U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,130,433 times

Advertisements

Half the USG schools saw a drop in enrollment but Atlanta is mostly growing except for Georgia Perimeter and Atlanta Metropolitan.

Georgia Tech 21,535 20,920 +2.9%
Georgia State 31,852 31,668 +.6%
University of Georgia 34,385 34,636 -.7%
Georgia Southern 21,009 20,540 +2.3%
Valdosta 12,465 13,056 -4.5%
Clayton 7,146 6,864 +4.1
Kennesaw 25,130 24,647 +2%
Southern Polytechnic 6,250 5,805 +7.7%
West Georgia 11,760 11,620 +1.2%
Atlanta Metropolitan 2,339 2,499 -6.4%
Georgia Gwinnett* 9,436 7,780 +21.3%
Georgia Highlands 5,519 5,531 -.2%
Georgia Perimeter 21,908 25,204 -13.1%

Concern over enrollment drop at Georgia colleges | www.ajc.com

Georgia Tech shows steady growth but oddly UGA dropped slightly. GSU is holding steady with a small increase. Kennesaw State keeps moving along in growth but SPSU is making big gains at least percentagewise. But the dark horse here is little known Georgia Gwinnett. With Georgia Perimeter's big drop in enrollment, KSU moves to #3 in enrollment. And some have speculated that there maybe further rounds of mergers and KSU and SPSU might be one, and if that happens it could be as big as Georgia State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 AM

13,160 posts, read 15,968,942 times
What's the big concern about a slight drop in enrollment? Seems that might give HOPE some breathing room ...

Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 AM

3,209 posts, read 4,515,940 times
From what I have heard UGA is basically at capacity and doesn't have plans to increase enrollment very much or at all. They took in a freshman class way too large a few years ago (much higher than average rate of enrollment) so they've just made admissions standards harder and harder in response--quality over quantity. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can step in. GSU will ultimately be the one to benefit from this the most.

I'd most like to see GSU and GT expand enrollment. GT because it's awesome to have a top-tier university churning out as many tech-savvy people into the metro as possible, and spending big research dollars while doing it; and GSU because it's so important for downtown.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,278,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
From what I have heard UGA is basically at capacity and doesn't have plans to increase enrollment very much or at all. They took in a freshman class way too large a few years ago (much higher than average rate of enrollment) so they've just made admissions standards harder and harder in response--quality over quantity. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can step in. GSU will ultimately be the one to benefit from this the most.

I'd most like to see GSU and GT expand enrollment. GT because it's awesome to have a top-tier university churning out as many tech-savvy people into the metro as possible, and spending big research dollars while doing it; and GSU because it's so important for downtown.
This is true in part.

They did have several larger than expected freshman classes that strained resources they are trying to correct for. They also have the opportunity to correct for this by accepting fewer transfers later on.

UGA isn't necessarily trying to boost enrollment quickly, but it will over time.

I see three trends happening...

1) UGA is greatly expanding their campus over time thanks for the UGA Real Estate Foundation. This is adding on-campus living options and academic buildings. This will inevitably add room for more students and it will become appealing to increase enrollment to add tuition income for existing resources.

2) UGA will grow, because it is becoming it's own mini-university system within the University System of Georgia. They have several smaller campuses and research stations throughout the state, which are growing. This is largely happening, because UGA is the flagship university that must meet the requirements of certain research and education goals.... many of which are rural, agricultural, and ocean-related in nature. This drives a need for agricultural/forestry student outreach in different parts of the state and research in different regions of the state that have different physical environments.

3) This is a non-UGA point, but there system-wide there had been some built up demand that was not being met. Places where there were no colleges, but large populations grew. There are still many people that want a base college education, but still want to live at home, cut costs, and even have jobs/careers on the side. Many of these areas are in Metro Atlanta and UGA being outside the metro area is at a slight disadvantage. It isn't a big deal, because we are talking about a small margin of of mostly middle of the pack students, but they exist. I'm mostly thinking about the KSU's growth in size and status and Georgia Gwinnett's rapid ascent from nothing to nearly 10,000 students and could very well be similar to what KSU is now in 15-20 years. In the long-run it won't affect much of anything, but in the short-run I can see how it might make a difference by a few hundred students if UGA decides to keep entry-standards higher.

The only other comment I would offer... I wouldn't mind if GSU stopping growing in raw numbers, while KSU and GGC grow and start-up... in the short-run. My main reasoning is I would like to see the status of GSU increase and become a more competitive school. I believe it will increase in stature, but it is a matter of how fast and how long it takes.

I also support GT growing, as long as it can maintain its academic stature. If we want to attract more high-tech/heavy engineering supported companies, then we have to provide the work force. The bigger the work force, the more jobs/companies we will attract.

