsfield Jackson...be satisfied.
yeah, but try fitting this on a plane:



heavy cargo coming in from asia, africa and europe can't be flown, it has to be brought in on ships. what they do with it when they get here can either be rail, which is more efficient but less flexible, or tractor-trailer trucks, which are terribly inefficient but have to do when rail is not available. if we had a large train depot in atlanta just for unloading cargo, it'd do wonders for the local economy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Decatur, GA
4,909 posts, read 3,713,502 times
Reputation: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
well, that was the point— they were figuring on dredging out the chattahoochee and using a lock system. seriously, though, i thought this idea had been canned decades ago.

what we really need to rely on is a deepening of the port of savannah, with direct rail access to atlanta and hartsfield-jackson, that should provide a cheaper and more efficient solution.



yeah, but try fitting this on a plane:



heavy cargo coming in from asia, africa and europe can't be flown, it has to be brought in on ships. what they do with it when they get here can either be rail, which is more efficient but less flexible, or tractor-trailer trucks, which are terribly inefficient but have to do when rail is not available. if we had a large train depot in atlanta just for unloading cargo, it'd do wonders for the local economy.
Well, we do have four major intermodal rail yards, Hulsey near Grant Park, Inman Yard northwest of Atlanta, Fairburn, and Austell. Rails already run right next to Hartsfield, making the connection would require someone wanting the connection.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,463 posts, read 4,117,786 times
Reputation: 2162
It's too bad that the border with Tennessee issue wasn't pursued further by former Gov Purdue and his motley band of political brigands at the capitol.

Georgia lawmakers eye Tennessee River?s water - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Making an attempt to draw upon the Tennessee river for water was actually one of the better ideas that the bubbas came up with, I'd have to admit. Maybe if they weren't so busy trying to play (or replay) "civil war" with the Feds on so many other nonsensical issues, Georgia actually could've gained a solid ally in that potential fight with the state of Tennessee.

By drawing upon Tennessee's river for water, it would've gone a looooong way to solving Atlanta's water issues, and ultimately free up more water resources for allowing the water barges on the Chattahoochee.

Just another example of the many missed opportunities that slips through Georgia's fingers, I guess.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I remember years ago there was talk of making a "Port of Atlanta" by building a series of locks up the Chattahoochee. I thought the idea was crazy but I learned that it was possible. If nothing else, it would make some larger bodies of water near Atlanta and it would no longer be "landlocked".

But that doesn't seem likely now.

Corps of Engineers curtailing Chattahoochee River lock operations | www.ajc.com

Barge traffic along the Chattahoochee that was hoped for didn't happen. A commercial vessel hasn't passed through a lock in 3 years and Columbus hasn't seen a barge since 2000. Besides, keeping the water for Atlanta's drinking supply is probably better than for floating a few barges.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-07-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,970,365 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
well, that was the point— they were figuring on dredging out the chattahoochee and using a lock system. seriously, though, i thought this idea had been canned decades ago.

what we really need to rely on is a deepening of the port of savannah, with direct rail access to atlanta and hartsfield-jackson, that should provide a cheaper and more efficient solution.



yeah, but try fitting this on a plane:



heavy cargo coming in from asia, africa and europe can't be flown, it has to be brought in on ships. what they do with it when they get here can either be rail, which is more efficient but less flexible, or tractor-trailer trucks, which are terribly inefficient but have to do when rail is not available. if we had a large train depot in atlanta just for unloading cargo, it'd do wonders for the local economy.
Bryant! Dude I know that man...Atlanta just needs to stay in its lane, let the major cities with Atlantic & Pacific Ocean access handle the US shipping needs, doesn't Norfolk Southern have a large presense here in Atlanta? I think they have more yards than CSX. You people always want too much.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,125,118 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's too bad that the border with Tennessee issue wasn't pursued further by former Gov Purdue and his motley band of political brigands at the capitol.

Georgia lawmakers eye Tennessee River?s water - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Making an attempt to draw upon the Tennessee river for water was actually one of the better ideas that the bubbas came up with, I'd have to admit. Maybe if they weren't so busy trying to play (or replay) "civil war" with the Feds on so many other nonsensical issues, Georgia actually could've gained a solid ally in that potential fight with the state of Tennessee.

By drawing upon Tennessee's river for water, it would've gone a looooong way to solving Atlanta's water issues, and ultimately free up more water resources for allowing the water barges on the Chattahoochee.

Just another example of the many missed opportunities that slips through Georgia's fingers, I guess.
Drawing on the Tennessee River is still a need for Atlanta's future. We might have to negotiate and buy it from Tennessee if our border claim is deemed void due some sort of statute of limitations. But it looks as if Chattahoochee River barge traffic is dead so releasing more water to elevate river levels for what few barges we might attract would be a waste.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top