Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,898,363 times

Advertisements

Have the leaves peaked yet? If not, when do you expect them to? If anyone has pics that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 11:24 AM

13,975 posts, read 25,818,052 times
We've past peak in North Fulton, so I imagine Dahlonega is about a week past peak. It was a very fast process this year. Green to full color in about 5 days. With the rain, most of the leaves are on our lawn now.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
** Added ** Please note that the thread was re-activated after a 3 year slumber - the first few postings in this thread are from 2009! **

I was at Sweetwater Creek State Park this past weekend which is just South of I-20, West of Atlanta. This is what the trees looked like along the hiking trail....

So my guess would be you have missed the peak in Dahlonega for this year. There MIGHT be a few varieties of trees that are stragglers for color due to all the rain we've had, but many will have already lost most of their leaves.

Here's the site for the Dahlonega visitor's center. There's a phone number on it. I'm sure if you call they'll be able to tell you how the leaves are up there now: Dahlonega Convention & Visitors Bureau

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-13-2012 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,312,471 times
We went up the Russell Scenic Highway near Helen, GA yesterday and it is past peak now. Lots of trees have lost their leaves. However, it was still pretty, as some of the red leaves are there and the brown leaves show up gold in the sunlight.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,375 times
I am new to the forum but was interested in a foliage tour of the area. I guess I have missed it. I spent time in
Helen and Dahlonega several years ago and really enjoyed it. Those of you who live there have such a treat
to have all that beauty around you. I lived up north for a long time and always looked forward to the fall season.

Lovely autumn to ALL!!

Lady Antebellum

Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM

6,191 posts, read 11,796,566 times
Its funny how Georgia has its peak earlier than other parts of the world, despite its Southern location and warmer climate. The Tokyo area doesn't peak until late November, or even December. I remember going to Kyoto in early November and being too early for its peak. But yeah, I remember the first or second weekend of October being the time to see the foliage in the North GA mountains.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 PM

924 posts, read 1,448,068 times
I was confused about this for a second, I didn't notice the date of the original posts and thinking that it was today I was thinking the people were crazy saying we were past peak.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:55 PM

NOTE THE DATE (Thread started in 2009)

As has been pointed out, someone re-activated this thread even though it's been 3 years since it was started - the dates vary year by year on peak times.

The following link goes to the Georgia Parks page where you can click on state parks and get an update on peak colors going on for 2012: Leaf Watch - Best Parks | Georgia State Parks

Additional info on popular parks can be found here: Top 10 Georgia State Parks for Leaf Watching | Georgia State Parks

Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,344,097 times
North Georgia has two waves of fall color.
The first wave consists of the species that color up earlier such as tulip poplars, maples, black gums, sourwoods, and sweetgums (sweetgums sometimes color up early and tend to keep their leaves for a comparatively long time).
The second wave consists of the species that color up later such as oaks, hickories, beech and birch.

Having two waves actually gives us a longer viewing season than new england in a good year and in a bad year, many of the trees that are quick to drop leaves from drought, the viewing season can be salvaged by late growing season rains and the second wave.

As for what happens when and where, this can vary a lot, especially when you take elevation into consideration. But assuming you're 2500 feet or below, mid to late october is the first wave and late oct to late november is the second wave.
In the north metro area, the collision of the two waves of color and showiest time in my opinion is usually the first week of november. The farther north you go and the higher up in elevation you go, the earlier that will be but not all areas consist of tree species that color in both waves. One area may only have oaks and hickories. Another may only have maples and tulip poplars.

The best foliage is in areas where there is plenty of sunlight. If you go into the forest, you're not going to see the color. But if you go to a lake, that is the best spot to see it.

Last year I went up to the moutains the first weekend in november and this was what I saw...

Get out there and enjoy it!
Happy leaf peeping to ya.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Here's an updated 2012 report from one of the local stations on the leaf status: Fall Colors Forecast for N Georgia | Weather | Wiz Army News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: