Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times

Advertisements

Time and time again on these threads I see posters going on and on about density, and frankly I'm confused. Are we advocating density for density's sake, or is there some inherent value in density onto itself? Posters keep referring to other large cities that are totally unlike Atlanta in that they boomed in a different era or there are geographic boundaries. I mean, y'all know I'm no fan of Atlanta. One of my biggest problems with this city is that are are entirely too many people. The only time I really like it here is during holidays when what seems like half the population evacuates! So, to me the idea of all these people packed in on top of each other all but gives me panic attacks. So again, why density? Why is it so desirable? Make your pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I personally don't advocate for insane density levels (at least by American standards), which would be next to impossible in Atlanta anyway, but in general, greater density, both structural and population, creates more synergy and a greater sense of place for starters. It's no surprise that the most popular places to visit also happen to be among the most dense and walkable. Downtown Decatur and the Historic Marietta Square are more popular than outlying suburban strip malls for these reasons.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
So, to me the idea of all these people packed in on top of each other all but gives me panic attacks. So again, why density? Why is it so desirable? Make your pitch.
In my opinion it's a mistake to think of density as a holy grail of some sort. Like just about everything else, it's how you do it.

Bad density and mindless crowding are no fun at all.

On the other hand, intelligent, compact living can make a lot of sense. Travel is easier, school, shopping and other amenities are more convenient, and you have more public greenspace since it's not all in private yards.

A lot of people say that good density also helps give them a sense of place and community.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
I like to be able to walk miles in cities with other people walking, restaurants, bars, etc open. Technically we can do that now from from 14th st to the CNN Center but we still have a long way to go

Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Density creates walkability and vibrancy in a neighborhood. Look at Little 5 points. A small, but dense urban district that has life, energy, and things going on. It encourages more people to walk and get active...to not use the car which has negative effects across the board, not only on the environment, but in the wallets of drivers. Do young people want to go to a bar that's out in the middle of nowhere, or a dense neighborhood that has multiple bars and clubs in one area? Now imagine this over a decent size area in Atlanta. It creates a city of life and advocates more projects like the Beltline which are one of a kind.

Look at neighborhoods in the suburbs. Quiet and nothing going on. You might as well live in the country. It's boring.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Density supports more people and businesses while using less resources. There is a point in density where it is more efficient, but being too dense can become expensive too. Density allows more people to use alternate forms of transportation and not be dependent on single-occupancy vehicles. Cities are encourage density, through zoning, but it is something that cannot be forced. Then you have empty, tall buildings. Not every area needs to be dense. It makes sense to have the urban centers, Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead more dense than majority residential areas and have those areas served by transit. But more suburban areas can be dense at major intersections and transit stations. If commuter rail is built, zone dense-mixed use with 1-2 blocks of rail stations. That way users can shop at retail stores in 1 trip to or from home.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Actually a lot of urban planners do advocate for density as a holy grail. Smart density is basically the Vancouver Model.

Arguments for are that it's better for the environment, it's easier to provide services using fewer resources to more people, cheaper to provide things like parks, power, water, sewage, transportation, pollution control due to economies of scale. Arguments against basically boil down to it makes people neurotic and restricts personal freedoms.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
What makes NYC also exciting is the fact you can walk in many districts where there are also many other people walking. To me, it just makes me feel really good. Atlanta does not have something like this except downtown/midtown during the day or midtown on weekend nights.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Actually a lot of urban planners do advocate for density as a holy grail.
Well, if they are advocating density per se as a holy grail then I'd say they are way off track. You've gotta have the water, sanitation, transportation, healthcare, communication and other infrastructure to support it.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Actually a lot of amateur CityData urban planners do advocate for density as a holy grail.
Fixed that for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta