U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,851 posts, read 5,443,486 times
Reputation: 1722

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITPHopeful View Post
I grew up in Ft. Collins (about an hour outside Denver) and have spent a great deal of time there.... It is an awesome city. One of my favorites in the entire US, actually. But I've lived in Atlanta for about 6 months and love that too. So let me outline my humble pros and cons for you:

Denver pros:
- very outdoorsy (Rocky Mountains. Need I say more?)
- as you say, anti-smoking laws
- the crime rate is very low comparatively, and it's a very clean/well kept city
- depending on the area, very affordable
- very nice weather (although it can get pretty cold in the winter)
- Downtown/16th Street Mall is really fun, and plenty of other things to do
- traffic is really not bad at all


Atlanta pros:
- also good outdoor options (N. Georgia mountains, Silver Comet trail for cycling, and other people have mentioned others)
- lots of gorgeous old houses/neighborhoods (I don't know if you care about that, but I do )
- Spring and Fall (they more or less don't exist in CO)
- Convenient to a lot of other cool places (the beach, Nashville, Charlotte, and other cities, etc)
- More metropolitan and diverse (from what I've seen)



I think, depending on where you are, the gang issue is worse in Atlanta than Denver, but both cities have nicer areas (although on that note, if looking at Denver avoid Aurora). They both have a lot to do, in terms of outdoor activities and in-city attractions.

If push came to shove, I think I like Denver more, but you can have a great experience in either city. They really are very different in terms of vibe, though -- it's a little like comparing apples and oranges.
I agree with you on all except two things maybe. First of all I love both cities but would choose Atlanta because it's less isolated, is less limited in shopping, entertainment, restaurants etc. and is more diverse.

I'm pretty sure Denver has more gangs than Atlanta. The whole out west gang mentality is more prevalent there but even so it's a lot safer. The neighborhoods people think are the worst in Denver don't even look that bad at all compared to many Atlanta neighborhoods. People out West worry about gangs but although gangs are on the rise here too it's the great abundance of small sometimes ruthless robbing crews and just plain viscous individuals here that make it scarier than Denver with it's sparse and relatively tame gangs.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM
 
384 posts, read 491,155 times
Reputation: 832
Denver, hands down.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,898,955 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Yet we can't even get new transit built or any new taxes. We can't even improve our current infrastructure.

Spoiler
You mean like the new streetcar?You mean like the Billion dollar water/sewer upgrade?Or do you mean the largest infrasture project in North America:The Beltline?


Everyone is all about flash and half the population drives a luxury car when the medium income is 40-50k a person. People drive Subarus in Denver. You get looked down on as a douche for driving a flashy car there.

Spoiler
So you rather do the same everybody does in Denver and follow the crowd than follow the crowd in Atlanta?Sounds like a personal issue.Be individual where ever you are.


No one cares about culture here other than rap and going home and drinking beer. Ask what some one is doing and its usually the same thing ; shopping, tv, generic fest with white booths selling crap, a movie , home. This city is known for a greesy fast food place and a airport to take you AWAY from the city. That's depressing.

Spoiler
Yes again I wonder why our High Museum designed by 2 of the world greatest architechs,that showcases art through a rare partnership with the Louvre where I have personally seen Mattise,Van Gough,Radcliff Bailey,and Picasso?
My favorite is the Michael C.Carlos Museum on Emory's campus.Objects from ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, the Near East, and the ancient Americas. The collections are housed in a Michael Graves designed building which is open to the public.
Georgia has mountais and they are beautiful but they pale in comparison to the Rockies.However I can get the beach in 3-4 hrs in Atlanta by car or a short flight

37million people visit Atlanta and growing each year.Denver aint even close.Some of the most recognized names in business are headquartered here and more keep moving here from other cities



