U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,401,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We're getting all these without transportation improvements. It would be totally off the charts if we'd passed a transportation bill.
I disagree. I think it would be the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:15 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I disagree. I think it would be the same
Well, look at all the development that has been spurred by our freeways, and MARTA and the airport.

Can you imagine what a dinky little burg we'd be without all that?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM

472 posts, read 643,782 times
Quote:
Stop gap measure. They know it's only a matter of time before the city annexes all those auto-oriented suburbs and installs streetcars so that their employees can commute into a dense, vibrant, walkable and creative downtown with zero lot line development.

These big corporations are smart like that.
A dense, vibrant, walkable and creative downtown? Where can I find such a place? We'll take two tickets for the first plane!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Well, look at all the development that has been spurred by our freeways, and MARTA and the airport.

Can you imagine what a dinky little burg we'd be without all that?
I agree. In theory you are correct 100% but I don't think a business (in general) deciding factor in moving to Atlanta was if the bill passed or not. I think businesses that want to move here will do so regardless.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM

3,947 posts, read 3,249,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I thought the region would not get any more jobs because of the failed transportation bill?
Hi Tony, but I think we still need to address the regions transportation woes. Traffic jams everyday is not sexy for the region.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Hi Tony, but I think we still need to address the regions transportation woes. Traffic jams everyday is not sexy for the region.
I agree

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Wow Atlanta has been quite the cats meow lately. First Delta does a major purchase in Virgin Atlantic, Atlanta based ICE purchase the iconic NYSE, and now this news about GM. Atlanta is definetely on another level.
These are good potential improvements. I hope they continue.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,939,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Funny how so much of that is going OTP in North Fulton. Without the help of streetcars and commuter rail.
Not sure if you knew of this but GM and streetcars don't have a great history:
General Motors streetcar conspiracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GM sells cars...they don't care if the freedom they're selling means your stuck in clogged traffic for 3hrs a day while you try to make a 60 mile one way commute. If anything the longer the commute, the faster you need a new car. Whether it's a gas burner or hybrid technology, they have a vested interest in seeing you desire a shiny new car every 24-36 months in the driveway to satiate your transportation needs.

Just as we don't expect BP or Shell to lead the way into solar/wind technologies, why would we expect GM to care about its employees reducing gridlock? They want all of them to drive their personal Corvettes and Escalades to the office each and every day.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM

GM pays $18.5 million for Roswell technology center

GM pays $18.5 million for Roswell technology center - Atlanta Business Chronicle

General Motors Co. paid $18.5 million for a Roswell building that will become GM’s new technology center, employing at least 1,000 workers, according to Fulton County records.
GM bought the almost 230,000-square-foot building at Mansell and Warsaw roads that United Parcel Service Inc. once used as the centerpiece of a 25-acre campus designed for information technology, marketing and communications workers.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,958,371 times
I heard about this on the radio today. It was an old UPS building being refurbed for the future GM IT workers. Good score for Atlanta and a stack of good paying jobs coming to boot.

AJC Link: GM to hire 1,000 at new Atlanta IT center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or