Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,689,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You do realize everyone doesn't have a phone map? Yet another beef I have with this town, the assumption that everybody has the wherwithal to buy fancy electronics. You shouldn't need a bloody satellite to navigate in ANY cithM
Who doesn't own a smartphone nowadays?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,534,546 times
I hate those dumb lights when you are getting on expressway. They turn red and then green per car. I never understood them Maybe they can replace those with more lights on the highway...just a theory. I doubt if it happens

Old 10-31-2012, 01:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,981,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
You do realize everyone doesn't have a phone map? Yet another beef I have with this town, the assumption that everybody has the wherwithal to buy fancy electronics. You shouldn't need a bloody satellite to navigate in ANY cithM
You still use a beeper?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:10 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,875,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I hate those dumb lights when you are getting on expressway. They turn red and then green per car. I never understood them Maybe they can replace those with more lights on the highway...just a theory. I doubt if it happens
It slows down the traffic going into the highway allowing traffic to flow better on it. They actually work pretty well.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,664,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
If you are constantly getting lost, you either need GPS, read a map book before you hit the road to have back routes in mind or print out your Google/Bing/Mapquest directions before you leave the house.

GPS are systems are so cheap these days, it's no excuse not to have one, if you don't have GPS on your phone.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM

7,333 posts, read 6,466,632 times
I've taken a lot of back routes during a lot of major backups, usually, the back routes are just as, if not even more congested than the main route. I've lived here all my life and know virtually all of the possible alternatives for anywhere East of Atlanta, and yet, I'm still stuck, because everyone else has the same idea.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM

113 posts, read 310,059 times
I always know where I'm going at night but I still avoid driving at night on Atlanta highways as much as possible because of the poor highway lighting. There's no excuse for it. It looks awful. It greatly adds to the potential for accidents. In a major metro area like Atlanta with tons of traffic at night, it's rediculous for local highways to have such poor nighttime lighting. Brightly lit expressways greatly decrease the potential for accidents and nighttime driving around here can be very intimidating with all the headlights and all the lights of the city, especially on the Downtown Connector.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,600,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Who doesn't own a smartphone nowadays?
I don't. My husband doesn't. Most of my friends don't. Dropping seeral hundred dollars, plus a service plan on a phone is just a luxury we can't afford. We have to buy gutters and a new furnace.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
You still use a beeper?
Never had one of those either. Except when I was on call.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
If you are constantly getting lost, you either need GPS, read a map book before you hit the road to have back routes in mind or print out your Google/Bing/Mapquest directions before you leave the house.

GPS are systems are so cheap these days, it's no excuse not to have one, if you don't have GPS on your phone.
I'm not constantly getting lost. My point is that we were havoing an event. People shouldn't need several hundred dollars worth of electronics to get to an event in a major city.

GPS is another one of those ways we get nickel and dimed in this inexpensive city. Your definition of cheap is not necessarily my definition of cheap. Bottom line is, they're a luxury item, they shouldn't bea necessity, but Atlanta makes it clear don't bother oming here unless you're well to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta