U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 PM

8 posts, read 11,064 times

Advertisements

LOL @ that last comment!

Commuting is to the Duluth zone that is close to Gwinnett place mall, near I-85.

So yeah, pretty easy interstate access if that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Where in duluth can make a big difference in commute times. If you're in some of the business park areas right off the interstate, that's an easy 15 min commute from buford. But if it's deep inside like near medlock bridge, that can take an hour.
It's pretty far out from the city, yeah but some people like that. You know the fresh air, the trees, all the friendly people and smiling faces, the absence of driveby shootings.

OK I was just kidding about that last one. Don't email me people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Something else to look into is if the job is actually in Duluth.

A lot of the Johns Creek community is in the 30097 zip code, which is actually served by the Duluth post office. Back when the area was unincorporated, all of the businesses used Duluth for their mailing address. I think Johns Creek is allowed to be used now, but some may still use Duluth on some of their materials.

The reason this makes a difference is because that portion of what used to be called Duluth is actually in Fulton county and the Chattahoochee River makes the border between Fulton and Gwinnett counties in that area. There are not many bridges that cross the river, so you want to try to make sure you don't find yourself having to cross it daily for your commute if you don't have to.

Aside from that, cwkimbro's post is extremely accurate. It contains a lot more information about Gwinnett county than I know about, I just used some of the logic that she discussed where I stayed as close to the river and Fulton county as I could and it seemed to be a good choice. I do find myself dropping into Johns Creek often for shopping and dining options and I like the proximity, but I'm glad I don't have to do it during commuter hours. I also like being able to pop down to the Forum shops pretty easily as well as jumping up to Mall of Georgia without taking I-85. It is true what she said about there being more offices and some apartments in the area, but I feel pretty strongly that the Peachtree Industrial corridor is a pretty stable and good are to be in. If you have kids, I might try to stay on the Suwanee side of Sugarloaf to be in the Peacthree Ridge school district. Duluth cluster isn't bad, (at least, not yet) but Peachtree Ridge is a bit better.
Thanks! We don't have kids yet but are planning on it, so that is something to consider. Johns Creek seems nice but ouch a little pricey for renting, at least ) But being nearby for shopping sounds like a good idea!

So what I am getting from most of the responses here is that the north-west part of Gwinnett is best? Basically from Lawrenceville city proper and draw a line west and north to make an odd sort of square? (picturing it in my head). Correct me if that's wrong..

Old 10-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Yea I am kind of curious... There is a big difference between working in Johns Creek (there are offices off of States Bridge Road and near the intersection of Medlock Bridge and McGinnis Ferry), Duluth proper (near Peachtree industrial are some industrial/office parks), and Duluth unicorporated (near Gwinnett Place Mall and Pleasant Hill @ I-85; There are lots of offices here and NCR, but the area is really midway between Lawrenceville, Lilburn, and Duluth), and Sugarloaf @ I-85. All of these areas have a Duluth zip code.

If you can provide which area or what major intersection the job is near you can get some really good recommendations.

The good news ... there are alot of nice areas all around in total. You might also want to consider... how permanent is this employer? Does he need to keep commuting access to Atlanta proper?

I want to be within 15 miles of Duluth unincorporated, near the mall/Pleasant hill/I-85 - that's the commute zone.

I didn't really realize there was that many sections of Duluth to be more specific..oops!

I'm 10-15 miles from most shopping and whatnot where we are located now, only one pizza joint will even deliver to our house. It's a little frustrating. I don't want to be that far from "town" again, to give you an idea too.

I'm getting the vibe that Snellville is not the greatest? I see a lot of rentals there but.. Hmmm?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,452,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicsweetie View Post
I want to be within 15 miles of Duluth unincorporated, near the mall/Pleasant hill/I-85 - that's the commute zone.

I didn't really realize there was that many sections of Duluth to be more specific..oops!

I'm 10-15 miles from most shopping and whatnot where we are located now, only one pizza joint will even deliver to our house. It's a little frustrating. I don't want to be that far from "town" again, to give you an idea too.

I'm getting the vibe that Snellville is not the greatest? I see a lot of rentals there but.. Hmmm?
The Brookwood and Grayson areas are great! It's the southern portion of Snellville, south of 78, that is a less desirable area.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,303,927 times
Quote:

quick caveats:
-don't home shop by city; shop by school high school clusters. Most our schools are in between cities and reach out across multiple zip codes.

