U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 AM

738 posts, read 1,118,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's probably subjective. It doesn't bother me at all to be out in the woods alone. We often don't lock the doors at the lake or on our little farm. If somebody's going to get you so be it, but you can't worry about that. The odds are remote.
Definitely subjective. If I'm out in the woods by myself, day or night, I can hear anyone coming long before they know I'm there. In the city, not so much.

Onthemove2014 is correct, the incidents I mentioned of people being robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight were not in crowded places. But they weren't deserted back alleys either, they were pedestrians on regular city streets in a residential area. The first was a young woman walking alone, the second was a woman with her baby in a stroller. They aren't isolated incidents; these happened within a 2 or 3 block radius within 6 weeks of each other.

My original point was that these things happen MUCH less frequently in non-dense rural and suburban places. So perhaps density both breeds crime and discourages it, but the absence of density prevents it to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Definitely subjective. If I'm out in the woods by myself, day or night, I can hear anyone coming long before they know I'm there. In the city, not so much.

Onthemove2014 is correct, the incidents I mentioned of people being robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight were not in crowded places. But they weren't deserted back alleys either, they were pedestrians on regular city streets in a residential area. The first was a young woman walking alone, the second was a woman with her baby in a stroller. They aren't isolated incidents; these happened within a 2 or 3 block radius within 6 weeks of each other.

My original point was that these things happen MUCH less frequently in non-dense rural and suburban places. So perhaps density both breeds crime and discourages it, but the absence of density prevents it to begin with.
There is a reason it isn't recommended to go into the wilderness alone.

With the argument you are making you could just say that if no people are around at all there is no crime or risk of it. Rationally, most humans don't live in the woods alone or on farms and we do exist.

So the point doesn't have any effective use when talking about a city or surburb of a city. Bringing up the wilderness is just argumentative dick stroking.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 AM

28,138 posts, read 24,666,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Yes, the issue is more complicated than just density per se. I generally feel safe when there are others out and about, but will have to admit there is much subjectivity involved.

I happened to take the dogs out last night around 1:00 am, and saw a fellow walking up the street dressed all in black with his head and face covered by a hood. Although I wasn't frightened, I probably would have felt more at ease if some of my neighbors had also been out.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,138 times
Quote:
Yes, the issue is more complicated than just density per se. I generally feel safe when there are others out and about, but will have to admit there is much subjectivity involved.

I happened to take the dogs out last night around 1:00 am, and saw a fellow walking up the street dressed all in black with his head and face covered by a hood. Although I wasn't frightened, I probably would have felt more at ease if some of my neighbors had also been out.
That's my point.

It's about having multiple people around.

One dude ( or a group) walking toward you on a relatively deserted street is how crime happens.

People out and about watching each other is the safest you can be without getting into fringe wilderness examples.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
That's my point.

It's about having multiple people around.

One dude ( or a group) walking toward you on a relatively deserted street is how crime happens.

People out and about watching each other is the safest you can be without getting into fringe wilderness examples.
I agree with what you say, but was just making the point that there is also considerable subjectivity to what makes people feel safe.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,875,980 times
Funny. My husband is an avid outdoorsman. He's done the AT. He prefers to go alone and says he always feels safer out in the woods than he does in the city. I'm pretty paranoid about both.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM

9,588 posts, read 10,925,733 times
Quote:
I agree with what you say, but was just making the point that there is also considerable subjectivity to what makes people feel safe.

The race of the crowd has a lot to do with people feeling safe too sadly. 100 people of one race congregating in an area may make people feel safe while 100 people of another race may make them feel uncomfortable. I think it has more to do with what you are used to individually and who you personally are used to hanging around.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,385,173 times
Whether or not someone feels safe is irrelevant, the crime statistics tell the true story.
Kirkwood is not dense, my hometown of 8000 people in rural Minnesota has the same size lots, if not smaller. Crime happens here because there are a lot of criminals living here. The Upper East Side is dense, and crime happens far less, because it's mostly a bunch of rich old people.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Kirkwood is not dense, my hometown of 8000 people in rural Minnesota has the same size lots, if not smaller. Crime happens here because there are a lot of criminals living here. The Upper East Side is dense, and crime happens far less, because it's mostly a bunch of rich old people.
Great point. It's criminals who create crime, not density. Look at some place like Singapore, which is many times more dense than Atlanta yet is has very low crime rates.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM

22,167 posts, read 16,168,399 times
Quote:
Great point. It's criminals who create crime, not density. Look at some place like Singapore, which is many times more dense than Atlanta yet is has very low crime rates.
That's cause they actually punish people for petty crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta