U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,144 posts, read 5,740,264 times
Reputation: 1758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I certainly believe it would. If they don't, fire them and get someone else to do it. It is amazing the results workers produce when they know that there is a strong incentive (keeping employment) to doing their job well. That is what any reasonable business person would do, why shouldn't MARTA?
One of the article said MARTA had to bring it back in house because the wages were too low when it went private and the workers keep quitting because of the hard labor. I would love to see what the private company was paying vs MARTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,612,462 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
One of the article said MARTA had to bring it back in house because the wages were too low when it went private and the workers keep quitting because of the hard labor. I would love to see what the private company was paying vs MARTA.
Hard to imagine that you couldn't find people willing to do janitorial work for $10 an hour these days given the real unemployment rate of 10+% and an underemployment rate much higher than that. I can imagine there would be high turnover in the position, but that is why you outsource it and make it that company's problem. I can't believe that there isn't a janitorial services company that could handle this job. I don't doubt that you read what you are saying, I just doubt the validity of that claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 AM
 
3,208 posts, read 4,510,069 times
Reputation: 1732
I'm sorry, but if you fail to outsource something as rudimentary as janitorial services, I feel like it's an indication of poor management. Janitorial services are one of the most common and simple things to outsource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Decatur, GA
4,908 posts, read 3,710,802 times
Reputation: 2465
Don't forget, most outsourcing contracts usually have some kind of guaranteed payment clause so not only would MARTA have to pay the employees, they also have to pay for the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,172 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
I'm sorry, but if you fail to outsource something as rudimentary as janitorial services, I feel like it's an indication of poor management. Janitorial services are one of the most common and simple things to outsource.
They already tried to outsource the service. The cleaning didn't get done so MARTA absorbed the service again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 AM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,612,462 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They already tried to outsource the service. The cleaning didn't get done so MARTA absorbed the service again.
Who wrote that contract? If the services don't get done to a level of expectation, you need an out in that contract. Find a new company that will get it done. This is a service that is outsourced in so many locations that this should not be a challenge to get done correctly. A previous poster hit on this and is 100% correct. It isn't like there is 1 company that could provide this service. It isn't like this an experimental, trailblazing effort to re-define a business process. This is pretty basic and extremely common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,144 posts, read 5,740,264 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Hard to imagine that you couldn't find people willing to do janitorial work for $10 an hour these days given the real unemployment rate of 10+% and an underemployment rate much higher than that. I can imagine there would be high turnover in the position, but that is why you outsource it and make it that company's problem. I can't believe that there isn't a janitorial services company that could handle this job. I don't doubt that you read what you are saying, I just doubt the validity of that claim.
Found the article

MARTA readies for financial overhaul | www.ajc.com

Quote:
He said MARTA had tried in the past to privatize the para-transit service and the cleaning service to dismal results. Cleaning, he said, was a tough entry-level job that required scrambling up and and down rails cars.
The private contractor paid too little to get good employees for the service, Howard said
“The cleaning service was contracted out years ago, and they had to bring it back in,” he said. “They couldn’t get employees to come to work. MARTA stations started to look like a mess. They had to bring up the salary to make it where people would stay because the work is so hard.”
I wonder, how many years ago though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
 
3,208 posts, read 4,510,069 times
Reputation: 1732
Once again, I refuse to take that for an answer. Far more difficult and complicated things are contracted out all the time. NASA is able to have private contractors send supplies to space! Then again, Howard isn't an actual representative of MARTA so I take his statement with a grain of salt (notice how he says they didn't pay enough to get quality people to come to work--definitely an agenda-driven statement).

Also, I'm afraid by some measures the stations seem like a mess to me. College Park's northbound track looks like an experiment in plastics biodegrading. Maybe an annual cleaning would help? How is that not in the budget? Seems like it would take 8 people a couple hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,612,462 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Once again, I refuse to take that for an answer. Far more difficult and complicated things are contracted out all the time. NASA is able to have private contractors send supplies to space! Then again, Howard isn't an actual representative of MARTA so I take his statement with a grain of salt (notice how he says they didn't pay enough to get quality people to come to work--definitely an agenda-driven statement).

Also, I'm afraid by some measures the stations seem like a mess to me. College Park's northbound track looks like an experiment in plastics biodegrading. Maybe an annual cleaning would help? How is that not in the budget? Seems like it would take 8 people a couple hours.
This.

That MARTA excuse is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM
 
7,699 posts, read 9,542,617 times
Reputation: 5667
I also refuse to accept this.

The average MARTA janitor makes $27.55 an hour? Think about that....it's completely unskilled labor, and that is $57,000 a year. Some lawyers just out of law school and medical school residents don't make that. It's a ridiculous sum for that job (maybe not for someone who has 20 year of experience doing it and is a good loyal worker, but not for a median salary).

I also don't buy that the work is that hard. We're talking about trains and train stations. I can think of a zillion things that are harder to clean. What about people who have to clean blood and guts in hospitals? What about people at Disney World who have to clean outside in the Florida sun all day? Give me a break, skilled construction workers who build houses out in the elements using actual workmanship and skills don't make that much.

This is an enormous problem. If you can outsource companies to come in and clean crime scenes, I fail to believe that MARTA can't do the same. It sounds like they just contracted with a horrible company, as I'm sure they sent out RFPs and just went with the lowest bidder, and decided to hire their own people when that arrangement didn't work out.

Doesn't this smell of something? There is some corruption going on. Somebody is protecting the jobs of their unskilled family or friends. It's just too ridiculous to have any validity. If they didn't just hire friends and family, you'd have 5 mile long lines of unskilled people waiting to apply for $27/hour janitor jobs. Something isn't right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top