U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM

2,328 posts, read 3,570,375 times

Advertisements

Georgia Permiter College has several locations in the Atlanta area with a large campus in Decatur.

http://www.gpc.edu/

There are options in the 1,200 per month range but note that in Atlanta typically the better the schools, the higher the cost of housing. So your challenge is going meeting both those needs.

You reference a 20 minute commute on more than one occasion. To meet ALL your needs within a 20 minute drive is not very realistic.

Will your husband be working from home or driving to an actual office. You mentioned Atlanta in general terms. You should give us more specific location information or you could easily be over an hour away from his office.

Others will need to comment on "open enrollment" in the area. I am not familiar with that as an option unless you are talking about charter schools.

Based on the type of neighborhood you describe, it definitely sounds like many of the intown neighborhoods will meet your needs. I live in the more conservative suburb but to be honest, if you keep your yard looking nice, don't have excess cars parked in the street and are friendly, you would be totally welcome tatoos and all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,782,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post

Based on the type of neighborhood you describe, it definitely sounds like many of the intown neighborhoods will meet your needs. I live in the more conservative suburb but to be honest, if you keep your yard looking nice, don't have excess cars parked in the street and are friendly, you would be totally welcome tatoos and all!
I second this. However, in her price range she most likely will not find anything more than a small two-bedroom apartment rental in the good school districts, which I assume will not work for her family size.

What I have found from personal experience being a parent living in Atlanta proper and having had my child enrolled in some of the best schools, you will have to give up the notion of living in a single family home and rent an apartment--that's if you want to be in the best in-town school districts and have all the amenities and conveniences of access to transit and city living unless you are wealthy. Homes in the neighborhoods you suggested start at $750K-$800k typically. To rent homes in these areas are equally expensive.

Her wish list isn't realistic for Atlanta proper with her family size and budget. But I will add that GPC is a good community college. If she were to move to Little Five Points/Candler Park, Inman Park, Midtown or Virginia-Highland, the Clarkston campus of GPC would be the closest. All of these neighborhoods are in the Mary Lin/Inman Middle School/Grady High School district. This is a good school district but again, housing is expensive. Grady is over-crowded though.

The only other community college option would be Atlanta Metropolitan College. Its main campus is in The West End (not a great neighborhood--it's pretty ghetto but slowly gentrifying), but it has a campus downtown on Peachtree and is expanding. Both community colleges also offer good online programs.

Realistically speaking, her only option is to live in the suburbs, as long as she is ok with that.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM

28 posts, read 50,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
What do you mean California is no longer accepting freshman into the universities? This doesn't make much sense at all. Tried a google search(I used to live in Los Angeles btw) and saw nothing that backs up that claim. I know this is off-topic, but just found this strange.
New Enrollment is restricted in all but a handful of schools, unless you're coming from out of state or transferring from a community college. It's been all over the news here.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 AM

28 posts, read 50,126 times
It doesn't look like Atlanta is going to be for us, from the responses.
But thank you for your help!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,629,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmiscellanea View Post
New Enrollment is restricted in all but a handful of schools, unless you're coming from out of state or transferring from a community college. It's been all over the news here.
No lol. Trust me. I've looked all over the internet. All it said was all of the Cal State universities will freeze enrollment for the spring semester.

If all California universities stopped accepting freshman, that would be national news and would BLOW UP considering that would be massive and just wouldn't make sense.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 PM

2,328 posts, read 3,570,375 times
I did find this regarding freezing 2013 Freshman enrollments

Cal State Freezing Freshmen Enrollment - Laguna Niguel, CA Patch

Which led me to search on the terms Calfornia freezing freshman enrollments

I found more

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...eze-enrollment

Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM

7,727 posts, read 9,595,829 times
Location of your husband's job is very imoprtant so you know what kind of commute you are dealing with.

I work with people from all over the country and all over the world. It's very typical for people from California to either move back in a short amount of time, or to always talk about wanting to move back. If you are true Californians, I think it will be quite difficult for you to enjoy Atlanta unless you are sick of California and really want out. I know Sacramento isn't like LA or SF, but I do know some people from there also who ultimately moved back. It took them a while because I guess jobs in Sacramento aren't easy to come by, but they talked about doing it for years and then finally did.

I don't personally know anything about living there, it's just been my experience that most people end up wanting to move back.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM

13,190 posts, read 16,024,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I think the reason you're getting the responses you're getting is because so many people here dream of getting out of this state and moving out west.
Speak for yourself. I don't know anybody with half a brain that would "dream" of moving to California in this day and time. That train left the station a long time ago. The "California dream" is now a nightmare.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,580,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmiscellanea View Post
It doesn't look like Atlanta is going to be for us, from the responses.
But thank you for your help!
I certainly wouldn't let people on this site help me make a decision as big as this one. If you want to trust what some anonymous people online have told you then fine, but I definitely don't recommend it. The budget issue is for real though...it would be hard to find a place to live here for that amount of money.

You can easily research the area for real information. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:06 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,580,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Speak for yourself. I don't know anybody with half a brain that would "dream" of moving to California in this day and time. That train left the station a long time ago. The "California dream" is now a nightmare.
Very true...I love California, but I have no desire to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or