U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 PM

20,950 posts, read 32,944,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
There were some flour mills, but I think most of them were corn mills or sawmills, sometimes combined with a cotton gin.

I've wondered the same thing about all the "bridge" and "ferry" roads. Most of them are near the river, but others are not at all.

Cheshire Bridge
Holcomb Bridge
Jones Bridge
Medlock Bridge
State Bridge
Haynes Bridge
Brown's Bridge
Kimball Bridge

Bell's Ferry
Defoors Ferry
Paces Ferry
Powers Ferry
Johnson Ferry
Grogan Ferry
Island Ferry
Nesbit Ferry
McGinnis Ferry
Shallowford Road
What about the 'Mill' roads? I grew up near the intersection of Mason Mill and Houston Mill Rds. The old mill house was there until Emory tore it down in1975.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM

4,347 posts, read 6,937,595 times
What about Steve Reynolds Blvd. in Gwinnett? I tried looking up who Steve Reynolds was but couldn't ever find anything.

Also, I never understood why Sugarloaf "Parkway" in Gwinnett was never a uninterrupted (intersection/traffic light free) true parkway like Ronald Reagan Parkway.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 PM

4,147 posts, read 5,741,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
What about Steve Reynolds Blvd. in Gwinnett? I tried looking up who Steve Reynolds was but couldn't ever find anything.

Also, I never understood why Sugarloaf "Parkway" in Gwinnett was never a uninterrupted (intersection/traffic light free) true parkway like Ronald Reagan Parkway.
Steve Reynolds, a former state senator and Transportation Board chair whose name is on a major Gwinnett County road

Steve Reynolds, former lawmaker, DOT chairman, dies at 87 | AccessNorthGa

Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM

6,612 posts, read 6,546,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What about the 'Mill' roads? I grew up near the intersection of Mason Mill and Houston Mill Rds. The old mill house was there until Emory tore it down in1975.
Historic mills of the Atlanta area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM

7,876 posts, read 12,902,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A lot of roads around Atlanta probably got their monikers when some real estate developer looked in "10,000 Cool Names for the Streets in Your New Subdivision."

I always thought it would be fun to make a cul-de-sac and name it something like "Olde Middlegate Town Close Crossing at the Links of Hopnidge Run Place."
Don't forget to toss in a 'Chase' and a 'Wyck' or even a 'Mews'

And why IS it we drive on a parkway and park in the driveway?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:47 PM

28,146 posts, read 24,671,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Don't forget to toss in a 'Chase' and a 'Wyck' or even a 'Mews'
Mews! How could I forget something that important?

Quote:
And why IS it we drive on a parkway and park in the driveway?
A brilliant question.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:17 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,257,242 times
Another interesting quirk about the numbered east/west streets of Midtown: ever notice how it picks up at 3rd Street? There are no first and second streets in Midtown! I have been told the reason for this is that North Avenue was the northern border of Atlanta city limits for decades. When much of Midtown Atlanta came into the city limits they counted North Avenue as First Street, Ponce de Leon Avenue as Second Street and began the numbered streets with Third Street! By the way, the northern stretch of Boulevard did once have some very grand homes from the Victorian era (think similar to the Peters Mansion at Piedmont and Ponce de Leon) that were destroyed during the great Atlanta fire that devastated the eastern end of downtown in the early 1900's. If I remember correctly, they were destroyed to create a firebreak, not by the actual fire. Afterwards, the former owners never rebuilt, and the neighborhood rapidly declined. Peachtree Street in Midtown, along with Crescent Avenue, West Peachtree and even the northern end of Spring Street were also once the nucleus of a very elegant residential area of fine homes. Many scions of Atlanta built elegant mansions along these arteries (You can see a few remnants: Rose Mansion (vacant and derelict near Crawford Long Hospital (Emory Midtown), The Margaret Mitchell House, Wimbush House (Atlanta Women's Club), "The Castle" near the southern tip of the Woodruff Arts Center, and of course Rhodes Hall.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:43 AM

9,567 posts, read 8,636,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

I never understood why anything would be named Ronald Reagan whatever!

Old 05-09-2015, 12:53 PM

6,911 posts, read 9,600,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
To balance all the left turns on Jimmy Carter Blvd of course

Old 05-09-2015, 01:45 PM

20,950 posts, read 32,944,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I could say the same for plenty of streets in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or