U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 PM

39 posts, read 44,078 times

Advertisements

I have posted in the main forum of Georgia and I think this is a better area for what the help and advise I need. I am a single mom of 3 school aged children I currently live in Columbia county GA I like it here but my children and I are not happy here. We visited Mineral Bluff GA and saw down town Blue Ridge and we fell in love with the area. So we are thinking of moving to North GA but my question is where to? Although I like the Blue Ridge area but as I'm doing research I'm coming across Cobb County to have a lot to offer and great schools as well. So doing research and looking on this website I have found a few areas but wanted to get the locals opinion.

So this is what I am looking for:

Schools are number one for elementary and middle. (Great schools website has high ranking for Cobb county I'm very impressed!)
Cost of living is it possible to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom place (preferably a house) under $700.00 a month that is in a safe neighborhood?
Crime rate I know everywhere there is crime but I want to make sure my kids feel safe as I am a single mom.
Community colleges local as I would like to go to school in the medical field
Convenience to where I can drive to a town for all my needs (grocery, hospitals, Dr's, shopping etc but have the peace and quiet for my family. (suburbs area is ideal)
Season change as I live in the South but was raised in New York I miss my season change as well as the snow so would love to live in a area where we can see some snow every year.

Having said all that I would love everyone's opinion on where to start looking with what I am looking for I would be extremely grateful. Time is going by so fast or move date is May of 2013 so getting a head start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 PM

924 posts, read 1,131,265 times
I don't think you could rent a 2-3 bedroom place in Cobb County unless it was in one of the not safe parts of the county. You might want to check Cherokee County a bit further north.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM

7 posts, read 7,717 times
I think you could find apartments in cobb county for that rate. Its not going to be the best but Cobb county is generally safe. The schools in Cobb are generally rated high. Walton is a good highschool. Try Kennesaw which is a little north. It has Kennsaw State for school. It will give you more of that mountain feel you found farther north in Blue Ridge. I think you will probably need to go 2 bedroom instead of 3. Whatever apartment you choose I would check their reviews on the net. Cobbs a big county so I think I would start by researching Kennesaw. Cherokee is also nice but I think Kennesaw will provide you more of the schooling you want.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 PM

7,710 posts, read 9,562,945 times
It's pretty much night and day.

Do you want to be in a small town nestled in the foothills of the mountains?

Or do you want to be in the suburb of a major city?

As was said before, quality of schools greatly affects housing prices. If you want to rent a place, even an apartment, for under $700, that's going to pretty much be impossible in a good school district anywhere within metro Atlanta from what I can tell. It may be possible in areas like Cherokee or some of the other far out areas as was said, I don't know how much cheaper rent gets once you get that far out. I wouldn't even imagine you'd be able to rent that cheap in north Georgia, but I've never priced it so I don't know.

The other thing you'd want to look into is community colleges that offer programs you are interested in. I'm sure you'd be able to find plenty of programs around metro Atlanta, but you better make sure they have them where you are interested in north Georgia. They might, I really don't know, but you want to make sure before you pick up and move there and find out they don't.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,278,387 times
Yea the problems you will have... is something will have to give a little

a higher budget
an apartment, instead of a house
Perhaps a duplex or a townhome
slightly average school instead of ... great.
You can also try going to outer exurban fringe into older neighborhoods closer to the small towns, like Canton, Winder, Cartersville.

I'd also expand your search to consider Lawrenceville and Gwinnett Tech and/or Georgia Gwinnett College. Easy to get into and I know they have technical medical programs.

a 2 bedroom apartment is going to run $800 and up and will be tougher to find in the best school districts... $1000-$1200 can get you into a nice rental house with good schools. You might be able to find a bargain on an against ranch house, duplex, townhome in a decent area... but the trick will be finding it.

Given that schools are important you might want to look into townhome rentals in Kennesaw or north of 316 in Gwinnett/Lawrenceville

Either way you'll be paying a premium to be closer to the city, be in a house, and/or nice schools. Smaller cities will also bring smaller rents.

I agree with the previous poster... figure out the places/programs you need to go to first, where you can find work, and then location. Figure out your education goals... are you look for a technical education, an associated degree, or a full bachelors degree (which would actually require follow up education even for nursing). That will impact where you will want to live.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 AM

Thank you for all the great information.......I will def look into Kennesaw and Cherokee County. Nursing is the area that I want to study start from the bottom and work my way up. I noticed that there is an Air Force Base in the area that is good because my kids and dependents and that helps out with medical and dental. But to answer how/where we would like to live me personally I would love to be nestled in a cozy little place with a wood burning fire place when I walk outside I see a view of the mountains where I sit on my porch snuggled up to a good book and a cup of coffee buried in snow lol, however in reality I have kids lol so I would like to be in a place where there is mountains with snow but where they won't be bored and sit in the house all the time there are things to do for them sports, karate, dance, walking trails water parks etc. I'm hoping this isn't as confusing as I am thinking it is lol.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM

738 posts, read 1,119,708 times
You won't find mountains with snow in Georgia, except up north by Blue Ridge in the winter. If you want to see snow year round you'll be better off looking out west in the Rockies.

Your budget is going to make getting what you want very difficult, especially close to the city. Kennesaw is a good place to start, and I also second the recommendation for Cherokee County - I raised my boy there. There are mountain views in some parts of Cherokee, schools are good, housing is pretty reasonable, and it's safe. You could also try a bit further north in Jasper.

In terms of college, Chattahoochee Tech has campuses in Jasper, Canton, Woodstock and Marietta, and they offer a number of programs in medical sciences. It's a state school so it's very affordable.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Thank you for all the great info I know I am asking a lot with moving trust me I would move back up to New York if I could afford it lol your kindness and responses have been much appreciated again thanks I will continue to do my search. I will also look into Jasper and those areas

Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 AM

27 posts, read 71,468 times
Default columbia county

Hello Stacy! Wanted to know what you did not like about Columbia County schools or the area in general. We are headed there in a couple of months. I know the schools are great. Please tell me why your children do not care for the schools. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM

1,686 posts, read 1,678,287 times
Jasper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta