U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,117,464 times

Advertisements

Hey here's a novel idea... why don't the city zoning officials ask the local residents what they want?
And if they say "we don't want a walmart in our neighborhood", instead of making concessions and accommodations for walmart to open there anyway, they say "tough luck walmart, there's some newly minted suburb 50 miles away, go move there instead."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,185,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Hey here's a novel idea... why don't the city zoning officials ask the local residents what they want?
And if they say "we don't want a walmart in our neighborhood", instead of making concessions and accommodations for walmart to open there anyway, they say "tough luck walmart, there's some newly minted suburb 50 miles away, go move there instead."
Who says there are "concessions and accomodations" that need to be made? If the parcel they want to occupy is already zoned for the use, the city really can't keep Walmart out, provided they meet any stipulations/requirements of the zoning. If it's not zoned for the use currently, then it's up to the residents to show up at the zoning hearings and make their voices heard if this isn't something they want.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:31 PM

28,218 posts, read 24,822,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If the parcel they want to occupy is already zoned for the use, the city really can't keep Walmart out, provided they meet any stipulations/requirements of the zoning. If it's not zoned for the use currently, then it's up to the residents to show up at the zoning hearings and make their voices heard if this isn't something they want.
Exactly. If Walmart (or any other company) meets the requirements of the law they can build a store anywhere they please.

If the residents don't like it they are equally free to move somewhere else.

As they say, corporations are people, my friend, and you can no more discriminate against them than you would anyone else.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 PM

7,728 posts, read 9,599,672 times
Quote:
It will either thrive or will fail miserably. Personally I hope it thrives because these jobs, as low paying as they may be, are certainly an upgrade for many of the residents of that area.
That is an excellent point.

I would imagine if Wal-Mart fails, it would have a huge chililng effect on the area. If I wanted to open a small business and saw that Wal-Mart failed, my logic would be "if Wal-Mart, with all its business savvy, studies, and huge team of business professionals couldn't make it in this market, what chance do I stand as one man with limited resources?"

Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM

28,218 posts, read 24,822,352 times
Hard to see how they could fail, though. Has any Walmart ever gone out of business?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,492,794 times
I am going to be honest. I thought this area was some off places in the burbs but isn't in the middle of town.

Why is everyone acting like this is some remote area? It's just a small area near downtown?

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 10-17-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 PM

22,249 posts, read 16,298,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I am going to be honest. I thought this area was some off places in the burns but isn't in the middle of town.

Why is everyone acting like this is some remote area? It's just a small area near downtown?
This area needs the jobs, opportunities, and retail.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM

13,196 posts, read 16,032,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hard to see how they could fail, though. Has any Walmart ever gone out of business?
Yes, but fewer than 20 in the U.S. and each with a unique and unusual set of circumstances. In an earlier post, I mentioned the one in Tuskegee, AL was shut down after a very short time because of widespread theft by employees. That store should never have been built in the first place and is one example in which Walmart's execs made a mistake. But it doesn't happen often.

(Google WALMART and TUSKEGEE if you want to read more about it)

Of course, Walmart REPLACES old stores with new ones all the time, and has closed some Sam's Club locations for low sales. They've also closed some international locations (China I think) and some of their smaller neighborhood market stores that just didn't fly. But the wholesale closing of a full-size Supercenter is very rare.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:18 PM

2,129 posts, read 3,406,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
In certain areas where WalMart is announced, North Decatur, they'll raise hell. But an area like Vine City that needs to jobs and retail very little opposition is heard. WalMart is a good fit for this area, but not a good fit for Glenwood Park.
They'll raise hell and it'll still be packed everyday like the rest of them in the metro are. Those people that complain are rarely the majority.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,908,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I agree. WalMart is taking a gamble on the area, but there is great upside. I think this will be a boom or bust investment for them. It will either thrive or will fail miserably. Personally I hope it thrives because these jobs, as low paying as they may be, are certainly an upgrade for many of the residents of that area. A small paycheck is better than no paycheck and 100% government dependence.
WHAT!!! You said something positive for a change .WOW!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or