U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:17 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,589,949 times

Advertisements

Wow so touching on the subject of the certain types of Lights. I was driving into Atlanta today from the east and you can SEE the lightglow from 20 miles away from downtown Atlanta...it's very bright and the closer you got, the brighter the sky got!

The light pollution is massive for Atlanta, so I can imagine what NY and Chicago is like. LA is also VERY bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,421,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Wow so touching on the subject of the certain types of Lights. I was driving into Atlanta today from the east and you can SEE the lightglow from 20 miles away from downtown Atlanta...it's very bright and the closer you got, the brighter the sky got!

The light pollution is massive for Atlanta, so I can imagine what NY and Chicago is like. LA is also VERY bad.
Driving up I-65, I could see the light pollution hitting the clouds from Chicagoland a full 100 miles away. It was really something! At first I thought it was a random sports field or something lighting up the clouds in the distance but it didn't go away and just got bigger and bigger all the way to Gary.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:23 AM

3,962 posts, read 4,555,055 times
when it comes to new streetlights, now that the sodium vapour ones are beginning to be phased out (thank goodness), i'd love ones like these they've got in california:

they use induction bulbs, which were invented by nikola tesla. i'm sure they make LEDs that have a similar colour as well. either way, i think a cool, greenish-white is the way to go.

my least favourites are the new ones they have in chicago, which are ceramic metal halide:

they are the exact same colour as sunlight, which is kind of disturbing, it'd keep you up all night. fortunately these don't seem to be the most popular choice.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:27 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Of course GDOT is the reason! Who the hell else would be? GDOT builds and maintains all highways in this state -- including the interstates. The roads in neighboring states -- particularly SC and Alabama -- are horrific! Local roads are maintained via state and federal funds almost exclusively. The cost of building and maintaining roads is far far too great for local governments to undertake alone.

This threads proves that there's an awful lot of misconception and ignorance out there about how transportation works.
We've been driving quite a bit in Alabama over the past two years (we like taking road trips on weekends to see random places), and I've not see much in the way of bad roads.

The Alabama roads we've driven on seem comparable to Georgia. And we're mainly taking county and state roads, not the interstates.

I'm not saying GDOT isn't doing a good job, and they probably are responsible for some of what we see, but I'm curious how their processes and policies compare to places with much harsher climates like the state I came from (Minnesota) which is a very different beast in the winter season than anyplace in Georgia.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-13-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,984,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Of course GDOT is the reason! Who the hell else would be? GDOT builds and maintains all highways in this state -- including the interstates. The roads in neighboring states -- particularly SC and Alabama -- are horrific! Local roads are maintained via state and federal funds almost exclusively. The cost of building and maintaining roads is far far too great for local governments to undertake alone.

This threads proves that there's an awful lot of misconception and ignorance out there about how transportation works.
All other states have built thousands of miles of NEW interstates and limited-access highways in the past 30 years.

Georgia has built almost ZERO. I-75, I-85, I-20 and probably I-285 were built and paid for by the federal government way back in the 1960's.

Metro Atlanta should have triple the numbers of freeways it currently has.

GDOT merely resurfaces existing roads, and yes, they are smooth and nice. But come on, they aren't planning for the future in any way.

The stretch of I-95 near Savannah could be paved in gold, but it can't be used to assess the adequacy of Georgia's highways, especially for a state with 10 million people.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,422,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
All other states have built thousands of miles of NEW interstates and limited-access highways in the past 30 years.

Georgia has built almost ZERO. I-75, I-85, I-20 and probably I-285 were built and paid for by the federal government way back in the 1960's.

GDOT merely resurfaces existing roads, and yes, they are smooth and nice. But come on, they aren't planning for the future in any way.

The stretch of I-95 near Savannah could be paved in gold, but it can't be used to assess the adequacy of Georgia's highways, especially for a state with 10 million people.
Well said, I have been designing an interstate from Tallahassee to Augusta to Greenville to Knoxville to replace the I-3 idea and when I submitted it to the DOT all I was told was it was a good design but no funding. I have always said the state should be build more in Columbus, Augusta, and Savannah.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:51 PM

38 posts, read 52,048 times
atl only has 430k people and metro 5 million? wow, i thought atl was much bigger..seems like the suburbs has more people than the city itself. well i have family there i visit sometimes and i have noticed the same thing..its like you are driving in the country with no lights...very few spots that are lit on the freeways. i always wonder why this was so too.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrecker View Post
atl only has 430k people and metro 5 million? wow, i thought atl was much bigger..seems like the suburbs has more people than the city itself. well i have family there i visit sometimes and i have noticed the same thing..its like you are driving in the country with no lights...very few spots that are lit on the freeways. i always wonder why this was so too.
I think most metro areas of Atlanta's general size in the US are that way ... the core city is only 20% of the metro population or smaller.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM

3,962 posts, read 4,555,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Well said, I have been designing an interstate from Tallahassee to Augusta to Greenville to Knoxville to replace the I-3 idea and when I submitted it to the DOT all I was told was it was a good design but no funding. I have always said the state should be build more in Columbus, Augusta, and Savannah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

the last thing we need is more freeways. the reason we stopped building them in the 60s is because of the activism that occured here to prevent more freeways from being built. had this not occured, virginia-highland, part of piedmont park, most of the old fourth ward, and ponce going out towards 285 would all be freeways. freeways have ruined atlanta enough. the interstate project needs to be announced as completed.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the last thing we need is more freeways. the reason we stopped building them in the 60s is because of the activism that occured here to prevent more freeways from being built. had this not occured, virginia-highland, part of piedmont park, most of the old fourth ward, and ponce going out towards 285 would all be freeways. freeways have ruined atlanta enough. the interstate project needs to be announced as completed.
I disagree. Atlanta's main problem, as viewed from someone from a metro with an entire GRID of freeways instead of just a single big asterisk with a circle around it, is that the Atlanta metro has very few alternative routes of any size.

If you want to go from A to B in Atlanta, there is usually only ONE freeway to choose from, and it only takes a single accident to stop that freeway to a crawl. When that happens, you get traffic meltdown, and each those meltdowns can end up impacting a significant portion of the metro.

The main problem with Atlanta's road system isn't really capacity ... it's reliability.

Besides, freeways don't have to be interstates. I'm not sure where you got that idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or