Face it, the people here and the politics aren't progressive. People don't care about this city. They come here to get money and move back. People in Denver have a sense of community and that is why the happiness level , vibe, employment rate, quality of life and urban fabric are better there. They love their city. Everyone loves Denver. Atlanta constantly ranks low on quality of life. No one says they love Atlanta except homers on this board and rappers. No one in real life.All that other stuff is nothing to someone with a job.
I lived in Denver And it is a cool city but its very regionalistic in feeling.Nothing about it feels international to me.
As to your insults.Atlanta is home to more than just black people who are "rappers" and homers/Homers or not ,there is a reason we love our city.I cant say more to someone who makes life miserable for themselves because of a city.I have lived all over and have NEVER hated a place so much that I feel I have to try and prove to people how they are SOOO wrong for living a city that they love enough to defend what is so easily defensible with your wild opinions based on very little evidence or truth
.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,898,955 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I assume you aren't white or Hispanic? I know why black folk would choose Atlanta.
What does that have to do with anything? So Denver having less black people is what makes it better for you?Now I get it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,491,590 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I lived in Denver And it is a cool city but its very regionalistic in feeling.Nothing about it feels international to me.
As to your insults.Atlanta is home to more than just black people who are "rappers" and homers/Homers or not ,there is a reason we love our city.I cant say more to someone who makes life miserable for themselves because of a city.I have lived all over and have NEVER hated a place so much that I feel I have to try and prove to people how they are SOOO wrong for living a city that they love enough to defend what is so easily defensible with your wild opinions based on very little evidence or truth
.

Look at our crappy local sports support. Look at the fact that people would leave here if not for thier jobs. Every city has something for a resident to brag about. What does Atlanta have other than an Airport to leave the city?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,898,955 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Look at our crappy local sports support. Look at the fact that people would leave here if not for thier jobs. Every city has something for a resident to brag about. What does Atlanta have other than an Airport to leave the city?
It has me.I am retired with my own businessWhat does Denver have to brag about?What does L.A. have to brag about?Miami?
I was in Denver solely for my job.I liked it and used to think about moving there before I decided to settle in Atlanta.

Crappy local sports? You really reaching now.
Atlanta is leagues above Denver.Much like Atlanta is leagues over Savannah.(Another city I thought about moving too)Both are great cities but missing what I like about Atlanta.I brag about Atlanta as almost as much as I gripe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 AM
 
Location: classified
1,681 posts, read 3,061,528 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Crappy local sports? You really reaching now.
Atlanta is leagues above Denver.Much like Atlanta is leagues over Savannah.(Another city I thought about moving too)Both are great cities but missing what I like about Atlanta.I brag about Atlanta as almost as much as I gripe.
I don't know about that. Denver still has an NHL team in addition to an MLS team while Atlanta has neither (although the MLS is rumoured to come to Atlanta eventually).

That being said though Atlanta certainly beats Denver in other amenities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,458 posts, read 7,294,978 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Look at our crappy local sports support. Look at the fact that people would leave here if not for thier jobs. Every city has something for a resident to brag about. What does Atlanta have other than an Airport to leave the city?
An airport with superior amount of direct flight connections to get me home as soon as possible after a long work trip
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,898,955 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I don't know about that. Denver still has an NHL team in addition to an MLS team while Atlanta has neither (although the MLS is rumoured to come to Atlanta eventually).

That being said though Atlanta certainly beats Denver in other amenities.
That means little.Especially since Atlanta host so many more national type tournaments from PGA,NCAA,NASCAR and Tennis .Thats sports but in every other measure like GDP,Infrastructure,Entertainment,etc...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 AM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,491,590 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It has me.I am retired with my own businessWhat does Denver have to brag about?What does L.A. have to brag about?Miami?
I was in Denver solely for my job.I liked it and used to think about moving there before I decided to settle in Atlanta.

Crappy local sports? You really reaching now.
Atlanta is leagues above Denver.Much like Atlanta is leagues over Savannah.(Another city I thought about moving too)Both are great cities but missing what I like about Atlanta.I brag about Atlanta as almost as much as I gripe.
"Support" as in I mean the fans. Atlanta constantly ranks as a bad sport city.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top