U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 AM

28,186 posts, read 24,757,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No, you are exactly right. Suburbs just creates more isolation. Maybe humans are just becoming more socially isolated? I don't know...Suburbs are just boring to me...

Density has more things to do in a much smaller area so more people tend to do those things. Density in a way breeds culture to an extent.
You have to admit that an awful lot of energy and creativity comes from the suburbs, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,616,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You have to admit that an awful lot of energy and creativity comes from the suburbs, though.
I don't see where this energy is other then a few very isolated places. Most of the major attractions of Atlanta and nightlife is situated within the most dense areas of Atlanta...Downtown/Midtown, and Buckhead or anywhere within 2 miles of these areas.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,288,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't see where this energy is other then a few very isolated places. Most of the major attractions of Atlanta and nightlife is situated within the most dense areas of Atlanta...Downtown/Midtown, and Buckhead or anywhere within 2 miles of these areas.
Really?

What exactly is your story? are you from here and disgruntled about the suburbs? Went to GSU and disgruntled it didnt feel like NYU? Move here from somewhere else and wish it was the same?

There are alot of people here that want this city to change and grow in different ways. In many ways you're in good company here. But there are also alot of people here who have been dealing with these issues for a long time and have learned some economic realities of how people behave and move where they do.

Anyways... I'm not sure what topic to address. 2 major things pop into mind.... and the latter is more important...

A- there is nightlife/entertainment in the suburbs, even though many younger people (myself included) prefer the city.

The largest nightclub in town is actually in Duluth, which is Wild Bill's. It also doubles as a small concert venue. There is also a newer one called Bella that is 15,000 sq ft.... Not to mention several bars and karaoke bars throughout the area.

As far as entertainment you have the Gwinnett Arena bringing in tons of concerts, as well as the Verizon Ampitheater in Alpharetta, and the Cobb Energy Center. Gwinnett County also has the Gwinnett Braves and a minor league hockey team.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not making this a city vs the suburbs. The city offerings are impressive, but I think you're discounting the OTP areas a bit.

The northern OTP areas also have a very impressive variety of shopping. Many nice restaurants are also increasingly located near Cumberland and Perimeter Center, and I have discovered some nice places to eat near the Mall of Georgia and dotted all around...

We frequently hear from people seeking relocation advice mention they want to be near the Mall of Georgia, the Forum, one of the several The Avenue's around town.

B, and most importantly - It was about "energy and creativity." That isn't necessarily where nightlife and clubs exists. It is where developers, engineers, intellectual capital live and thrive. It just so happens many of them love the suburbs with nice houses, convenient retail, and good schools for their families. A large amount of the region's top intellectual talent is in the suburbs north of the city.

The other thing to consider many industries that are new to the region are commonly located to the north/northeast (Suwanee, Duluth, Johns Creek, Alpharetta). They are engineering intensive and produce alot of high paying jobs. They often have office and light industrial components. So you will see the Cisco Campus in Lawrenceville, NCR in Duluth, and Siemens has a large presence in a wide variety of businesses often focusing on industrial equipment design and manufacturing, which is heavily locating in Alpharetta, Duluth, and Johns Creek. The reason this is worth spotting out is the intellectual talent of the pools of employees commuting to the northside vs the traditional downtown center are very different.

Heavy engineering/technology vs finance/legal.

When I hear creativity... I don't think nightclub... I think people using their intellectual and artistic abilities to get stuff done and bring real value and money to our city.

Albeit, I am constantly arguing we need better urban cores to attract young intellectual talent too. It is why I make the many other arguments in other threads that I do. It is a big need and important to keep our economy strong, but your underselling the suburbs and aren't realizing their impact on such a big economically powerful city.

Let me leave with this.... Nothing is really as simple as city vs the suburbs. It is an oversimplification that will make people not listen to you and try to see the benefits opposite of the way they live.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,245,820 times
Quote:
Its a lot bigger place than the city so there's more chance of it, but there still is a lot of energy coming from the urban core. Its hard to place a number on something like this.
Quote:
The largest nightclub in town is actually in Duluth, which is Wild Bill's. It also doubles as a small concert venue. There is also a newer one called Bella that is 15,000 sq ft.... Not to mention several bars and karaoke bars throughout the area.
Been to Bill's, not impressed. Still not as nice as Opera.
Quote:
The northern OTP areas also have a very impressive variety of shopping. Many nice restaurants are also increasingly located near Cumberland and Perimeter Center, and I have discovered some nice places to eat near the Mall of Georgia and dotted all around...
And were is most of the luxury stores at? Not Mall of GA or NorthPoint. There are some nice chain restaurants and a few family owned spots.
Quote:
It is where developers, engineers, intellectual capital live and thrive. It just so happens many of them love the suburbs with nice houses, convenient retail, and good schools for their families. A large amount of the region's top intellectual talent is in the suburbs north of the city.
Many of them also like intown neighborhoods. Its hard to lump people into categories as every human has free will and chooses to what best suites their needs.
Can we please stop this ITP vs OTP!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,490,684 times
I prefer Opera too but lately with the increase in popularity of EDM it hasn't been big enough host a few larger djs/producers (Tiesto and Armin Van Burren for example that traditionally play at Opera when they tour here have been at Wild Bills), so Wild Bills has been taking these acts. It makes getting tickets much easier.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Wild Bills just feels like big college town club/bar. The interior isn't anything special and its located in a strip mall setting.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,490,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Wild Bills just feels like big college town club/bar. The interior isn't anything special and its located in a strip mall setting.
Well, I'm not one to just go to a club just for the sake of going to the club. It's fine for seeing big acts and have a great LED light set up.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 AM

5,207 posts, read 5,980,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
id never admit that, it is far too rare.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not one to just go to a club just for the sake of going to the club. It's fine for seeing big acts and have a great LED light set up.
Opera is just more convenient for me to get to via MARTA and get a taxi back.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM

28,186 posts, read 24,757,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
id never admit that, it is far too rare.
What about all the people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates? Typical suburban kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta