U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM

13,123 posts, read 15,922,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
New school systems cannot be formed unless the state constitution is amended. We'll definitely get more cities, be we aren't getting any mroe school systems.
Of course not, and in fact we're likely to see more city-county consolidations of both county governments AND school systems. In Alabama, the exact opposite is happening. It's both very easy for communities to incorporate -- even parts of already incorporated cities -- and new school districts to "break away" from existing school districts. Is the primary reason why Birmingham has so many problems, and a fantastic example of just how completely different the state constitutions (and thus governments) of Georgia and Alabama really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:02 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,560,073 times
It look's like local residents in the area are not that supportive of the new city idea...or, they just don't know about it.

"The latest push to create a city out of unincorporated DeKalb County limped out of the gate Wednesday, when only a dozen people showed up for the first meeting of the state Senate committee studying the issue..."

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/city-of-dekalb-meeting-opens-with-a-whimper/nSf7L/

Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,901,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Jefferson County AL (Birmingham) has more than 50 incorporated cities and towns and 12 school districts. Is this really the direction Fulton and Dekalb want to go?

We don't need MORE cities in Metro ATL ... We need BIGGER and BETTER cities!
I don't agree. Isn't having large school districts part of the issue with many of the school districts here?

Also, the only large city in the metro seems to be the one that has the most problems. Larger school district and incorporated city size is not a requirement for quality of education or quality of life.

I strongly suspect that large number of cities and school districts in the county you cite isn't the reason for the issues that areas is having. Why? Because other areas of the country have similar numbers but have no such issues. There are other stronger factors ... my own theory is a combination of cultural and political factors ... that come into play. There's simply a lack of cohesive government in some areas of the country.

Hasn't this been discussed and shot down before?

Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,875,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I don't agree. Isn't having large school districts part of the issue with many of the school districts here?

Also, the only large city in the metro seems to be the one that has the most problems. Larger school district and incorporated city size is not a requirement for quality of education or quality of life.

I strongly suspect that large number of cities and school districts in the county you cite isn't the reason for the issues that areas is having. Why? Because other areas of the country have similar numbers but have no such issues. There are other stronger factors ... my own theory is a combination of cultural and political factors ... that come into play. There's simply a lack of cohesive government in some areas of the country.

Hasn't this been discussed and shot down before?
Jefferson county and Birmingham have been at war since Birmingham got it's first black mayor in the late seventies. The political machinations make Game of Thrones look like hopscotch. I had the misfortune of working in the mayor's office in the 1980s and reached a career low point when I was tasked with measuring the parking spaces in the county workers parking deck to ensure they weren't given larger spaces than the citynworkers. They were, but it was a larger deck. IMO Birmingham's and Jefferson county's downfall began with the mayor's ill advised feud with the CEO of AmSouth Bank. Now defunct, but then one of the city's largest employers. Factor in a suicidal occupational tax, and an annexation plan more designed to ensure the mayor an electoral plurality than any benefit the city and frankly I'm amazed it didn't happen sooner. Bimingham is Jefferson county's cash cow, and had those businesses fleeing the occupational tax moved out into the county it still would've been okay. Instead they moved to Shelby county and took their money with them.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM

22,166 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Quote:
Of course not, and in fact we're likely to see more city-county consolidations of both county governments AND school systems. In Alabama, the exact opposite is happening. It's both very easy for communities to incorporate -- even parts of already incorporated cities -- and new school districts to "break away" from existing school districts. Is the primary reason why Birmingham has so many problems, and a fantastic example of just how completely different the state constitutions (and thus governments) of Georgia and Alabama really are.
Several school systems don't even have school buses and make parents drive kids to school. I moved from Birmingham to Atlanta and thank God. Birmingham is the city that time forget, still stuck in the civil rights era. That whole region is backwards, like much of the state.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 AM
JPD

11,870 posts, read 14,471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Again, by law, no new school systems are allowed in Georgia. Forming new cities will do absolutely nothing to address the concerns people have with our schools.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Again, by law, no new school systems are allowed in Georgia. Forming new cities will do absolutely nothing to address the concerns people have with our schools.
Well, apparently there is some momentum toward a constitutional amendment, at least that some of the people supporting the charter amendment claim. If they can't get an amendment on the ballit Dekalb is doomed.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 AM
JPD

11,870 posts, read 14,471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Well, apparently there is some momentum toward a constitutional amendment, at least that some of the people supporting the charter amendment claim. If they can't get an amendment on the ballit Dekalb is doomed.
I think that's a bit hyperbolic.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 AM

I don't think it's hyperbolic at all. Have you been to a Dekalb County School Board meeting? I have. Suffice it ti say I've seen more intelligent and clear sughted conversations from a bunch of drunks at three in the morning at Waffle House. If they were just corrupt the school board would still be functional. I'm not averse to a bit of corruption as long as the trains run on time, so to speak. If they were just stupid, that would be more problematic, but still doable. The fact that they're both corrupt and stupid means there is no hope for the county. SouthnDekalb has already collapsed. How long do you think north Dekalb will hold the line? How can they function with a school board that fires translators when a sizeable percentage of the population is ESL? It's only a matter of time before Dekalb goes the way of Clayton. From first to worst in less than twenty years.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM

22,166 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Quote:
I don't think it's hyperbolic at all. Have you been to a Dekalb County School Board meeting? I have. Suffice it ti say I've seen more intelligent and clear sughted conversations from a bunch of drunks at three in the morning at Waffle House. If they were just corrupt the school board would still be functional. I'm not averse to a bit of corruption as long as the trains run on time, so to speak. If they were just stupid, that would be more problematic, but still doable. The fact that they're both corrupt and stupid means there is no hope for the county. SouthnDekalb has already collapsed. How long do you think north Dekalb will hold the line? How can they function with a school board that fires translators when a sizeable percentage of the population is ESL? It's only a matter of time before Dekalb goes the way of Clayton. From first to worst in less than twenty years.
Then elect new board members. The residents of DeKalb county have the power to hold the school board responsible. Sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or