U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 04:32 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,311,047 times

Advertisements

I think you have two good choices. I actually like Denver, although I'm a big booster for my hometown

Atlanta is considerably bigger, which comes with pros and cons. There is more going on here, but also more traffic and more... its hard to get from here to here, which locks you out of some of what the city has to offer.

I'm actually going to disagree with the other posters on the cycling bit. If you want a place where you can cycle through the city as a way of getting around... its horrible except in very limited areas. This is changing... but its a long-term change.

Now if you are looking for weekend recreational cycling we actually have some excellent options new growing greenways, the Silver Comet trail in Cobb that goes all the way to Anniston, Alabama, The new Beltline, Freedom Parkway, and Stone Mountain Park.

Now Denver has a ton of places for biking and would win hands down. Enough to make me envious actually. (You might want to be use Google Maps and click bicycle routes... be sure to zoom in and see what they actually are... some are better than others).

But I also want to acknowledge if you move here and need recreational options in a nice natural setting... they exist. Now if you want to bike from home... Denver will have more options.

People on these forums can help you find some nice areas to consider moving to if you chose Atlanta, but you'll be doing more freeway commuting here than in Denver. On the other hand... our freeways are huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Q: Where are the Kids?

Getting to/from SMF is 4.5 / 5.5 hr and only two flight a day N/S (and generally not that cheap) from ATL.
SMF-DEN has ~11 flight N/S a day 2.5 / hr and there is computation on the route. So fares are lower.

So moving/visiting the kids, Makes Denver a much better choice.
He said Atlanta is closer to his kids... If his kids are anywhere east of Texas our airport will probably serve him better.

But... this would be a good thing to search!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Denver is cleaner and has better weather (over 300+ days of sunshine a year with much lower humidity). Even when it snows, it tends to melt fairly quickly. Denver has much better traffic than Atlanta and a livelier, more diverse arts and culture scene, as well as many fantastic restaurants. Denver is more inducive to an active lifestyle and has all four major sports leagues. Denver is more diverse and cosmopolitan than Atlanta.

I would choose Denver in a heartbeat over Atlanta.
I like Denver and wouldn't ever put it down...

but I'm sorry I don't think you know both cities very well if this is your comparison.

Atlanta is far more diverse and cosmopolitan. Largely, because of its sheer size and importance in the business world and its flight connections. It is an Alpha- global city. I travel almost soley internationally for work, so I get see our flight options and all the people who are coming here first hand.
Now in all fairness... Denver is a Beta - global city, which is an excellent feat for a city it's size. It is also rapidly growing in size and stature, so I wouldn't put it down. I just think this review was off base.

What I will say is... Atlanta is more of a multi-nodal city, rather than a single-node (downtown) centric city. This is largely how we dealt with our traffic problems. To truly get all Atlanta has to offer... you can't only go downtown. You have to get out to all of the different areas.

There is admittedly a pro and con to this and should be a consideration!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,317,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I like Denver and wouldn't ever put it down...

but I'm sorry I don't think you know both cities very well if this is your comparison.

Atlanta is far more diverse and cosmopolitan. Largely, because of its sheer size and importance in the business world and its flight connections. It is an Alpha- global city. I travel almost soley internationally for work, so I get see our flight options and all the people who are coming here first hand.
Now in all fairness... Denver is a Beta - global city, which is an excellent feat for a city it's size. It is also rapidly growing in size and stature, so I wouldn't put it down. I just think this review was off base.

What I will say is... Atlanta is more of a multi-nodal city, rather than a single-node (downtown) centric city. This is largely how we dealt with our traffic problems. To truly get all Atlanta has to offer... you can't only go downtown. You have to get out to all of the different areas.

There is admittedly a pro and con to this and should be a consideration!
Denver also has far less crime and lower income, property, and sales tax rates.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,493,677 times
Denver. The quality of live is better and no thugs.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Denver also has far less crime and lower income, property, and sales tax rates.
Good to know, but I fail to see what any of that has to do in response to my post your quoting

Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM

7,736 posts, read 9,609,271 times
According to Wikipedia, Atlanta is roughly:

54% black
38.4% white
5.2% hispanic
3.1% asian

Median income: $45,171 with 22.6% of the population below the poverty line.

Denver is:

59.9% white
30.8% hispanic
19.2% black
3.4% asian

Median income: $45,438 with 19.1% under the poverty line.

What's it all mean? People in Denver make slightly more money and have slightly fewer poor people. It has more white and Hispanic people and fewer black people.

That will mean different things depending on what you are looking for.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

54% black
38.4% white
5.2% hispanic
3.1% asian

Denver is:

59.9% white
30.8% hispanic
19.2% black
3.4% asian

Median income: $45,438 with 19.1% under the poverty line.

What's it all mean? People in Denver make slightly more money and have slightly fewer poor people. It has more white and Hispanic people and fewer black people.

That will mean different things depending on what you are looking for.
Well that is for the city proper and in both cases the city proper is smaller. Alot of the wealth (and poverty) is outside the city in both cases.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 PM

2,329 posts, read 3,574,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

54% black
38.4% white
5.2% hispanic
3.1% asian

According to Wikipedia Metro Atlanta is roughly:

32% black
55% white
10% hispanic
5% asian

The City of Atlanta has a population of 420,000 as compared to 5.27 million in the Metro area. It can be misleading to simply quote city stats

Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,413,278 times
That is a hard choice. I have a deep seeded love for Atlanta, but I would also love to have such great access to the Rockies. I venture to guess that Denver is quite a bit more progressive than Atlanta. They are currently implementing some exciting transit expansions and they have pretty much legalized weed. I think I would want to live there for a few years, but I Atlanta is a great place to put down some roots. If you are not at that point in your life and the outdoors is important to you, I would go with Denver. Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta