U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM

3,208 posts, read 4,509,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
These do work, but they cause an extremely dangerous environment for cyclists.
Yes, they need to be designed carefully to accommodate cyclists. Ideally, bike lanes are worked into the widened buffer area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,385,173 times
I have a truck, too. I've found the speed humps in Kirkwood slow me down. Maybe I need to get my suspension checked?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,735,120 times
Radar-based tire spikes? Remote controlled pikes? Honey Badgers?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,422,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Anyone have suggestions for creative ways to slow down speeder on residential streets?

I know about standard traffic calming techniques but was wondering if anyone had some creative ideas or personal experiences that were effective. (Other than bazookas and RPGs).

Thanks much!
What about land mines?

Seriously though, I agree that speed bumps are the only really effective thing. Contact your local representative and see about getting some installed.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,096,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I have a truck, too. I've found the speed humps in Kirkwood slow me down. Maybe I need to get my suspension checked?
Well of course they're gonna slow you down if you don't accelerate any, silly.
Usually there are signs posted advising you of the upcoming hump so you know you need to give it some gas.
If you don't catch any air then you need to go faster.

And if you still feel like you're slowing down, it's probably just psychological.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM

4,246 posts, read 2,824,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Speed bumps are the only thing that really works.
My neighborhood has a long, but very narrow boulevard-style street with no sidewalk or anything. It's also laden with speed bumps. Yet, you'll sometimes still see people driving 35-40MPH down the street flying over the speed bumps. I've found about 18MPH to be comfortable, and anything over 20 to be fast (on this street). So 35-40 is crazy. Yet, they still do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I drove through Montgomery Village, MD and other parts of Maryland last week which had photo enforced speed cameras. Put those in ATL and alot of people will slow down seeing they have no choice.
Ooooooohhh...those damn things. There is a 6-lane divided street in Cleveland, Ohio which has a speed limit of 35MPH. Drove me crazy when I was there, coming from Atlanta. I wondered why everyone actually stuck to it, as I drove past them all going about 45. I later found out why when I got several speeding tickets in the mail. Grrr.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM

28,138 posts, read 24,666,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
At a cost of several thousand dollars however, you won't get your local police to donate one to your neighborhood, however, there have been communities where neighbors pool all of their money together to buy one themselves, and the police seem to usually have no issues with people using them that way.
Yeah, the neighborhood absolutely has to buy the signs -- things like that are not in the city budget in most parts of town.

We got several of them and they do help somewhat. In addition to deterring (some) motorists, they also record the speed of passing vehicles, so at least you have some evidence when you go and beg the city for enforcement.

In my opinion it also helps encourage on street parking. That narrows the road and marks the streets as residential zones rather than freeways.

You are also right about the red tape involved in getting speed humps (which to me are preferable to "speed bumps). Local governments tend to be more focused on rapidly moving large numbers of vehicles than on neighborhood safety.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM

28,138 posts, read 24,666,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Radar-based tire spikes? Remote controlled pikes? Honey Badgers?
I like these:

German Speed Bump - YouTube

Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,735,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Germans are special.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,262,868 times
Another thing I would say is smaller traffic roundabouts and/or 4-way stops.

The roundabouts are slowly growing more common in some newer and larger neighborhood developments.

The roundabouts force people to slow down to be able to navigate the curve and it can usually look nice too.

4-way stops work too. I live in an area with several. The main down fall I see is... is increasingly people aren't coming to full stops. The big problem is some people come in fast and stop fast, while others drift in and stop slower and since neither car is planning to come to a full stop there is some confusion on who keeps the right of way and it feels like I'm seeing more and more accidents caused by stupidity. I use 4-ways stops much more cautiously than I use to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta