U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM

28,207 posts, read 24,815,988 times

Advertisements

Just let Charlotte be Charlotte. They are not exactly like Atlanta and we don't have to copy everything they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,302,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Just let Charlotte be Charlotte. They are not exactly like Atlanta and we don't have to copy everything they do.
Well our cities are alot alike. Just different sizes and 'ages' as far as cities age.

Their LRT line is actually similar to our Beltline concept, than just a replacement for MARTA HRT.

It has stations closer together and bike/pedestrian walk ways along the track for the full length. The first 2 miles outside of uptown the walkway is a larger one and not along a roadway. This is where most of their dense condo developments are, similar to stuff we saw popping up throughout Atlanta. Many of which are replacing older industrial properties.

While it is a much smaller in scale than the Beltline, parts of it are remarkably similar.

I'd say we are different enough we can't/shouldn't carbon copy each other...

but we are similar enough that each city should look at what the other does.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,398,012 times
To be fair, MARTA is by far the most robust public transportation system in the South, and certainly light years ahead of many public transportation agencies in the Sunbelt. With that being said, there's always room for improvement.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,987,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Besides DC who else has extended there heavy rail system ??
Since what date?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,406,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I have called for the expansion of MARTA outside the perimeter. I would like to see it expanded into Gwinnett and Cobb Counties along I-85 and I-75. I am a Cobb resident and would vote for it. I DO NOT want a slow, crappy light rail system into the county. Do it right, or don't do it. I bash the system a lot, but it does have value. I don't like the way it is run and I did not like the ridiculously worthless expansion plan included in the TSPLOST.

Someone needs to play devil's advocate on here to keep you loons grounded. I'll play that role.
Keep it up

It's never healthy to have a large group where everyone agrees on just about everything. What's the point?!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM

347 posts, read 333,033 times
We need to focus on heavy rail and stop trying to be like Europe and all these other cities building light rail. Yeah it costs more but you get more. Even if they did build light rail it is probably going to end up being the same because not only are you laying rail, you now have to buy new rail vehicles and build new maintenence facilities for EACH line. None of the lines connected so they couldn't use the same facilities. The Emory line and Cobb line didn't even connect. It's not like they are going to have light rail criss cross every where. If that was the case the current heavy rail would be doing that. Stick to heavy rail and build commuter rail. I do like the street car lines but other than that keep it moving. I don't want a train as long as 4 or 5 buses blocking streets since light rail can run on them. Too slow and too expensive for what you get.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,989,520 times
Yes dont do light rail unless its going to be elevated... I was in Charlotte and we got stuck in traffic because the train got stuck at the cross way which we had to wait for 30 minutes before we could drive off it was so annoying

Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM

22,245 posts, read 16,294,250 times
Quote:
I was in Charlotte and we got stuck in traffic because the train got stuck at the cross way which we had to wait for 30 minutes before we could drive off it was so annoying
They should have Cow scoops like the old west locomotives. Just push the traffic outta the way.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:43 PM

5,016 posts, read 5,775,434 times
Quote:
We can't cause Charlotte realistically recognizes where they are at on the food chain
huh?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM

5,016 posts, read 5,775,434 times
Quote:
That is a cute little system for a 2nd rate city like Charlotte.
Not sure what the passive aggressive comment was for, but you do realize that Atlanta pretty small not long ago and now is large in land area and population, but still isn't a 1st rate city and structurally never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or