U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,542,202 times

Advertisements

Would you take a one-year old, a two-year old, and a wife and move into a fixer-upper in Poncey-Highland? What if the alternative was East Lake/Kirkwood?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,095,928 times
No. No there too.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM

7,698 posts, read 9,537,430 times
If I worked from home or was always home before 6 or 7p, I would.

If I frequently came home late from work or had to take out of town trips on occasion, I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving a wife and 2 small children home alone in any of those places. I don't know your wife, maybe she's a bada$$ who knows how to take care of herself, but if she's like most women, I just wouldn't do it.

If you're looking at one of the condos in Poncey-Highland, I would avoid the ground floor units.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:48 PM

3,964 posts, read 4,558,921 times
guys, are you serious?? we're talking about poncey highland, here, not bankhead. i would feel comfortable raising kids in these locations. there are tons of kids in va-hi and poncey highland also. of course, i wouldn't send your 5 year old down the street at 2 AM for some fish sticks, but seriously, poncey-highland and kirkwood have tons of new families of all races moving in all the time, and they're not doing badly. kirkwood has tons of families with kids, i would probably go for that one above poncey-highland, but don't let these guys scare you into moving out to dawsonville. these are some of the nicest neighbourhoods in atlanta that are still affordable.

if you are worried, what i'd do is go there during the day with your wife and kids, check out the parks and walk down the street. do the same thing after dark. if you don't feel comfortable, don't move inó but don't rely on the words of scared suburbanites. check the places out for yourself.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,384,689 times
I work in Kirkwood right near East Lake Marta and it's ok, but there isn't very much to do. But maybe that is what you are looking for.

Poncey Highlands is at least closer to Piedmont Park, the Beltline, Freedom Trail, etc. If they are 1 and 2 I don't think they are going to be victims of too much crime unless there's a lot of infant-on-infant crime I haven't read about.

It depends a lot on where you're coming from. Is it safer or less safe?

Last edited by rzzz; 10-14-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 PM

7,698 posts, read 9,537,430 times
Quote:
but don't rely on the words of scared suburbanites
Oh, please, give me a break.

You don't have to agree with what's been said, but I'm positive I've been on Ponce after midnight more times than you have and all over all kinds of sketchy parts of the city.

It is what it is. I've seen drug deals go down while waiting in the Taco Bell drive thru. I've seen people get mugged outside the Krispy Kreme. And just about everything in between.

If you can accept those kinds of things as just "life in the city" then Poncey-Highland is perfectly fine. That's what it is, it's just a part of the city that borders a very nice part, but it itself isn't quite there yet.

However, the question asked was if you would get a fixer upper, indicating that it probably isn't even the best part of Poncey-Highland, and bring a wife and two extremely young children. You don't have to be a "scared suburbanite" to say no, this probably isn't the best area for that situation. Any mother with 2 small children knows that you are constantly fumbling with car seats, strollers, getting snacks, etc., and this is when a person is most vulnerable. The classic argument of "walk straight with purpose and confidence" that so many here like to espouse is impossible to achieve for a woman dealing with two small children.

So fine, you can assess those risks and determine if they are worth taking. But to say that a level of concern would be completely unfounded and simply the opinion of a suburbanite who doesn't know any better is completely irresponsible, not to mention incorrect.

However, I can agree with one thing: just take a trip there at night. And I don't mean go at 8pm on Saturday. Take a drive down there at 10:30pm on a Monday night. See if you feel comfortable. If you do, then you do, and go for it. But I'm sure you will at least see why some reasonable people would have valid concerns. Which you already do, or else you wouldn't have even asked.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 PM

28,132 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Would you take a one-year old, a two-year old, and a wife and move into a fixer-upper in Poncey-Highland? What if the alternative was East Lake/Kirkwood?
Poncey-Highland is one of the best neighborhoods in the city, full of families with young kids.

Sort of pricey these days, however.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:32 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post

Yes and yes.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 PM

265 posts, read 340,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It is what it is. I've seen drug deals go down while waiting in the Taco Bell drive thru. I've seen people get mugged outside the Krispy Kreme. And just about everything in between.
I would not call that area Poncey-Highland. Ponce near Highland is much safer than Ponce near Boulevard or Argonne.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 PM

402 posts, read 568,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If I worked from home or was always home before 6 or 7p, I would.

If I frequently came home late from work or had to take out of town trips on occasion, I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving a wife and 2 small children home alone in any of those places. I don't know your wife, maybe she's a bada$$ who knows how to take care of herself, but if she's like most women, I just wouldn't do it.

If you're looking at one of the condos in Poncey-Highland, I would avoid the ground floor units.
Poncy Highland is completely safe. This guys an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or