-Pleasant Hill Rd traffic can get pretty bad. It bottlenecks at the bridge over I-85 and going further west into N. Fulton. Recent upgrades make it better going west within Gwinnett (there is now an overpass at Buford highway). They are also starting construction on the bridge over I-85. It won't be done until the summer of next year, so it will be worse until then... and better after.

-Good schools: Brookwood, Grayson, Peachtree Ridge, Collins Hill, North Gwinnett, and Mill Creek

-mediocre/average schools: Meadowcreek, Berkmar, Central Gwinnett

-Good schools, but you need extra considerations/advice if you choose to go in that direction: Norcross and Duluth.

Snelleville is great.... but.....

-Limit the search to Brookwood and Grayson.... especially recommend Brookwood. Don't look south of 78 in Shiloh and or South Gwinnett. (Granted these are okay areas to rent in w/o kids in school!)

-There is a mini-freeway that deads end into Pleasant Hill Rd in Lilburn. This will get you to Gwinnett Place Mall fairly quickly. The exits of Five Forks and Webb Gin House rd go to brookwood high and it is one of the top rated high school in the state and a large feeder school for UGA and GT.

-At the other end of Ronald Reagan at 124 in Snelleville you have lots of good shopping and a nice area called The Avenue at Webb Ginn (house Rd.). Although, you will want to drive up to the Mall of Georgia in Buford from time to time.

-The housing stock unlike the other recommendations I'm about to give you... is more diverse. The area is a bit older by about 15-20 years. You will find 70s era ranches, 80s era brick colonials, and a bunch of larger 90's era houses and some new developments. This diversity in housing might make more rentals and more price points. A 70s era ranch will give you less house, but will get you into a nice area cheaper.

-The grayson area is closer to the suburban/exurban fringe and got hit hard with the foreclosure crisis. It is a good area/school, but might take more time to stabilize. However, perhaps it is a good time to get in with a good deal.

-These areas are off the beaten path... few apartments, industrial districts, and shopping areas. Mostly just bedroom suburbs, schools, libraries, and parks.

The other two areas I still recommend:

-Collins hill: It is mostly single family homes and a really easy/quick drive to the Gwinnett Place area w/o getting on a freeway via Duluth Highway, Breckinridge Blvd, and Old Norcross rd to get over I-85.

-Suwannee (Peachtree Ridge and North Gwinnett): This is the new up and coming and more affluent area. The housing stock is mostly new and a bit more expensive. The Suwanee town center is a small jewel. However, I recommend driving west 5-10 further away from I-85. If history from what happened in Duluth and Norcross tells us from state laws, zoning policy, and property owner rights is that more apartments will inevitably be built closer to I-85... will be nice for awhile, but then decay faster than the single family homes nearby... stay further west

I would take the time to at least drive out to Brookwood, Suwannee, and Collins Hill. There are some slight differences to the look and feel of each area. All 3 are good overall.

Brookwood will be all single family homes and homogenous, but won't reach N. Fulton easily. Suwannee will have more industrial areas and businesses, and apartments move in near the freeway, but will have the nicest developments/choice properties in the county to be near those businesses, as well as easy access to quality jobs in N. Fulton.

I will close with this: Here is a link the the Gwinnett County Public schools cluster map: Gwinnett County Public Schools Cluster Boundaries

You'll notice the dark blue blobs from the previous maps often follow school district boundaries. Also notice school districts often straddle between cities and most Gwinnett cities have good and weak schools within their zip code.

Click on each cluster, click the high school, and you can pull up a detailed street level map of what neighborhoods are inside that school district.

Sample:

Brookwood: http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/2E85616884640F49852575DE0068813E/$file/Brookwood_Cluster_Map_2011-12.pdf
Peachtree Ridge: http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/7DAC1ABEEA3D0AB7852575E4006365F4/$file/Peachtree_Ridge_Cluster_Map_2011-12.pdf

Use this for your house search and I bet you will start some subtle price differences for the same house size/age.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM

7,728 posts, read 9,599,672 times
I'm glad you brought up I-85.

I know that Old Norcross makes it much easier to get over (it's just a bridge with no actual I-85 access), but wouldn't you say that all things being equal, it still makes pretty good sense to try to live on whichever side of I-85 you plan on spending most of your time on?

