U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM
 
28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Reputation: 9544

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
OK, now I've heard everything. You're saying that people shouldn't take MARTA from places that are well served by MARTA (Sandy Springs and Dunwoody) to other places that are well served by MARTA (the Fox)?
I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

It's a matter of convenience and several other factors. When I went downtown yesterday I could have taken MARTA, but it was much faster to drive. I was able to come and go on my own schedule, and my car is a heck of lot more comfortable. I also had to transport some material and it was easier to do that by car. I was also able to run some other errands on the same trip which I could not have accomplished via MARTA (at least not without great effort and a LOT more time).

The same thing applies to the lady from Dunwoody. Yes, she can take MARTA but and sometimes she might. Often, however, it will be simpler to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
The same thing applies to the lady from Dunwoody. Yes, she can take MARTA but and sometimes she might. Often, however, it will be simpler to drive.
The traffic for Fox events parking is awful. Its simpler to just park your car at a covered garage, ride the train, get out and walk 800 feet to the Fox entrance, https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.7...03484&t=m&z=19. How lazy are we in America?
Quote:
When I went downtown yesterday I could have taken MARTA, but it was much faster to drive
At least MARTA gave you that option. What if there was not MARTA, then you would have no option and 185,000 more cars would be on Atlanta's congested roads. Its all about transportation options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,567 posts, read 8,639,816 times
Reputation: 5071
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

It's a matter of convenience and several other factors. When I went downtown yesterday I could have taken MARTA, but it was much faster to drive. I was able to come and go on my own schedule, and my car is a heck of lot more comfortable. I also had to transport some material and it was easier to do that by car. I was also able to run some other errands on the same trip which I could not have accomplished via MARTA (at least not without great effort and a LOT more time).

The same thing applies to the lady from Dunwoody. Yes, she can take MARTA but and sometimes she might. Often, however, it will be simpler to drive.
Thank you, Arjay. I guess I should have picked my own monicker instead of Dunwoody Donna - What about Duluth Dianne? Now, she would have an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM
 
985 posts, read 1,431,245 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Thank you, Arjay. I guess I should have picked my own monicker instead of Dunwoody Donna - What about Duluth Dianne? Now, she would have an issue.
I think the answer is some where in the middle. If you are coming to the Fox for a night out, you shouldn't be forced to take MARTA. However, if you do drive, your parking should reflect the true cost of driving into the City. Should it be NYC, DC, or SFC prices... NO. Should it be 5 dollars as currently advertised, NO.

Atlanta has too many surface parking in the Downtown & Midtown, too much underused non peak parking garages, their needs to be a balance. This is not a MARTA vs Parking issue. This is truly a parking vs parking issue.

THe FOX example for instance. Everyone from the burbs drive to the FOX, no big deal, I would too if I was in black tie. However, here is the issue. There is adequate non peak parking garages within a quarter mile walking distance. Bellsouth, Georgia Terrace, Bank of America, etc all have parking available to handle any show at any capacity. The problem is the surface parking lots, they bring down the true cost of parking because it's purely a cash operations, while they wait to develop the land. Forget the MARTA argument, BANNED surface parking lots in Downtown & Midtown....except the gulch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
Thank you, Arjay. I guess I should have picked my own monicker instead of Dunwoody Donna - What about Duluth Dianne? Now, she would have an issue.
Doraville Station. Marietta Mary or Kennesaw Katie would have the toughest time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM
 
3,208 posts, read 4,511,706 times
Reputation: 1732
Events like Fox aren't really the issue. It's commuters and residents. In that order. And before you say nobody will ever live in Atlanta without a car, it's simply not true. I live in Atlanta without a car, and have three friends who do the same. Two of us have significant others who do have a car; the two others don't. And the more folks who decide to go carless, the more businesses will have to adapt to carless folks, hence making it easier to go carless. Rinse, repeat. The secret conspiracy of parking caps has been revealed!

The Fox already has all of the parking capacity it will ever need nearby. Probably fivefold on top of that. Shaping new developments to have less rather than more parking is the real issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,567 posts, read 8,639,816 times
Reputation: 5071
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Events like Fox aren't really the issue. It's commuters and residents. In that order. And before you say nobody will ever live in Atlanta without a car, it's simply not true. I live in Atlanta without a car, and have three friends who do the same. Two of us have significant others who do have a car; the two others don't. And the more folks who decide to go carless, the more businesses will have to adapt to carless folks, hence making it easier to go carless. Rinse, repeat. The secret conspiracy of parking caps has been revealed!

The Fox already has all of the parking capacity it will ever need nearby. Probably fivefold on top of that. Shaping new developments to have less rather than more parking is the real issue.
Do you have children? What about pets who need a yard? Yes - some people can do without a car. I never could - 3 kids to get to school, 3 dogs who need a yard. Friends out of town to visit. Etc. I appreciate those who don't have to have a car, but it is a small minority who can get by without one. And many office towers will NEVER open their underground parking to public events - they deem the security risk too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
I never could - 3 kids to get to school
School buses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM
 
28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Reputation: 9544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
At least MARTA gave you that option. What if there was not MARTA, then you would have no option and 185,000 more cars would be on Atlanta's congested roads. Its all about transportation options.
Yep, I love having MARTA and have always made a point to live near public transportation. It's terrific to have that option.

However, an option is just that -- a choice. The fact that public transportation is there doesn't mean you HAVE to take it, any more than you HAVE to drive. Both have their pros and cons, depending on the circumstances and your needs.

That's why I hate to see these discussions turning into car bashing by transit fans, and transit bashing by those who like to drive. That leads nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
That's why I hate to see these discussions turning into car bashing by transit fans, and transit bashing by those who like to drive. That leads nowhere.
Whoa, I have not once bashed cars or those that own cars in this thread. I just want to make the transit option and more importantly rail-based transit an option to more people in the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top