U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,441,933 times

Advertisements

Businesses in downtown near parking meters are losing business. My barber moved from a location with free parking to a location with meter parking and I changed barbers because I refused to pay for parking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,496,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Raise the parking rates to encourage more people to use mass transit.

That's BS.

This is Atlanta, not freakin London. No one forces you out of your car in Chicago or San Fran, it's just easier not to use it.

Not only does Marta not cover enough of the city in a timely frequent maner like dense city transits but it isn't even available after certain times at night.

Make it so I can conviently get to where I need EVERYWHERE in town with better transit and denser development then I won't have to be forced put of my car. Marta/Atlanta aren't at the level of service and density to try to force folks out thier cars and the wages here aren't high enough.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,625,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
That's BS.

This is Atlanta, not freakin London. No one forces you out of your car in Chicago or San Fran, it's just easier not to use it.

Not only does Marta not cover enough of the city in a timely frequent maner like dense city transits but it isn't even available after certain times at night.

Make it so I can conviently get to where I need EVERYWHERE in town with better transit and denser development then I won't have to be forced put of my car. Marta/Atlanta aren't at the level of service and density to try to force folks out thier cars and the wages here aren't high enough.
This.

The pricing is a product of simple supply and demand. Why does parking cost so much in Boston and other cities? It is scarce. Here it is not scarce. There is an abundant supply of parking in downtown and midtown areas. Perhaps this will shift over time, but why to the new intown developments keep adding more parking if there is already a surplus? The consumers are demanding it. This is simple free market economics at work. IF there were a reliable, cost-effective alternative to driving in this city, perhaps the parking would not be so abundant and relied upon.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM

Yeah, you gotta make the city more transit/walk friendly.

With the way Atlanta is now increasing parking cost would just keep people from coming into town if they don't need to and cause more business to locate in low density burbs to offer free parking.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM

3,215 posts, read 4,536,779 times
San Francisco does not make the argument you guys want it to make. Their off street parking maximums are very strict and much lower than Atlanta's. The scarcity is artificial in other words, brought about by government regulation in addition to market forces.

I could look into Boston as well, but I'm sure the situation is the same.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM
JPD

11,917 posts, read 14,577,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What if they don't want to use mass transit?
They could try riding a bike or walking.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
San Francisco does not make the argument you guys want it to make. Their off street parking maximums are very strict and much lower than Atlanta's. The scarcity is artificial in other words, brought about by government regulation in addition to market forces.

I could look into Boston as well, but I'm sure the situation is the same.
So they keep parking prices low and people still use transit. I'm not seeing what your point was?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM

3,215 posts, read 4,536,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
So they keep parking prices low and people still use transit. I'm not seeing what your point was?
No, they keep parking supply low by not allowing people to build very much of it. Prices for parking in SF are exorbitantly high as a consequence. In fact, by capping parking at 0.25 to 0.5 spaces per bedroom, San Francisco in effect forces landlords to price parking separately from the rent. The whole idea of SF's policy is to strongly nudge people towards using mass transit. This is exactly the sort of thing cqholt probably would support in Atlanta, if I had to guess.

Once again, if we're trumpeting a "free market in parking", then SF is absolutely not the case you should be looking at.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM

22,383 posts, read 16,401,424 times
Quote:
No, they keep parking supply low by not allowing people to build very much of it. Prices for parking in SF are exorbitantly high as a consequence. In fact, by capping parking at 0.25 to 0.5 spaces per bedroom, San Francisco in effect forces landlords to price parking separately from the rent. The whole idea of SF's policy is to strongly nudge people towards using mass transit. This is exactly the sort of thing cqholt probably would support in Atlanta, if I had to guess.
That is what I was trying to get at, before corndog attacked my comments like a troll so I gave up. If we, the citizens of Atlanta city proper that want to see more transit use, denser development, cleaner environment, less car-use, a big way to encourage that is to increase parking rates and decrease parking spots making it more expensive for Dunwoody Donna or Sandy Springs Susy to drive her SUV to Midtown and watch a show at the Fox.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Once again, if we're trumpeting a "free market in parking", then SF is absolutely not the case you should be looking at.
So San Fransisco made the city more transit/walk friendly by forcing dense development and better transit acess. That proves my point.

I wasn't arguing over free markets. My argument was Atlanta is not ready to force people out of cars as it is built now.

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 10-10-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or