U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:15 AM

22 posts, read 18,566 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

As mentioned before I am moving from Houston to ATL. I am searching in and around the Decatur area (will be working at Fort Gillem).

I found a house to rent in Decatur/Emory/CDC/East Lake Golf Course area. Can someone who is familiar with this area comment on the neighborhood (is it a decent neighborhood/area)?

Thanks Much!!

Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,384,216 times
That's quite a big area. Parts of it are great. Other parts are average with a fair amount of property crime. Really depends on what part you're in.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 PM

20,906 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Where exactly is this place? Because the East Lake Golf Course area is not all that close to Emory/CDC/Decatur.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM
VJP

637 posts, read 1,399,308 times
Weve had a decrease in my subdivision of any crime. Im actually surprised. Search on my username, i wrote a post last year detailing living in 30032.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 AM

738 posts, read 1,118,004 times
30032 essentially runs along the south side of Memorial between I20 and 285. It includes areas like Belvedere Park and Candler-McAfee, but falls just south of East Lake. It doesn't include Emory or CDC.

This area varies greatly from street to street. If you can give us more details we can probably provide better info.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,384,216 times
This is roughly where I live. If you can afford it, I'd live further north towards Emory and the CDC. I was burlgarized within months of moving in. If you are a single guy, it's not terrible, but not great, either. Make sure your rental has an alarm system.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 AM

Thanks Folks for your responses.

The exact location is 1701 Welika Dr. Decatur, GA 30032. Anybody, know anything about this street/neighborhood?

Thanks Again,

Greg

Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM

738 posts, read 1,118,004 times
That's Belvedere Park. My son and his housemates live about three streets over, in a tiny older ranch home near the elementary school. This area in general is very hit-or-miss. Some of the houses are nicely maintained, others are boarded up and abandoned. Do a real estate search in this area and you will see prices ranging from $20k to $200k.

Personally, I wouldn't live there. I find burglar bars depressing, and the whole area seems a bit sketchy. It's too bad, because I can see that it used to be a nice little neighborhood community, but IMO it gives off a sad and not terribly safe vibe.

Objectively, I'd say it depends on what you are looking for. My son and his friends like living there because the rent is affordable and it's close to the city, close to work, convenient to Kroger and fast food places, and on the MARTA bus line. There are some pretty new homes in among the crumbling 1960s ranches, so it may be on the upswing, but there's no telling how long that process might take.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM

504 posts, read 1,303,985 times
Yeah, I lived over there for almost 10 years. A little closer to the Columbia Drive side. Still own the house that I've been renting out for the last 3 years. It certainly isn't Inman Park, but it isn't the Bluffs either. Most of the crime over there is property related. Of course there are smatterings of all the other stuff. There's a group on White Oak that have their own website. Don't be fooled though, they are still Belvedere Park. They certainly are out and about reporting problems though, which is a key to getting that area cleaned up. I'll agree with researchnerd. It's unfortunate that there are perfectly maintained homes with boarded up REO's all over the place right next door. I have started seeing some progress towards some of these places being bought, fixed up and then rented out though. Is the neighborhood out of the woods yet? No not yet. It actually was improving year over year from when I first moved there in 2002, but the economy/housing crash really hurt that neighborhood a lot. There are plenty of old timers still over there that are great neighbors. It would help a lot if DeKalb would make a better effort to curb some of the blatant crime over there. It's a shame too because I could be in downtown ATL in about 15 minutes from that location.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM

I appreciate all the comments and effort. I am at a loss.

Fort Gillem seems to be in a very crummy part of town (or so I am told). I am trying to find the best location to minimize the commute, pick an area that is friendlier for single life, prefer a single family house, and last but not least-be relatively safe.

Any suggestions??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta