U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 14,137 times

Advertisements

In summary from my first post

1. Budget. 110k per year income. Current mortgage 3000 per month including taxes, associations, etc. Hoping to pay at least 500 less per month at new house.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home). Commute
4. Children(public school vs. private). 3 children- all under 7, public school, lots of activities, dance, cheer, football
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two, suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 PM

13,172 posts, read 16,007,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Most people who move here from California end up wanting to move back because I guess there are a lot of areas where Atlanta just can't compete.
This is not just your opinion, but completely untrue. The vast majority of people who relocate to Georgia from California -- or ANYWHERE in the country for that matter -- love it here and stay. If that were not the case, Metro Atlanta would be a constant revolving door of relocations and HEMORRHAGING people. Absolutely not the reality! I don't know ONE person who has moved to Georgia from California and regretted it!

You're free to express your opinion, but to suggest that the "majority" of people who move to Atlanta from California can't wait to move back because they miss the beach or the weather is insulting to persons like the OP who've clearly thought this out and have far more valid and sincere reasons for moving her family to a better life.

Most REAL people don't give a damn that "surf's up dude!"

TO THE OP: I think anywhere in North Fulton or East Cobb will be very much to your liking. Compared to Orange County, your life is going to improve immeasurably.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,393,209 times
Metro atlanta is a revolving door. A study done puts inbound migration at number three in the country but outbound migration is at number four. Atlanta 3rd most popular moving destination | The Biz Beat

Also if you look at that interactive relo map that Forbes did, very few people move from California to Atlanta. ATL gets most of its incoming population from the northeast and south. Californians tend to move to Oregon, Texas, Arizona, Colorado and Utah.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This is not just your opinion, but completely untrue. The vast majority of people who relocate to Georgia from California -- or ANYWHERE in the country for that matter -- love it here and stay. If that were not the case, Metro Atlanta would be a constant revolving door of relocations and HEMORRHAGING people. Absolutely not the reality! I don't know ONE person who has moved to Georgia from California and regretted it!

You're free to express your opinion, but to suggest that the "majority" of people who move to Atlanta from California can't wait to move back because they miss the beach or the weather is insulting to persons like the OP who've clearly thought this out and have far more valid and sincere reasons for moving her family to a better life.

Most REAL people don't give a damn that "surf's up dude!"

TO THE OP: I think anywhere in North Fulton or East Cobb will be very much to your liking. Compared to Orange County, your life is going to improve immeasurably.

Thank you, this is what I wanted to know, and thank you for coming to my defense! I don't think that everyone really understands where I am coming from and how many hardships we have dealt with to really feel the need to sell our house and move our family. It's not that we can't make it in Orange County, it's that things will forever be tight and California is progressively becoming a more and more difficult place to survive. It is going to be a better life for our children if we relocate. We just want to know exactly what we would be getting ourselves into.

BTW my previous two posts were done by my husband and he is much more cut to the chase than I am, I apologize if they seem a little testy.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,826,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelW15 View Post
Thank you, this is what I wanted to know, and thank you for coming to my defense! I don't think that everyone really understands where I am coming from and how many hardships we have dealt with to really feel the need to sell our house and move our family. It's not that we can't make it in Orange County, it's that things will forever be tight and California is progressively becoming a more and more difficult place to survive. It is going to be a better life for our children if we relocate. We just want to know exactly what we would be getting ourselves into.

BTW my previous two posts were done by my husband and he is much more cut to the chase than I am, I apologize if they seem a little testy.
East Cobb is too far of a commute from the places your husband may have to go, unless he will just be dropping in for a few hours, so he can avoid rush hour.

While N. Fulton is a great suggestion, if he will have to go into an office with regularity in the zip codes you provided, I would look to the East side, ie Johns Creek High School and Northview High School district because he might want access to I -85. Traffic won't be great from anywhere, but doable. You will find all the activities you are looking for in N. Fulton and surrounds. I also think Peachtree Corners is a great choice as well (Gwinnett County).

A great website to use to search is Harrynorman.com. Go to find a home, by school, and select the high school district you are interested in seeing homes. It isn't perfect, but can give you an idea about what is out there.

Through the years, my children have had lots of friends whose families have relocated here from California and most have been fine. You have the right attitude.

Of your children who have started school, do any of them have birthdays in the fall? Not being noisy, I am asking for a reason, something that has impacted two of my children's friends. Let me know.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 AM

863 posts, read 1,026,684 times
You're right, California is overrated. I checked out and moved to NC last year and I'm happy with my decision. My only regret is the ocean. I miss it. But as you know, the beaches are so crowded....

I'm familiar with Atlanta's northern burbs. Roswell and Alpharetta are nice. It does get muggy in Atlanta, as you probably know.

Suggest you check out traffic- esp. rush hour, before making a comittment. I've been stuck in some long traffic jams in and around Atlanta.

Here's a great site for Repo homes nationwide. If you qualify, you can get into a home for as little as 3% down. Fannie Mae REO Homes For Sale - HomePath.com

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,491,590 times
Atlanta is going to be country and slow/behind the times compared to California. The people here don't care about anything worthwhile and won't even vote on rail. The price is low for a reason. I'd visit for a feel first.

The lack of IQ, culture, progessiveness and things to do will pale in comparison to California. You get what you pay for.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,000,519 times
Raleigh-Durham, NC is very popular with Californians seeking a better place to raise a family. Beaches are 2-1/2 hours away, and NYC is 7-1/2 hours away. North Carolina's metros are similar to Atlanta but smaller. NC's government is more progressive also.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,779,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Atlanta is going to be country and slow/behind the times compared to California. The people here don't care about anything worthwhile and won't even vote on rail. The price is low for a reason. I'd visit for a feel first.

The lack of IQ, culture, progessiveness and things to do will pale in comparison to California. You get what you pay for.
It sounds like for what the OP wants, North Fulton may be perfect for her. It definitely will be an adjustment in terms of the mentailty, thinking and other points you bring up.

Her family wants a child-focused, suburban lifestyle for less. If that is their primary focus and all they want, it will be ok. The flip side is kids grow up and fast so the next question is what kind of lifestyle they want when doing kiddie things is no longer appealing as the kids become pre-teens and teens and finding things to keep children interested when they are no longer small can be challenging.

Though we moved here when my child was an infant, she began to express her dislike of constantly studying the Civil War from first through seventh grade and the text books, even the science books, are heavily Georgia-centered.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
East Cobb is too far of a commute from the places your husband may have to go, unless he will just be dropping in for a few hours, so he can avoid rush hour.

While N. Fulton is a great suggestion, if he will have to go into an office with regularity in the zip codes you provided, I would look to the East side, ie Johns Creek High School and Northview High School district because he might want access to I -85. Traffic won't be great from anywhere, but doable. You will find all the activities you are looking for in N. Fulton and surrounds. I also think Peachtree Corners is a great choice as well (Gwinnett County).

A great website to use to search is Harrynorman.com. Go to find a home, by school, and select the high school district you are interested in seeing homes. It isn't perfect, but can give you an idea about what is out there.

Through the years, my children have had lots of friends whose families have relocated here from California and most have been fine. You have the right attitude.

Of your children who have started school, do any of them have birthdays in the fall? Not being noisy, I am asking for a reason, something that has impacted two of my children's friends. Let me know.
No, I know about the September 1st cut off, my oldest makes it by just a few days. They are in th process of moving the cutoff date up here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or