U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 AM

402 posts, read 569,483 times

Advertisements

Is there anther BoA Plaza, etc. in the works for Atlanta? Maybe I'm just impatient, but it seems like there hasn't been anything "big" being built in a while (last I can think of are the skyscrapers in Atlantic Station early 2000's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM

3,209 posts, read 4,514,824 times
In a word, no. Those just don't make economic sense at the moment.

However, office absorption has been pretty strong in Midtown and Buckhead, so some new office highrises breaking ground isn't impossible in the next year or two. But nothing that huge. Given the state of the economy, we ought to be happy with whatever we get. Residential highrises will probably continue at a pace of a few a year, but those are rarely very tall.

We have had some solid buildings built in the mid-2000s though: the Sovereign in Buckhead and 1180 Peachtree in Midtown are probably two of the city's most attractive skyscrapers.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 AM

22,199 posts, read 16,208,252 times
Quote:
the Sovereign in Buckhead and 1180 Peachtree in Midtown are probably two of the city's most attractive skyscrapers.
Nothing beats the BOA Plaza with its granite exterior and gold leaf clad spire. Its Atlanta's signature skyscraper.
Quote:
Residential highrises will probably continue at a pace of a few a year, but those are rarely very tall.
Apartment highrises will continue their boom as more people want flexible, city living. Most are 20-30 stories.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,103,593 times
Oh give it some time for the angels on wallstreet to "make" more wealth.
I'm sure they'll build more sky scrapers here to house all of their wonderful operations and all the great work they do to keep our economy running smoothly.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM

9,577 posts, read 8,651,199 times
Unfortunately, due to B of A's island unto itself location, they are having a hard time keeping their tenants, much less attracting new ones. My office recently moved out....

Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 AM

22,199 posts, read 16,208,252 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, due to B of A's island unto itself location, they are having a hard time keeping their tenants, much less attracting new ones. My office recently moved out....
It is a tower in the park concept, with no street level entrance. I know there are plans in the future to make a street level entrance and low to mid rise, mixed use buildings where the park is now.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 AM

402 posts, read 569,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Not like this isn't unfixable...

Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,136,839 times
Quote:
I'd think that has much more to do with their lease rates and the glut of empty space available in other buildings at much lower rates, than it does their "island unto itself location". Landlords are making great deals to get empty space leased up, and its often cheaper to rent a new space, get it fit out, and pay the moving expenses than it is to extend a lease under the current lease terms.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM

9,577 posts, read 8,651,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'd think that has much more to do with their lease rates and the glut of empty space available in other buildings at much lower rates, than it does their "island unto itself location". Landlords are making great deals to get empty space leased up, and its often cheaper to rent a new space, get it fit out, and pay the moving expenses than it is to extend a lease under the current lease terms.
Unfortunately, a lot of the office workers were uncomfortable wandering down that section of Peachtree. The Pine Street shelter was a primary reason, I hate to say. And, other than the Varsity, Baraonda and Chicken and Waffles, there were not many good lunch or after work places to chose from. Yeah, Public House was on the corner, but the food and service were poor. We moved up to 14th and P'tree, and that area is far more conducive to an office environment than North and Peachtree. While B of A may can improve their street level presence, that will be very costly, and, as you may know, the owner of the building went kaput and the building fell into other hands. So, while the economy is a factor, it is mainly the environment surrounding the tower that has caused tenants to leave for elsewhere. It's too bad, too. The building itself is great.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,388,346 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, a lot of the office workers were uncomfortable wandering down that section of Peachtree. The Pine Street shelter was a primary reason,
What a surprise.

I always wonder how much different (better) Atlanta would be if we could get rid of this and the Section 8 housing on Boulevard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or