U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM
 
28,189 posts, read 24,782,755 times
Reputation: 9575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I like last names only as well.
It's far more elegant and sophisticated, not to mention less burdensome on businesses, and less confusing for tourists, emergency vehicles and delivery services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
738 posts, read 1,121,218 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Better yet, just "Williams Drive." There are hundreds of streets named after people, but this recent fad of using middle names and initials and Jr. and Sr. is just ridiculous and way too cumbersome.

It's also highly disrespectful of the person being honored. Do people think that unless you include the first name and middle initial people would not know who Hosea Williams is? "You mean the Hosea L. Williams? I thought this street was named in honor of Joe Bob Williams who used to have that tomato stand out in Duluth, or maybe his brother."

For Pete's sake.

Totally agree. The airport is another example of naming ridiculousness. Why can't they pick one name (first or last) and stick with it?

It gets better: on my way to work, after crossing over Boulevard, I go past Hilliard St, then Hill St, then Jesse Hill Jr. Drive. Hill Street and Jesse Hill Jr. Drive do in fact intersect a few blocks north. Fun!

I think Hosea L Williams Drive should have just been named Hosea. Williams is very common, but Hosea is unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,047 posts, read 3,883,539 times
Reputation: 957
Yeah, but will anyone remember who they were named for 50 years from now? Jimmy Carter? Sure. MLK? Most assuredly, but probably not others. I personally am opposed to naming things after people who are still alive. As Birmingham discovered with Richard Scrushy Parkway. Those things can turn on you in an ugly way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,047 posts, read 3,883,539 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Totally agree. The airport is another example of naming ridiculousness. Why can't they pick one name (first or last) and stick with it?

It gets better: on my way to work, after crossing over Boulevard, I go past Hilliard St, then Hill St, then Jesse Hill Jr. Drive. Hill Street and Jesse Hill Jr. Drive do in fact intersect a few blocks north. Fun!

I think Hosea L Williams Drive should have just been named Hosea. Williams is very common, but Hosea is unique.
I like the idea of calling it Hosea. Everyone would remember that. Elegant and simple. I think dropping first names is cool as long as the surname isn't acommon one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,052 posts, read 1,312,724 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Don't forget about "The By Way"!

Another Atlanta street name gem.
And "The Prado."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,052 posts, read 1,312,724 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Better yet, just "Williams Drive." There are hundreds of streets named after people, but this recent fad of using middle names and initials and Jr. and Sr. is just ridiculous and way too cumbersome.

It's also highly disrespectful of the person being honored. Do people think that unless you include the first name and middle initial people would not know who Hosea Williams is? "You mean the Hosea L. Williams? I thought this street was named in honor of Joe Bob Williams who used to have that tomato stand out in Duluth, or maybe his brother."

For Pete's sake.

It is normally the name they are known by. Full names used to actually be used more back in the day, full names are rarely used now because of computerized systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,574,168 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I dunno. I think it would be hilarious to have a Boulevard Drive, Boulevard Avenue, Boulevard Road and, of course the crown jewel, Boulevard Boulevard! I like funny street names. I love living on Happy Hollow because in my old hometown "Happy Holler" was the vice area. I like to imagine that this one was as well. Highly unlikely as they were horse farms but if "chicken ranch" can be a euphemism for a house of ill repute, I don't know why "horse farm" couldn't be as well.
Where did you get Boulevard Boulevard? It's simply Boulevard...

I'm not sure what is so funny about the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,520,960 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Where did you get Boulevard Boulevard? It's simply Boulevard...

I'm not sure what is so funny about the name.
Lighten up. "I think it would be..." means she was referring to something that doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 21,950,238 times
Reputation: 3853
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
well since you asked... clicky
What an interesting link. Since I couldn't give you more points, I figured I'd thank you here. Thank you!

I love Atlanta because of the history behind some of the place names. Yeah, I agree that sometimes the road naming conventions are a little confusing (like the two Roswell Roads, or the Peach fetish in parts of the city), but most of the time there's actually a reason behind the head-scratchingly strange names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,172 posts, read 16,007,369 times
Reputation: 9182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Yeah, but Williams is such a common surname. It is almost generic. I agree it is too cumbersome, but Atlanta seems to like cumbersome.
Andrew Young International Boulevard?
Centennial Olympic Park Drive?
John Wesley Dobbs Avenue?

Don't all the city streets change names at North Avenue? Or is it Ponce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top