U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM
 
562 posts, read 437,491 times
Reputation: 315

Advertisements

I heard a brief news segment that the principal and others abruptly resigned last week and a whole new staff is in place this week. Apparently there was a racism problem? What is the real scoop? I thought North Atlanta High was supposed to be up-and-coming with the resurgence of public school interest in the Buckhead area. This area was on our short-list of places to move for public schools (Sarah Smith, North Atlanta cluster). May need to rethink that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth...for now.
2,460 posts, read 1,469,005 times
Reputation: 2040
I am a NAHS parent and I am trying to find out what happened myself. I got a call from APS on Friday that a new principal is coming in and that was it. I didn't hear of anything else until news reports came out over the weekend. I think there is a parent meeting coming up on Tuesday which I plan to attend.

All I know is that my child and her friends are confused and are shaken up by police coming up there.

Up until now I had been pleased with the school and the relationship my daughter has with her teachers, counselors and other staff. I will post any new info I find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM
 
15,036 posts, read 9,793,968 times
Reputation: 3600
We were also wondering what happened? According to the AJC, the principal and top administrators were not only abruptly fired but escorted off the campus.

Mark Mygrant was well respected and had been asked to come back out of retirement to serve as interim principal.

Bloody Friday at North Atlanta High: APS kicks out old leaders, announces new ones without explanation. | Get Schooled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth...for now.
2,460 posts, read 1,469,005 times
Reputation: 2040
I will be attending the meeting tomorrow. I think my daughter's IB counselor may be one of the academic staff who was reassigned. I hope not. She has been so wonderful to my daughter and very supportive and caring when it comes to the students. If she is gone, my daughter and I will be devastated.

As I said, I will post what I find out. APS has so much mess going but my daughter likes being at N. Atlanta. But I doubt that we parents will get the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM
 
15,036 posts, read 9,793,968 times
Reputation: 3600
APS doesn't treat some parts of the city very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 AM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth...for now.
2,460 posts, read 1,469,005 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
APS doesn't treat some parts of the city very well.
Being that the cheating scandal is still at trial and being investigated, I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the sudden ouster.

It's just bizarre the way in which this was carried out given that the principal was asked to come out of retirement and work until a permanent was found. The fact that they immediately replaced not just him but other staff and the Gestapo-esque manner in which he was fired just sounds too fishy.

To the OP, I believe the problem isn't with this cluster of schools (or the Mary Lin/Inman/Grady cluster which is also great). My daughter has been a student in both clusters since the 4th grade and the teacher, parent, and community involvement has been great. I took my daughter out of DeKalb schools and moved in-town to put her in these schools and it has been the decision I made for her. Her behavior and grades improved immensely once we made this change and has been great ever since.

I don't think the problem is these schools and their staff, the problem is APS administration and its shadiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
996 posts, read 680,960 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Being that the cheating scandal is still at trial and being investigated, I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the sudden ouster.

It's just bizarre the way in which this was carried out given that the principal was asked to come out of retirement and work until a permanent was found. The fact that they immediately replaced not just him but other staff and the Gestapo-esque manner in which he was fired just sounds too fishy.

To the OP, I believe the problem isn't with this cluster of schools (or the Mary Lin/Inman/Grady cluster which is also great). My daughter has been a student in both clusters since the 4th grade and the teacher, parent, and community involvement has been great. I took my daughter out of DeKalb schools and moved in-town to put her in these schools and it has been the decision I made for her. Her behavior and grades improved immensely once we made this change and has been great ever since.

I don't think the problem is these schools and their staff, the problem is APS administration and its shadiness.
This whole situation seems very odd. A parent I know with children at NAHS was telling me about this and it seems nuts. NAHS has come so far from what it was, I hope this does not hurt the image of the school.

What part of DeKalb was it in? It is so sad what happened to DeKalb. A friend of mine from college who grew up in Stone Mountain cannot believe how much it has changed. I remember I went to his parents house in the 1980's and it was perfect American suburbia. There are houses in Stone Mountain that sold for more in the 1970's than now. Hopefully it will come back because it is actually a good location for working intown, Perimeter, Gwinnett, and ATL. It is also visually appealing with how the neighborhoods were laid out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth...for now.
2,460 posts, read 1,469,005 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
This whole situation seems very odd. A parent I know with children at NAHS was telling me about this and it seems nuts. NAHS has come so far from what it was, I hope this does not hurt the image of the school.

What part of DeKalb was it in? It is so sad what happened to DeKalb. A friend of mine from college who grew up in Stone Mountain cannot believe how much it has changed. I remember I went to his parents house in the 1980's and it was perfect American suburbia. There are houses in Stone Mountain that sold for more in the 1970's than now. Hopefully it will come back because it is actually a good location for working intown, Perimeter, Gwinnett, and ATL. It is also visually appealing with how the neighborhoods were laid out.
When I first moved to GA my family bought a house in Stone Mountain. The subdivision was nice. I moved to Avondale Estates after year and the neighborhood where my parents bought their house began to rapidly decline after a couple of years. Someone opened a group home for young boys in the subdivision and crime started happening. My parents moved out.


When my daughter became school age I knew I couldn't send her to school in Avondale because the schools there aren't good. A friend of mine told me about Robert Shaw Theme School. I applied for my daughter to attend ad she got the last spot on the waiting list. It seemed to be a decent school and there was a lot of parent/community involvement. I felt safe with her being at the school but she just wasn't thriving academically and she would act out sometimes.

I moved from Avondale back to Stone Mountain but she stayed at the school. Avondale was getting unsafe and Stone Mountain got worse after we moved back. I was contemplating moving to Virginia-Highland because I loved the area and Iu knew the schools were great but hadn't made the final decision.

On July 28, 2006, someone shot into my bedroom in Stone Mountain, shooting out my television. I was pretty much done at that point. That gunshot gave me the motivation to go ahead and move intown. I like the distance of Avondale and Stone Mountain from my job as I worked downtown in Atlanta but it became too unsafe and my child's education was suffering.

Living out in someplace like Alpharetta didn't appeal to me either. Moving to good intown areas proved to be a win-win for both my child and myself. I can't reiterate enough how that move changed my child for the absolute best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth...for now.
2,460 posts, read 1,469,005 times
Reputation: 2040
That same weekend my place was shot into and I begain moving out, a neighbor was also murdered. A previous Stone Mountain apartment I lived in was robbed.

I have friends who live in Stone Mountain. In the older subdivisions many of Road it's bad. I h them are very nice and quiet. The apartment complexes are pretty bad. It seems the further up Rockbride Road you go, closer to Stephenson Road it's bad. Though I hear the downtown area is still nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
 
15,036 posts, read 9,793,968 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
That same weekend my place was shot into and I begain moving out, a neighbor was also murdered. A previous Stone Mountain apartment I lived in was robbed.

I have friends who live in Stone Mountain. In the older subdivisions many of Road it's bad. I h them are very nice and quiet. The apartment complexes are pretty bad. It seems the further up Rockbride Road you go, closer to Stephenson Road it's bad. Though I hear the downtown area is still nice.
That's horrible! I remember when Stone Mountain was a quiet, peaceful and very safe area. Shopping was good and the schools were first rate.

What went haywire?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top