U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,424 times

Advertisements

I too am relocating. Leaving Maryland headed for Atlanta. There are so many parts of Georgia I found. Whew, a bit overwhelming too! I am in my mid 50's, very energetic, involved mostly in the ministry. I am an entrepreneur and love people. I am looking for a great location, close to Churches, some shopping perhaps, convenient neighborhood. Formerly a federal employee who had to resign due to being a caregiver for my spouse who has since deceased. No regrets about that but in moving on with my life, I thought Georgia would be a good place to begin again. My roots are from North Carolina. If you could shed some info re jobs, housing for one. I don't need much but safety is key. I have loads of administrative skills. I am known by my geniune smile...God knew I would have to encourage myself!! A great motivator. I appreciate your feedback. God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM

738 posts, read 1,122,848 times
I strongly recommend finding a job before moving here. The job market here is taking a while to bounce back, and there are still a lot of people who are either unemployed or underemployed.

After you find a job, then worry about housing - preferably close to work so you don't get stuck in traffic. If you are buying a home it will be significantly cheaper than most areas in the Northeast, but if you're renting, it's about the same.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,229,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deenyc View Post
Hello! I am 26, educated, black and I live in Brooklyn Ny. I have never lived out of NYC , With the exception of moving upstate NY for school and studying abroad In Europe. I have visited Atlanta about four times and I love it. I am also a social worker.

Is this a good move?? I want an area to live in that has the following criteria:
1. Lots of bars and restaurants and A great nightlife
2. Culture is big for me. Lots of cultural institutions and events. Diverse population and people that are open minded to culture.
3. Cheaper housing. I live in NYC and the average 1 bedroom apt ranges from $1000 and could be as high as $2,000. I'm also tired of renting and I would love to be a homeowner soon, which to me is not feasible in NYC
4. People that are educated and business minded.
5. A place where I can open my own business. I want to open a upscale lounge.
6. Warm weather!

I have tons more I can list. Is Atlanta the right move for me?? Any other suggestions of cites I can relocate to?? My lease ends this May Hows the job market for a social worker as well??
I'm from Atlanta, but live in Manhattan now.

If you're looking for a young and fairly liberal crowd with a decent bar/nightlife scene, I'd definitely say Midtown. I used to live off 14th street, right by Piedmont Park and loved it. Most of my friends would come to my place to pregame, then walk to the local clubs or wherever.

We had a 2 bed/2 bath there for $1325 (in 2006).

The downside to a lot of the nightlife is that last call is at 2:30 in the morning, as opposed to 4am up here. In Underground Atlanta it is also 4, but I've never been impressed with underground on the whole. Also, depending on where you're living, you're going to be driving to a lot of bars and whatnot, which is never fun.

The weather is the summer is nice, although it can get surprisingly cold in the winter. Overnight temps in the 20s are common, although annual snowfall accumulation isn't much at around 2-3".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta