U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 PM

28 posts, read 50,145 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My husband and I have been contemplating a move to the Atlanta area. We were both born & raised in the Sacramento metro area of California (Northern California, it is nothing like So Cal or what most people see on TV.)

1. Budget: We currently rent a 3bd home for $750. This is a ridiculously low amount for Sacramento, California, but we are friends with our landlord & take very good care of the property. We'd like to be able to stay under $1000. We are not looking to buy at this time.

2. House/Condo/Townhome/Apartment? I prefer a house. I have a large urban organic garden but can do without it (maybe some window plants). We don't mind apartment living, though. The most important thing is to live in a neighborhood where the kids can play safely outside and where I'm not afraid to walk to my car at night (our current neighborhood has it's own wiki & urban dictionary pages. Oak Park, Sacramento is not a place to raise a family)

3. Employment Status: My husband currently works in IT for a company with an office in Atlanta (his boss is actually stationed in Atlanta). He is looking to move up in his department and it looks like that means a move to Atlanta.

4. Children: We have 4 children. The oldest is a Jr. in high school and may choose to stay in California. The others are 10, 7, & 5. We currently drive the kids to 3 different schools across the city so that they can attend the best public schools in our district. Our neighborhood school is terrible. It's really important that the schools in our area be good or that we have the option of open enrolling our kids into schools in another neighborhood.

5. Suburban or Urban preference? Hm. Either. I'd really like to be able to take walks through town & ride bikes. I just don't want to live more than 20 minutes from the city. Oh, and my husband is continuing his education at the Community College level, so it would be nice to be close to a campus (20 minute drive),and our favorite past time other than being outdoors, is eating out. We like to patronize local restaurants all the time.

6. Easy access to public transportation: Not really an issue. I've heard the traffic is bad, but we have terrible traffic here and we both drive.

7. Preferable Demographics: My husband & I are both moderately to heavily tattooed (nothing offensive) but we are non-drinkers, non-smokers, we don't have any interest in bars or clubs. We do love live music, though. My husband is an artist & musician on the side, so access to supplies is a must. We'd like to be around other young(ish) families. I don't want to live near a high concentration of college kids or hipsters who party, or in an area with any gang activity at all.

8. Neighborhoods: Um, this is where I need help. I'll just be honest and say we're looking for a somewhat cheap area that isn't in the ghetto.

My wishlist for a home is: 3 bd 2 ba with garage. House or condo or apartment. I'd like to have a yard or greenbelt for the kids to run around.

My husband & I grew up in Northern California, in counties where the main business is agriculture. Most people refer to Sacramento as "Sack o' Tomatoes". It's 100+ in the Summer and the Winters don't get too cold, but it gets really windy here. I have a cousin whom I'm not close to who lives in Atlanta, and another who is moving there from Savannah. We'd have some family if we made the move.

I've moved out of California once before, but my husband has not. I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved from Nor Cal (or the West Coast in general) to Atlanta, and what the culture shock (if any) was like, what to expect weather-wise, and whether you would personally recommend we move here.
Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,395,780 times
I would stay in Sacto. You will not find what you are looking for in Atlanta and $750/m for housing for 6 people in any real city in CA is unreal. I lived in SF for 6 years and would pick friends up in sac to go snowboarding in Tahoe... I wish I hadn't left, and am trying to move back. Don't do it!

Oh, I just noticed the part where you said you are in Oak Park. In that case you might feel right at home in atlanta except there aren't many Mexicans here.

Last edited by rzzz; 10-06-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 PM

13,196 posts, read 16,032,015 times
Other than the housing costs -- which will be much higher in ATL -- I think you'd find exactly what you're looking for lifestyle and public schools anywhere betweenMidtown Atlanta and Decatur.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,784,005 times
The OP definitely will not find anything affordable housing-wise in Midtown Atlanta or Decatur for a family her size and the amenities she seeks. Atlanta's housing isn't as cheap as people claim it is. You will have to move waaay out to find anything cheap. And way out typically means no transit, no sidewalks and horrible commutes in bad traffic.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,831,679 times
Your budget is your challenge. To get what you are looking for, you will need to spend more $. The rental market is very hot here and rents seem to keep going up.

School choice is very limited and complicated in GA and with 3-4 kids needing good schools, you have to move into the right districts. Any area that is too inexpensive is likely to not have great schools.

Your oldest child, what are the college plans? Most state university systems based residency on the parents location -- if you are in GA, she/he may no longer be considered a resident of CA for tuition purposes.

If your oldest a good student? If so, the HOPE scholarship may be a good reason to have the child move here with you. Read about HOPE here:

GAcollege411 - Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program Overview

Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM

28 posts, read 50,145 times
Thanks for the responses. We can afford to pay more rent. We can do up to $1200 (maybe more if other things aee cheaper like utilities) we're just used to paying very little.

In California they are no longer accepting freshmen into the universities, so his plan was community college. Thank you for the info on the Hope scholarship.

Can anyone suggest safe neighborhoods with housing up to $1200 per month?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,117,464 times
I think the reason you're getting the responses you're getting is because so many people here dream of getting out of this state and moving out west.

You can find apartments and rental houses within your budget. The houses won't be in the most sought after parts of town but they are decent areas none the less with good, safe k-12 schools and not have to worry about gang activity.

The big problem is there aren't really a lot of community colleges. There are some state schools that are like community colleges but they're not as prevalent as in other metropolitan areas with larger counties.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,784,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmiscellanea View Post
Thanks for the responses. We can afford to pay more rent. We can do up to $1200 (maybe more if other things aee cheaper like utilities) we're just used to paying very little.

In California they are no longer accepting freshmen into the universities, so his plan was community college. Thank you for the info on the Hope scholarship.

You can get a two bedroom apartment for that price or cheaper if you must be on transit and in a good school district if you want to live in-town. But in-town apartments in that price range tend to be old, small and you have to pay all utilties: gas, electricity and water. If you are ok with not being on transit you might be able to find something in the suburbs. Perhaps someone on here who lives in the suburbs can tell you of some good areas in that price range. You won't find too many three bedroom apartments in-town and you definitely won't find a house for rent for $1200 in the areas with the good school districts.

As with any city, the lower the housing costs, the worse the schools and the neighborhood.

Some parts of Cobb County are supposed to have good areas and good schools but I don't know how much housing costs in those areas so maybe someone else can give some insight.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,632,200 times
Quote:

What do you mean California is no longer accepting freshman into the universities? This doesn't make much sense at all. Tried a google search(I used to live in Los Angeles btw) and saw nothing that backs up that claim. I know this is off-topic, but just found this strange.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,831,679 times
Quote:

Residency may still be an issue if you move to GA. Given out of state tuition costs in CA, and that includes community colleges, you need to investigate those rules carefully.

You may be able to find three bedroom apartments for your price point in the close in suburbs, but it will be tricky. If you go further out, then you will have more choices. But that doesn't meet your 20 minute standard.

Where in the metro area will your husband's job be located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or