U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 AM

13,220 posts, read 16,084,953 times

Advertisements

If North Atlanta was the best high school in Georgia, most Buckhead parents still wouldn't send their kids there. It's a status thing. Just pointing out the obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,580,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And making the city's population less then 300,000? Rofl. Buckhead is too close to Atlanta to split off on it's own. It would be strange riding I-85 north or south and seeing the Buckhead skyscrapers only 2 miles away and seeing the downtown/Midtown skyline 2 miles away, yet they are in separate cities.

This is part of the reason Atlanta can't be progressive now...everyone just wants to be on their own.
If you read the article, they only want to split from Fulton County - they still plan to be part of the City of Atlanta

Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,315,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
If North Atlanta was the best high school in Georgia, most Buckhead parents still wouldn't send their kids there. It's a status thing. Just pointing out the obvious.
I personally would not use any public school. But I still would use an APS over Johns Creek school. I do not buy into the idea that the exurban public schools are better.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM

22,352 posts, read 16,373,686 times
Buckhead is as much Atlanta as Midtown or Downtown. Its covers nearly 1/3 of the city limits. There area a lot of businesses, retail and office, that pay city taxes. That's why the city is working on improving the appeal and safety of Peachtree Road through the Buckhead CDB.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 AM

28,280 posts, read 24,902,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That's why the city is working on improving the appeal and safety of Peachtree Road through the Buckhead CDB.
That's a project funded by GDOT and the private businesses in the Buckhead CID. The city has very little investment in it.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 AM

22,352 posts, read 16,373,686 times
Quote:
That's a project funded by GDOT and the private businesses in the Buckhead CID. The city has very little investment in it.
Thanks for the info. About time GDOT did something about that stretch of state road.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
JPD

11,907 posts, read 14,565,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I would feel bad for the people living in Ansley and Druid areas if that happened their taxes would be ridiculous.
You'd only feel bad for the richest people in the city?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 AM

13,220 posts, read 16,084,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I personally would not use any public school. But I still would use an APS over Johns Creek school. I do not buy into the idea that the exurban public schools are better.
This is completely illogical.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,315,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You'd only feel bad for the richest people in the city?
I guess you think the wealthy do not pay their fair share? It is funny how people do not realize in Europe lower income earners make up more of the tax base than they do here. So that means the wealthy do shoulder more of the burden in America. The system in Europe just looks less oppressive to lower income earners. (and I am a citizen of Ireland and Spain)

You have to realize all of Buckhead heavily subsidizes a lot of areas of the city. When you cut out that many of the higher valued homes you would be left with a majority of them being in Ansley, Druid, Mornigside etc. so their taxes would go up drastically. And do not forget all the business and commercial RE taxes.

They would get hit the hardest because if you lost Buckhead the mill rate would go up substansially meaning those areas would get hit the hardest. You can only tax people so much before they leave. What would end up happening is the RE values would go down because people with that money moving in would just go to Buckhead. If a million dollar house in Buckhead pays 10k a year in taxes and the one in Ansley pays 20k the sales prices will drop.

I do not really feel bad for other parts of the city seeing an increase because there are very nice homes in parts of the city that pay very little tax. I think so of the tax assessments in certain parts of the city are kind of suspicious.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,455,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yeah, because everyone knows the city of atlanta is sending all the buckhead money to english avenue, where an emergency call takes 4 hours for the police to show up, the roads are not maintained, there are no streetlights and residents are at the mercy of drug lords.

seriously, buckhead? you get ALL the attention from the city of atlanta. you have better roads, better schools, better property values, when someone dumps trash in the road, the city actually picks it up, you can't even THINK about squatting in an empty house, the parks are maintained better than many private golf courses. what the hell else do you people want?
Have you driven around Buckhead lately? The roads are not exactly something to write home about. The only reason Peachtree is in such good shape is because of a federal grant and the CID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or