Those are kind of benchmarks for me....try to limit how many times you have to cross I-85 and the river during commuter hours.

And definitely, definitely shop by school district. Even if you have no kids, whoever buys your house when it's time to sell is more than likely going to care about it.

I would like to add that in Suwanee you also have access to the Gwinnett Place area using backroads (Buford Hwy. to Davenport) and can avoid pretty much all traffic. Reiterating cwkimbro's point, if you choose to live west of I-85, which is a good decision, the further west and closer to the river you can get the better for exactly the reason she stated.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm glad you brought up I-85.

I know that Old Norcross makes it much easier to get over (it's just a bridge with no actual I-85 access), but wouldn't you say that all things being equal, it still makes pretty good sense to try to live on whichever side of I-85 you plan on spending most of your time on?
Maybe. It is a good consideration.

I think the thing about the triangle between 316 and I-85 that is collins Hill (and peachtree Ridge) is it is slightly closer. Suwanee is a big further north, especially if you need to stay at the lower price points for the areas. So I think the time advantage is the same.

For Brookwood it is a bit further away so... I'd add 5 minutes for crossing west on Pleasant Hill. If you were working north near NCR, it might make sense to avoid traffic and go Sweetwater to Old Norcross.

Either way.. I think these 3 areas will provide options to fit tastes and price better w/ a pretty short commute. I'd go with whatever you felt most comfortable with when you see on the ground.

If the work is on the east side near Crestwood ... I would just cross over at Boggs Rd or Old Norcross to access Peachtree Ridge/Suwanee...perhaps add 5 minutes, but its doable.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 7,738 times
I would try North Norcross or Johns Creek. These are close to Duluth and you would be going against traffic. If you go north to south in the morning you are with traffic. So look a little south and go north to Duluth. John's Creek is especially nice. I agree with the above post let us know where in duluth because that really matters.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM

OK Guys! I am back. I was waiting until I got further into my search and into viewings before I posted again.

Thank you all for your input, it definitely has helped me narrow things down, but it turns out that for the size, price and the fact that we need it to be cat-friendly (that seems to be the biggest issue) there isn't a lot to choose from in the areas you all suggested. Right now there are only two listings even in the general Lawrenceville area that fit what we need.

Out of the two remaining houses the one I find most desirable as far as the property itself, is in the 30044 zip code, off the north side of Ronald Reagan parkway and a few miles north of Bethesda Park.

Thoughts on this area? Going to view tomorrow evening. Thanks :-)

Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
OK Guys! I am back. I was waiting until I got further into my search and into viewings before I posted again.

Thank you all for your input, it definitely has helped me narrow things down, but it turns out that for the size, price and the fact that we need it to be cat-friendly (that seems to be the biggest issue) there isn't a lot to choose from in the areas you all suggested. Right now there are only two listings even in the general Lawrenceville area that fit what we need.

Out of the two remaining houses the one I find most desirable as far as the property itself, is in the 30044 zip code, off the north side of Ronald Reagan parkway and a few miles north of Bethesda Park.

Thoughts on this area? Going to view tomorrow evening. Thanks :-)
The area is nice. It is right near Bethesda Park, which is nice. It is a quiet suburban area with easy access to Snelleville and the mall area.

The caveat is schools, but you don't have kids yet and you're renting. Visit it and see if you like it... try it. You'll get to know the area before you have kids and can decide particulars on where to move then.

The School caveat is this... that little corner north of Ronald Reagon and south of Gloster Rd and east of US 29 is zoned to Berkmar High. North of Gloster, but east of US 29 is Brookwood. But, if you go too far north your in central Gwinnett.

Brookwood is a -great-, one of the best in the state, school and central and Berkmar are average schools. Berkmar doesn't meet federal AYP requirements under the no child left behind act every few years. The core issue isn't the neighborhoods or the schools... its just the sheer large transient population living in apartments near Gwinnett Place Mall zoned to Berkmar.

The area is also very diverse.

I would recommend taking a quick detour down Ronald Reagon pkwy to where the freeway ends at GA124 and go north to the Avenue at Web Ginn and a little ways south. It is a big shopping area those of us in southern Gwinnett like more than the mall. ... or north to Sugarloaf pkwy near I-85.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta