U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 AM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,533,009 times
Reputation: 409

Advertisements

I think he (Ant) equating "creativity " to urban graffiti and art houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,483,723 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I think he (Ant) equating "creativity " to urban graffiti and art houses.
That sort of art scene has long left NYC. Manhattan and the creative enclaves of Brooklyn have become far too expensive for any sort of working artist. NYC is a good place to go to a different bar every night, and it has really improved its park and bicycling infrastructure over the past 10 years. It's more of a yuppie paradise than a mecca for creative people. I work in the boundary between art and engineering and most of the artists I knew in NYC in the 1990s ended up moving to Los Angeles to get more affordable space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eohHwsplvY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,561 posts, read 7,643,152 times
Reputation: 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Its a lot bigger place than the city so there's more chance of it, but there still is a lot of energy coming from the urban core. Its hard to place a number on something like this.

Been to Bill's, not impressed. Still not as nice as Opera.

And were is most of the luxury stores at? Not Mall of GA or NorthPoint. There are some nice chain restaurants and a few family owned spots.

Many of them also like intown neighborhoods. Its hard to lump people into categories as every human has free will and chooses to what best suites their needs.
Can we please stop this ITP vs OTP!
I'm calling you out...


I didn't make this ITP vs OTP

Ant did... and now you are...

I proclaimed these things existed. I don't care if you personally like Opera or Wild Bill's better.

I'm also a bit tired of the chain restaurants comment. There are actually alot that aren't chain restaurants too. I'm sorry if you got off the freeway and the first thing you saw is chilli's and an Appleby's, but that doesn't mean it is the only thing around.

As far as shopping goes... again... I'm not dissing ITP... I'm mentioning there is a good bit of nice OTP shopping. To say so otherwise is a lie or you're being so biased to what is good and bad only slim margin of stuff makes the cut.

Like it or not these are the things that are attracting well-educated workers to want to live in the suburbs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,283 posts, read 17,461,233 times
Reputation: 5385
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm calling you out...


I didn't make this ITP vs OTP

Ant did... and now you are...

I proclaimed these things existed. I don't care if you personally like Opera or Wild Bill's better.

I'm also a bit tired of the chain restaurants comment. There are actually alot that aren't chain restaurants too. I'm sorry if you got off the freeway and the first thing you saw is chilli's and an Appleby's, but that doesn't mean it is the only thing around.

As far as shopping goes... again... I'm not dissing ITP... I'm mentioning there is a good bit of nice OTP shopping. To say so otherwise is a lie or you're being so biased to what is good and bad only slim margin of stuff makes the cut.

Like it or not these are the things that are attracting well-educated workers to want to live in the suburbs too.
Should we meet at the flag pole after school?
Never said anything bad about the 'good bit of nice OTP shopping', so you need to get your panties out of a wad. I was not trying to attack your statement, so where is the hostility coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,561 posts, read 7,643,152 times
Reputation: 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Should we meet at the flag pole after school?
Never said anything bad about the 'good bit of nice OTP shopping', so you need to get your panties out of a wad. I was not trying to attack your statement, so where is the hostility coming from?
You said this in reply to me "Can we please stop this ITP vs OTP!." That is nothing I said/did, so I'm merely intellectually defending myself and that is what I am calling you out on. It isn't hostility.

There is no need for the elementary school style arguments and rebuttals and why we are at it you need to start being more fair to the 4 million people that live OTP and what all is out there.

and you said a bunch of stuff to put down the OTP areas while trying lift up ITP areas.

Most of our city lives OTP and if you really want to make change or change the way people think you need to start realizing what is really out there, what people see, and stop doing all these direct comparisons trying to make one seem nicer than the other. You lose people that might even sympathize with you by forcing them to defend what they actually have now.

That is exactly what you and Ant did.

I merely am pointing out what does exist after a few ill-fated comments by Ant. not trying to do a this vs that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,283 posts, read 17,461,233 times
Reputation: 5385
Quote:
You said this in reply to me "Can we please stop this ITP vs OTP!." That is nothing I said/did, so I'm merely intellectually defending myself and that is what I am calling you out on. It isn't hostility.
That was a new paragraph. It was not at you, but not wanting this to turn into another ITP vs OTP thread.
Quote:
Most of our city lives OTP and if you really want to make change or change the way people think you need to start realizing what is really out there, what people see, and stop doing all these direct comparisons trying to make one seem nicer than the other. You lose people that might even sympathize with you by forcing them to defend what they actually have now.
You mean region. My city, Atlanta, most live ITP. You should take your own advice about making direct comparisons, because the post I replied to was a direct comparison of what OTP has to offer compared to what is in Atlanta.
I am done with you. The OP is about density and let's keep it at that or big daddy Greg will shut this thing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,561 posts, read 7,643,152 times
Reputation: 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That was a new paragraph. It was not at you, but not wanting this to turn into another ITP vs OTP thread.

You mean region. My city, Atlanta, most live ITP. You should take your own advice about making direct comparisons, because the post I replied to was a direct comparison of what OTP has to offer compared to what is in Atlanta.
I am done with you. The OP is about density and let's keep it at that or big daddy Greg will shut this thing down.

No my post... go back and read it. Was not a comparison. He said those things don't exist

I wrote a post saying.... yes they exist.

I didn't pit one against the other. You and Ant did, which is ironic that you're making the argument not to do this vs that.

I did alot to answer the OP specifically in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,440,115 times
Reputation: 3882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No, you are exactly right. Suburbs just creates more isolation. Maybe humans are just becoming more socially isolated? I don't know...Suburbs are just boring to me...
What do you think about the mixed-use communities being built in various areas in Atlanta suburbia to attempt to address this issue? Or are you unaware of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
738 posts, read 1,152,453 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No, you are exactly right. Suburbs just creates more isolation. Maybe humans are just becoming more socially isolated? I don't know...Suburbs are just boring to me...

Density has more things to do in a much smaller area so more people tend to do those things. Density in a way breeds culture to an extent.
I was just thinking about this. I might have said the same thing before I actually lived in the city, but now I am not so sure. What I am sure about is that density breeds crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,483,723 times
Reputation: 2169
Density doesn't necessarily breed crime. The places with the highest crime rates in the USA are mostly not dense.
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC has one of the lowest crime rates (if not the lowest crime rate) of a city its size in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top