U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,731 posts, read 2,002,077 times
Reputation: 1894

Advertisements

Coming soon to a highway near you: Glow in the dark roads.
Futuristic highway glows in the dark, reports the weather  - FutureTech on NBCNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2015, 03:36 PM
 
7,724 posts, read 9,590,234 times
Reputation: 5701
Just thought I'd bump up this old thread where we discussed highway lighting a few years ago.

I was shocked to see some posters were actually AGAINST street lighting because of its contribution to light pollution and use of energy.

I'm glad to see we've progressed in at least this area and now seem to more or less have consensus that more highway lighting is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 05:32 PM
 
Location: atlanta
3,976 posts, read 4,584,381 times
Reputation: 3248
i think light pollution really is a valid concern that needs to be addressed as our metro area becomes larger and larger. it does have an effect on us and wildlife, and who doesn't like seeing the stars?

that being said, the general pattern of road lighting in the metro area is either that it's too bright or it's not there at all. there needs to be a consistent standard of roadway lighting for the whole metro based on vehicle and pedestrian traffic, and the size of the road.

and personally i think that in forested areas outside of the major commerical centers, there needs to be a ban on non-cutoff lights that are any brighter than a 100 watt bulb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 06:15 PM
 
7,724 posts, read 9,590,234 times
Reputation: 5701
I have no problem with cutoff lights.

But I also think this is a metro area. If you want to see stars, the other 95% of the country is just dandy for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 PM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,148 posts, read 5,760,558 times
Reputation: 1784
I just made the drive up to the Mid Atlantic from Atlanta. Interesting that after you leave Gwinnett, lights become pretty non existent on 75. Same for South Carolina. North Carolina is dark in the country but lights in most of Charlotte and the other big cities. Another plus are their overhead signs are lighted. Not all of them but a strong majority.

VA was dark as well like GA until you reached Richmond then all of the exits upward on 95 had lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,235 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think light pollution really is a valid concern that needs to be addressed as our metro area becomes larger and larger. it does have an effect on us and wildlife, and who doesn't like seeing the stars?

that being said, the general pattern of road lighting in the metro area is either that it's too bright or it's not there at all. there needs to be a consistent standard of roadway lighting for the whole metro based on vehicle and pedestrian traffic, and the size of the road.

and personally i think that in forested areas outside of the major commerical centers, there needs to be a ban on non-cutoff lights that are any brighter than a 100 watt bulb.
The new LED street lights GA Power has been installing in CoA does a great job of minimizing light pollution up and keeps most of it shining on the ground. Having street lights is a safety issue, without lights it becomes difficult for drivers to see peds, cyclists, and other cars. Preservation of life trumps light pollution and 'seeing the stars.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 06:27 AM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,995,412 times
Reputation: 1426
It's an artifact of being the country at one time, I think. Ppl still like it dark. I have been saying this about side streets since forever. Street lights are optional in the South, I guess. Guess it's just a way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali 2 Tha South n Back View Post
With Atlanta city proper being 430k and Metro Atlanta being 5.2 million, seems like they should be having a well lit freeway, I mean, expressway system at night. But it's not. What is up with that? With more cars and more traffic, this is very dangerous. Even California freeway systems are safer to drive at night in the urban regions than in Atlanta, despite limiting their lighting to exit and entrance ramps. Also bright road reflectors and lights from elevated suburbs compensate for it too.

The lit portions of expressway:
I-75 - I-285 interchange to the Chattahoochie Bridge, then picks up in Marietta from Delk to North Marrietta Pkwy. Interchange lights at 54 in Morrow.
I-85 - Riverdale Road near the airport to Dekalb County line, then picks up again from Spaghetti Junction to 316. Interchange lights at Fairburn Industrial and Jonesboro Road in South Fulton.
I-75/85 Connector - see above two. Now for some reason the lights in Midtown haven't been turned back on since the reconstruction around 14th Street although that new section went to high masts.
I-20 - all lit inside the Perimeter
I-285 - NO LIGHTS, NOTHING! Only exceptions: both I-20 interchanges and I-75 interchange near the airport. Even the Spaghetti Junction is pitch black except I-85 running thru.
GA 400 - only at the interchanges with I-85, Sidney Marcus, Lenox, the hated 50 cent toll booth, and a section from Glenridge to just some ramps to and from 285.
166 Langford Parkway - all lit except for the 285 interchange
Freedom Parkway and the forgotten Highway 13/Buford Expwy (Midtown to Sid Marcus) - all lit
Stone Mountain Expwy, GA 400 outside the Perimeter and I-675 have no lights.

With that said, Atlanta is a major city and metropolis with traffic issues, so there is no excuse for some genius at GDOT to be so cheap on lighting their expressways. It's pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 06:29 AM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,995,412 times
Reputation: 1426
My point exactly below. Ppl like it dark in the South. Artifact of being the country at one point in time, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I just made the drive up to the Mid Atlantic from Atlanta. Interesting that after you leave Gwinnett, lights become pretty non existent on 75. Same for South Carolina. North Carolina is dark in the country but lights in most of Charlotte and the other big cities. Another plus are their overhead signs are lighted. Not all of them but a strong majority.

VA was dark as well like GA until you reached Richmond then all of the exits upward on 95 had lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2015, 05:19 AM
 
Location: atlanta
3,976 posts, read 4,584,381 times
Reputation: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The new LED street lights GA Power has been installing in CoA does a great job of minimizing light pollution up and keeps most of it shining on the ground. Having street lights is a safety issue, without lights it becomes difficult for drivers to see peds, cyclists, and other cars. Preservation of life trumps light pollution and 'seeing the stars.'
agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2015, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
675 posts, read 1,019,614 times
Reputation: 527
Because our leadership is ultra conservative and they feel if you have headlights, why need lights on the roadways. Smart right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top