U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,135,373 times

Advertisements

Great point.

It simply goes back to the bad history of Georgia's that I pointed out in another thread. I sorely wish that our local corporate media would simply get to the bottom of these so-called claims that an area in one part of the country are unjustly robbing resources from another part of the area. Because I simply think that this logic is hogwash.

And it doesn't even compare to how so many black people in this state had land literally taken from them extrajudcially by gunpoint and threat of death...and that the statute of limitations prevents the people who WERE ALIVE AT THE TIME OF THE INCIDENT AND ARE STILL ALIVE from ever seeking justice.

But I guess that doesn't matter, because it seems that people of color in this country are still apparently second-class citizens at this point in human history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Perhaps those descendants of free blacks after Reconstruction who worked ,had land taken yet paid taxes in Buckhead also think that way.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-20-2012 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 AM

13,219 posts, read 16,079,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
How? Why? Because you do not agree?
No, because it doesn't make any sense.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,315,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
No, because it doesn't make any sense.
Yes it does. I said what my first choice was and chose between the secondary choices. Sorry I would not want to move to Fayette county. If I am going to use public I am staying ITP or immediately around it. There are enough good public schools ITP.

Ex. from last month.
Wife: "What wallpaper do you want in the laundry room?"
Me: "A new paint. I wouldn't put wallpaper in the laundry room you know the kids will destroy it in some way."
Wife: "No, pick a wallpaper?"
Me: "Okay, that one."

Now we have that wallpaper. It was my first choice of the other option.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but they certainly do far more than their fair share of whining.

If you don't like paying a lot in property taxes, buy a cheaper house. Otherwise, suck it up. Nobody wants to hear the whining.
The welfare recipients complain that they do not get enough. I never once have complained about my property taxes(I have always said on here property taxes are the fairest tax, I have argued it on here.). You missed the whole point that everybody's taxes would increase outside of Buckhead if Buckhead were to break off. Everybody in Buckhead would see a decrease. I pointed out how it would hurt the values of the more expensive areas of the "new Atlanta" because those people would just move to the "new Buckhead." And when the values go down at the top to make up for it they would increase the mill rate even more in the "new Atlanta."

It does bother me though when people in other parts of the city complain about Buckhead because if Buckhead broke off they would be surprised when the property tax bill comes. I find it funny when people from other parts of the city complain when Buckhead residents use the public schools, because they claim "they are their schools." No they were just lucky enough to use those schools because of NCLB. I do not see why people don't try and change their schools if they dislike them.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM

28,278 posts, read 24,895,221 times
Quote:
It does bother me though when people in other parts of the city complain about Buckhead because if Buckhead broke off they would be surprised when the property tax bill comes.
I've never heard people in Buckhead say anything whatsoever about leaving the city of Atlanta. It's been an integral part of the city for over a century and it's hard to imagine that ever changing.

However, there's no denying that a massive part of the city's property taxes come from Buckhead. Without them the city would be devastated.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've never heard people in Buckhead say anything whatsoever about leaving the city of Atlanta. It's been an integral part of the city for over a century and it's hard to imagine that ever changing.

However, there's no denying that a massive part of the city's property taxes come from Buckhead. Without them the city would be devastated.
I had never heard this until the article also. I personally would not want to split off. I am very happy with the services from the city. I also think it would take away from the culture/community. It is so funny how everybody attacked Buckhead because of what one person said in an article.

The idea of Buckhead becoming its own city reminds me of what has happened in Detroit. All of the wealthy areas are separate cities which has caused Detroit to become the disaster it has. (ie Grosse Pointe)

Old 10-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I had never heard this until the article also. I personally would not want to split off. I am very happy with the services from the city. I also think it would take away from the culture/community. It is so funny how everybody attacked Buckhead because of what one person said in an
This article doesn't say anything about Buckhead leaving the city of Atlanta. In fact it says just the opposite: "King said the new county would still be part of Atlanta ..."

It's about separating from Fulton County, not the city of Atlanta. You'd wind up with a situation like Atlanta in DeKalb County, which seems to work pretty well.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This article doesn't say anything about Buckhead leaving the city of Atlanta. In fact it says just the opposite: "King said the new county would still be part of Atlanta ..."

It's about separating from Fulton County, not the city of Atlanta. You'd wind up with a situation like Atlanta in DeKalb County, which seems to work pretty well.
Oh yeah I keep mixing that up. The whole idea is pretty pointless, I would rather just form Atlanta as a new county.(whole city in separate county). But even that is pointless. When I lived a while back in ATL in DeKalb there was really no difference except the taxes were a little higher. I have lived in unincorporated DeKalb and also had no problems there. Taxes were lower.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah I keep mixing that up. The whole idea is pretty pointless, I would rather just form Atlanta as a new county.(whole city in separate county). But even that is pointless. When I lived a while back in ATL in DeKalb there was really no difference except the taxes were a little higher. I have lived in unincorporated DeKalb and also had no problems there. Taxes were lower.
I hear you.

Personally I'd prefer to leave everything as it is and simply have APS and the city government quit treating Buckhead like the redheaded stepchild. There's no justification for singling out one section of the city as second class citizens.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:59 PM

12 posts, read 17,589 times
Buckhead To Be come its own county??? That is absurd, Buckhead is to Atlanta as Hollywood to L.A! If Anything I think Atlanta should consolidate with Fulton County, Not Split off Buckhead so it can be it's own county!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or