U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 AM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,492,476 times
Reputation: 409

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I moved here from Denver.. I'm sorry I love Atlanta Denver is a cool city but was just a little too Vanilla for me.
I assume you aren't white or Hispanic? I know why black folk would choose Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM
 
28,207 posts, read 24,809,955 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I find it hard to believe you know many non blacks who would rather be in Atlanta then Denver.
Wow, with all due respect that's a pretty off the wall comment. Atlanta is an extremely popular place for Asians, whites and Hispanics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,851 posts, read 5,446,088 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefarm1 View Post
Atlanta has that biking trail along freedom parkway that is always packed and goes to about Alabama. It has no shortage of people who enjoy that type of thing. If you move here I can put you in touch with some cycling friends. Denver is probably better but Denver also probably has less months of the year with the snow and all.
I visit Denver because I have family there and they definitely don't let winter completely stop their outdoor fun. The skiing industry is HUGE out there. In fact, many locals get really upset in the winters they don't get much snow because so many ski resorts depend on snow for a good year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,851 posts, read 5,446,088 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Have you ever been to Denver?

Atlanta is a southern conservative backwards cultural wasteland in comparison.
I have been to Denver and have family living there and while Denver is nice it is in no way superior to Atlanta in the ways you are trying to say it is.

Denver is more centralized, cleaner, and has the mountains which is a great plus but metro Denver is smaller, slower, and even though it's doing more to improve it's transit it's still not as good as Atlanta's. It doesn't offer many of the things Atlanta has to offer.

Politically the state of Georgia is more conservative than Colorado but Atlanta is far more progressive than the rest of Georgia. One of the more progressive cities in the nation both presently and historically.

Really the two cities are quite different from one another and some people that like Denver are not going to like Atlanta and vice verse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 AM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,989,031 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I assume you aren't white or Hispanic? I know why black folk would choose Atlanta.
I'm sure am not I'm bajan. What reason do u think I chose Atlanta since u know lets see what stereotype your going to throw out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:27 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,492,476 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I'm sure am not I'm bajan. What reason do u think I chose Atlanta since u know lets see what stereotype your going to throw out

You moved for a job or family more then likely. The fact that there is a high professional black population and singles was a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 02:14 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,086 times
Reputation: 10
I grew up in Ft. Collins (about an hour outside Denver) and have spent a great deal of time there.... It is an awesome city. One of my favorites in the entire US, actually. But I've lived in Atlanta for about 6 months and love that too. So let me outline my humble pros and cons for you:

Denver pros:
- very outdoorsy (Rocky Mountains. Need I say more?)
- as you say, anti-smoking laws
- the crime rate is very low comparatively, and it's a very clean/well kept city
- depending on the area, very affordable
- very nice weather (although it can get pretty cold in the winter)
- Downtown/16th Street Mall is really fun, and plenty of other things to do
- traffic is really not bad at all


Atlanta pros:
- also good outdoor options (N. Georgia mountains, Silver Comet trail for cycling, and other people have mentioned others)
- lots of gorgeous old houses/neighborhoods (I don't know if you care about that, but I do )
- Spring and Fall (they more or less don't exist in CO)
- Convenient to a lot of other cool places (the beach, Nashville, Charlotte, and other cities, etc)
- More metropolitan and diverse (from what I've seen)



I think, depending on where you are, the gang issue is worse in Atlanta than Denver, but both cities have nicer areas (although on that note, if looking at Denver avoid Aurora). They both have a lot to do, in terms of outdoor activities and in-city attractions.

If push came to shove, I think I like Denver more, but you can have a great experience in either city. They really are very different in terms of vibe, though -- it's a little like comparing apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,989,031 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You moved for a job or family more then likely. The fact that there is a high professional black population and singles was a plus.
Career is the main reason why I am here being around blacks is nothing new for me I'm originally from Miami. I still keep a diverse mix of friends in this area. Denver visually is very vanilla not there is nothing wrong with that for those who like that environment metro Atlanta is visually more Diverse than Denver. I don't know all these statistics but just going off what I see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
771 posts, read 1,313,148 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
You posted this as I was posting my other message. If you are serious about cycling, ATL is not the place. However, I will admit that I don't know if Denver is, either. Boulder, on the other hand, is an endurance athletic mecca, so I am assuming that Denver would at least be slightly better than Atlanta.

I guess to just provide a simple answer, unless you are going to make a lot more money in ATL, I'd pick Denver.
I would make more money in Denver. (Wow, reading through all the responses)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
771 posts, read 1,313,148 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Q: Where are the Kids?

Getting to/from SMF is 4.5 / 5.5 hr and only two flight a day N/S (and generally not that cheap) from ATL.
SMF-DEN has ~11 flight N/S a day 2.5 / hr and there is computation on the route. So fares are lower.

So moving/visiting the kids, Makes Denver a much better choice.
Actually flight costs are not an issue, their mother is an employee of one of the major airlines, and ATL actually makes more sense from that perspective, as they live in CT. But their mother is also talking about moving to KY in a few years as she is a horse fanatic and wants to get a bigger horse property (she'd probably either be stationed at the Cincy/Northern KY, Louisville or Lexington airport). So I would like to get closer but ATL is not necessarily the long-term solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top