U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,666,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
School buses?
Nope. Private schools. No school buses. Carpooling yes - but I have to drive several times a week. I also travel most days to client offices - as do very very many other people. Cannot rely on Marta for that. I guess there is always the Zip Car thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,518,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Do you have children? What about pets who need a yard? Yes - some people can do without a car. I never could - 3 kids to get to school, 3 dogs who need a yard. Friends out of town to visit. Etc. I appreciate those who don't have to have a car, but it is a small minority who can get by without one. And many office towers will NEVER open their underground parking to public events - they deem the security risk too high.
I never suggested that nobody needs a car. Just that not everybody needs their own car.

It's a chicken/egg issue, really. The built environment is designed for cars. So people mainly choose to drive cars. So the built environment is even more designed for cars. The idea of a parking cap is to nudge the built environment in the direction of not being built exclusively for cars. And, once again, I'm only suggesting a marginal tightening of maximum parking requirements.

Re: office towers and parking. Most of the towers don't have underground parking; it's just as often detached. The detached ones tend to be just fine with allowing hourly parking for special events.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,490,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I disagree on both points. Atlanta already has the parking cap; it ought to be made a bit more stringent. The sky won't fall as a result, just like it hasn't fallen in all the other cities across the country that have done the exact same thing.
You missed the whole point about Atlanta not having dense development and reliable transit.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM

22,209 posts, read 16,238,370 times
Quote:
Nope. Private schools. No school buses. Carpooling yes - but I have to drive several times a week. I also travel most days to client offices - as do very very many other people. Cannot rely on Marta for that. I guess there is always the Zip Car thing
Private school huh, then I don't feel bad for you because you can afford to drive. You live in the best APS district; Springdale or Lin, Inman, and Grady.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,490,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Events like Fox aren't really the issue. It's commuters and residents. In that order. And before you say nobody will ever live in Atlanta without a car, it's simply not true. I live in Atlanta without a car, and have three friends who do the same. Two of us have significant others who do have a car; the two others don't. And the more folks who decide to go carless, the more businesses will have to adapt to carless folks, hence making it easier to go carless. Rinse, repeat. The secret conspiracy of parking caps has been revealed!

The Fox already has all of the parking capacity it will ever need nearby. Probably fivefold on top of that. Shaping new developments to have less rather than more parking is the real issue.
Lol, and some people live without a house/apartment. That doesn't make it practical or feasable for most people.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,518,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Lol, and some people live without a house/apartment. That doesn't make it practical or feasable for most people.
An incremental tightening of the parking cap doesn't require "most people" to go without a car. More like "a fraction of the fraction of people who choose to live in a new development in a fraction of the city". The purpose is to shave a floor or two off that hulking garage over by Skyhouse, which I'd bet hits 100% capacity 2-3x per year at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or