U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 PM

9,596 posts, read 8,690,408 times

Advertisements

Atlanta and Charlotte are both "first rate" cities. How can anyone possibly say otherwise? To do so is pretty intellectually dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:27 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,301,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Atlanta and Charlotte are both "first rate" cities. How can anyone possibly say otherwise? To do so is pretty intellectually dishonest.
I agree. It is a smaller city, but also rapidly growing and seems to be attracting choice jobs with pay.

It is also similar to us in beating the US average in the number of business travelers flying out.

US air is a smaller airline, but it has a wide reach from Charlotte on smaller planes.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,959,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Not sure what the passive aggressive comment was for, but you do realize that Atlanta pretty small not long ago and now is large in land area and population, but still isn't a 1st rate city and structurally never will be.
I was shocked to find that the Atlanta metro was smaller than the Twin Cities metro even as recently as 1980. That's what fast growth will get you, I guess.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,781,448 times
Because it is pointless to extend it and pointless to build anything new. I have to say it at least 40 times a week. the problem is the last mile.

ok?

You cannot get from your house to anywhere without driving. This is not a city. Why the kerfuffle would you expand marta into milton?! You think the people there will walk in the rain or heat at 5am for 2 miles to get to the nearest station?!

And this is why, marta must never be expanded to pander to some people's delusions that this is NYC, and why LRT is virtually already obsolete, without even existing.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 3,733,968 times
I don't think anyone's seriously considering expanding MARTA rail to Milton. Alpharetta at Windward parkway? Yes, but it makes sense along the corridor, not so much to Milton.
For the suburbs, park and ride stations make sense, people can drive 2 miles to the rail, and still save half to a full hour over driving, or at least turn all commuting time into productive time.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 PM

1,734 posts, read 2,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Because it is pointless to extend it and pointless to build anything new. I have to say it at least 40 times a week. the problem is the last mile.

ok?

You cannot get from your house to anywhere without driving. This is not a city. Why the kerfuffle would you expand marta into milton?! You think the people there will walk in the rain or heat at 5am for 2 miles to get to the nearest station?!

And this is why, marta must never be expanded to pander to some people's delusions that this is NYC, and why LRT is virtually already obsolete, without even existing.
Exactly.

Atlantans don't even ponder using MARTA if they own a car, despite it getting them from Midtown to Lenox in half the time and stress-free. It's quite luxurious (excluding other passengers) to wisk through the trees at up to 80mph with only 1 30 second stop.

LRT sucks and is slow. MARTA's heavy rail is Atlanta's greatest and most precious. NO other city in America will ever be able to afford building a new HRT "backbone" like Atlanta already has. So cherish it, ride it, and extend it to new areas when the need arises.

I think the original was asking why can't Atlanta request and be granted federal funding for transit like Charlotte did, not as a comparison to Charlotte.

Charlotte's light rail wasn't about making money. It was to get more people to Charlotte's downtown core in a more efficient manor and take those 17,000 cars off the roads every weekday.

I doubt y'all even use MARTA on a regular basis, so stop advocating endlessly for rail in Atlanta.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:13 PM

2,128 posts, read 3,405,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Exactly.

Atlantans don't even ponder using MARTA if they own a car, despite it getting them from Midtown to Lenox in half the time and stress-free. It's quite luxurious (excluding other passengers) to wisk through the trees at up to 80mph with only 1 30 second stop.

LRT sucks and is slow. MARTA's heavy rail is Atlanta's greatest and most precious. NO other city in America will ever be able to afford building a new HRT "backbone" like Atlanta already has. So cherish it, ride it, and extend it to new areas when the need arises.

I think the original was asking why can't Atlanta request and be granted federal funding for transit like Charlotte did, not as a comparison to Charlotte.

Charlotte's light rail wasn't about making money. It was to get more people to Charlotte's downtown core in a more efficient manor and take those 17,000 cars off the roads every weekday.

I doubt y'all even use MARTA on a regular basis, so stop advocating endlessly for rail in Atlanta.
Look at how limited MARTA is... um, yea...if you aren't in one of 4 main areas it's useless to you. That's kind of the point about expansion. If it was near, i'd use it. How or why is this hard to understand?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,989,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Look at how limited MARTA is... um, yea...if you aren't in one of 4 main areas it's useless to you. That's kind of the point about expansion. If it was near, i'd use it. How or why is this hard to understand?
I ride Marta everyday and trust I know folks from Villa Rica, Dacula Rex Jones boro Riverdale etc that are doing park and ride because they don't want to sit in traffic and they don't want to waste a lot of money on gas trying to commute. I see people standing outside on west peachtree. Right by midtown train station waiting on those large buses all the time.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM

22,244 posts, read 16,289,595 times
Quote:
I ride it everyday for everything, not just commuting to work.
Quote:
There are buses that connect just about every point in Fulton and DeKalb Counties to a station. Most places are accessible by transferring to 1 bus at a station. Rail-based transit isn't going to get you everywhere, its not economically sensible.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,619,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Rail-based transit isn't going to get you everywhere, its not economically sensible.
You have been paying attention to my lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or