The other thing people need to remember... the slight drop in enrollment can be a good sign! More people choose to go school in big recessions, because they can't find a job and they see school as a good choice to weather our the recession, boost the resume, and prevent black-holes in the job history on resumes. It takes students loans and living at home longer, but it is more obtainable than many think.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What's the big concern about a slight drop in enrollment? Seems that might give HOPE some breathing room ...
That might also partly explain the drop. HOPE is not as easy to get now and not as generous so maybe fewer Georgians can afford school. As a possible result, the academically better schools have still grown with the exceptions of UGA and GSU which have basically held steady in enrollment.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
UGA might have to make a decision of quality over quantity . I think they like being the biggest school but you can't be that and have high standards unless UGA can orchestrate a plan to distribute students around the state to keep GSU and KSU, and possibly Georgia Southern at bay. UGA has aspirations to be like UNC Chapel Hill so the price might be to let other schools swell past them in enrollment. Guess the days of a Georgian's birth right to attend UGA is past.

Quote:
GT's average SATs are 1350. Keeping it that high and higher, and growing will be tough.

I'm really surprised that GSU can handle as many students as it does given that it is probably the smallest campus in the state. KSU is always whining about needing more space and money while GSU seems to absorb all the students you can throw at it.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
1) UGA is greatly expanding their campus over time thanks for the UGA Real Estate Foundation. This is adding on-campus living options and academic buildings. This will inevitably add room for more students and it will become appealing to increase enrollment to add tuition income for existing resources.
Sort of begs the question of how big a school can get before it is too big? I could see UGA growing to 50,000 but would 100,000 be too much? At that point Athens could no longer be a college town but the town itself.

Quote:
3) This is a non-UGA point, but there system-wide there had been some built up demand that was not being met. Places where there were no colleges, but large populations grew. There are still many people that want a base college education, but still want to live at home, cut costs, and even have jobs/careers on the side. Many of these areas are in Metro Atlanta and UGA being outside the metro area is at a slight disadvantage. It isn't a big deal, because we are talking about a small margin of of mostly middle of the pack students, but they exist.
UGA does have a business school presence in Buckhead and other Atlanta schools don't like it. I can see their point because what then is the point of GSU, KSU, and GT's business schools? And I think UGA still offers graduate programs at Georgia Gwinnett. UGA wants to keep its hands in the Atlanta market.

Quote:
I'm mostly thinking about the KSU's growth in size and status and Georgia Gwinnett's rapid ascent from nothing to nearly 10,000 students and could very well be similar to what KSU is now in 15-20 years. In the long-run it won't affect much of anything, but in the short-run I can see how it might make a difference by a few hundred students if UGA decides to keep entry-standards higher.
It also raises the university's mission question. KSU and even Georgia Southern are feeling their oats and want to add more programs and do more research. Nothing wrong with that if they were private but those programs would require support from the USG and conflict with other university programs. And do we want another research university in Atlanta when the state supports 2 with arguably not enough support. And do we need a research university in Statesboro? Arguably a Georgia Southern research university would support southern Georgia and Savannah, but would it really make that much of an impact? I suspect it would only be good for the economy of Statesboro.

Quote:
The only other comment I would offer... I wouldn't mind if GSU stopping growing in raw numbers, while KSU and GGC grow and start-up... in the short-run. My main reasoning is I would like to see the status of GSU increase and become a more competitive school. I believe it will increase in stature, but it is a matter of how fast and how long it takes.
Tough call for them because it is a non-traditional/urban campus. Can it demand higher standards for admission? I'm tempted to suggest revisiting an old plan from about 20 years ago which would merge SPSU, Clayton State, and KSU with Georgia State. Or at least merge GSU and SPSU so GSU would also have engineering like UGA, Tech, and Georgia Southern.

Quote:
The other thing people need to remember... the slight drop in enrollment can be a good sign! More people choose to go school in big recessions, because they can't find a job and they see school as a good choice to weather our the recession, boost the resume, and prevent black-holes in the job history on resumes. It takes students loans and living at home longer, but it is more obtainable than many think.
Georgia's unemployment is 9.2%. It can indicate that people are going back to work but I doubt it in this case. One suggestion is that tighter restrictions on remedial education is keeping students out. Recessions swelling enrollments at colleges is a common occurrence but this recession and its aftermath has been unusually long and people are scared to pile on the debt.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,614,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
GT's average SATs are 1395. Keeping it that high and higher, and growing will be tough.
Fixed that for you.

I think they could easily expand and even if it dropped the average SAT score down to 1350, it would be good for Georgia to increase the enrollment and graduate more tech degrees in the state. I doubt a little dip would really hurt the school's reputation.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:57 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,614,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
UGA does have a business school presence in Buckhead and other Atlanta schools don't like it. I can see their point because what then is the point of GSU, KSU, and GT's business schools? And I think UGA still offers graduate programs at Georgia Gwinnett. UGA wants to keep its hands in the Atlanta market.
I don't think this is much of a concern. UGA's part time business school is what, the 4th best in the metro area? Terry is what, a distant 3rd best business program in the state? I don't think they are a threat to anyone given their steady decline in the rankings.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Fixed that for you.

I think they could easily expand and even if it dropped the average SAT score down to 1350, it would be good for Georgia to increase the enrollment and graduate more tech degrees in the state. I doubt a little dip would really hurt the school's reputation.
I gather that is this year's freshman class? That is a dramatic increase.

The question is...do we need to graduate more with tech degrees? I've heard the oft cry for more scientists and engineers but I don't think there is a big shortage of them. Better GT produces quality over quantity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or