U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 AM

13,099 posts, read 15,911,562 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing this "build more freeways" argument for years, but I guarantee you NONE of the people who advocate for freeways EVER want them in their neighborhood. C-D does NOT accurately reflect the opinion of the general public at large, and Atlantans (yes ... ATLANTANS!) have historically made it very clear that they don't want more expressways destroying the very fabric of the city that makes it so attractive to begin with. Yeah, that's not solving the problem or being realistic but it is placing the blame where it belongs, and not on an ineffective state DOT like so many of y'all are trying to do.

Atlanta is a unique city in all of America. The topography, the history, the serpentine surface road network simply can't be compared to cities in Texas or out west. I don't know what or if there's a solution to Atlanta's traffic woes, but simply saying "build more expressways like Houston" does not and will not work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 AM

12,994 posts, read 17,122,083 times
A few thoughts on this topic...

1. DeKalb County has no lighting on any of its highways except for near the major interchanges. That's where most of the real darkness is on the highways in metro Atlanta. Gwinnett County is the most brightly lit. Cobb County is more dimly lit. Fulton County is the most inconsistently lit.

2. When I first moved to Georgia, I noticed that the kerning on many of the older highway signs was lousy. It made them look like they were put together by 10-year-olds. The tall FHWA font that Georgia uses is unique, but one thing I don't like about it is that the exit numbers on the tabs at the top are very small.

3. Metro Atlanta has never struck me as underserved by highways. The real problem is the lack of alternate routes and the programming of the traffic signals. In Georgia, apparently traffic signals have to detect a vehicle approaching before turning yellow. It's absurd. If there's a brief cluster of vehicles approaching, then wait for them to clear and then turn yellow.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,874,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I disagree. Atlanta's main problem, as viewed from someone from a metro with an entire GRID of freeways instead of just a single big asterisk with a circle around it, is that the Atlanta metro has very few alternative routes of any size.

If you want to go from A to B in Atlanta, there is usually only ONE freeway to choose from, and it only takes a single accident to stop that freeway to a crawl. When that happens, you get traffic meltdown, and each those meltdowns can end up impacting a significant portion of the metro.

The main problem with Atlanta's road system isn't really capacity ... it's reliability.

Besides, freeways don't have to be interstates. I'm not sure where you got that idea?
Yep, the lack of alternate routes is insane. I was at an event this past weekend ane we were talking about this very thing. Not being able to use 285 almost caused the cancellation of an event we planned months in advance! And the lack of east west connection at the top of the perimeter is insane as well.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:58 AM

5,207 posts, read 5,964,106 times
The darkness might have cause this death

Natina Reed: Police seeking help investigating Atlanta... | www.ajc.com

Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 PM

183 posts, read 231,366 times
I've always wondered why our highways are so dark as well. Especially 285, and I've noticed many portions that do have lights aren't even lit. Also, why isn't 75 or 575 isn't widened? I noticed though, while in school in Albany, why did the DOT recently(at the time) widen that road between Albany and Americus(a road with VERY little traffic), when ATL roads and transit aren't even adequate enough. Priorities a little twisted??

Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,896,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
I've always wondered why our highways are so dark as well. Especially 285, and I've noticed many portions that do have lights aren't even lit. Also, why isn't 75 or 575 isn't widened? I noticed though, while in school in Albany, why did the DOT recently(at the time) widen that road between Albany and Americus(a road with VERY little traffic), when ATL roads and transit aren't even adequate enough. Priorities a little twisted??
75 is 16 lanes wide at one point, isn't it? Or is it "only" 14 lanes through Marietta?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,422,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
What you have to understand is yes Atlanta is the largest region of the state and rates the most funds for transportation infrastructure, but it is not the only area in the state. The GDOT does a pretty good job at determining which roadways need improvement and widen. In the case of I-575 and I-75, those interstates are in the process of being widen with toll HOT lanes to be added. That stretch is the widest in the nation anyways so I don't know how much wider you want it to get.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Taking a Toll New reversible lanes welcome for 75 575 corridor

Office of Highway Policy Information (OHPI) – Travel Monitoring

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,404,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Yep, the lack of alternate routes is insane. I was at an event this past weekend ane we were talking about this very thing. Not being able to use 285 almost caused the cancellation of an event we planned months in advance! And the lack of east west connection at the top of the perimeter is insane as well.
That is BS. I was on 285 a few Saturdays and it was backed up. I pulled out my phone map, got on Hammond Dr and drove about 5 miles and got back on 285. Just pull out your phone map and find an additional route. Every road is connected to the next road, you just got to figure out which road it is

Old 10-31-2012, 12:05 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,874,733 times
You do realize everyone doesn't have a phone map? Yet another beef I have with this town, the assumption that everybody has the wherwithal to buy fancy electronics. You shouldn't need a bloody satellite to navigate in ANY cithM

Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,404,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
You do realize everyone doesn't have a phone map? Yet another beef I have with this town, the assumption that everybody has the wherwithal to buy fancy electronics. You shouldn't need a bloody satellite to navigate in ANY cithM
I'm just saying that additional routes are available. It's up to you to find them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or