U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
 
20 posts, read 14,664 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

And, you're implying that kids at Morehouse are not doing the same and that is not exactly what many of the rest of us did?

Jeez Louise: remove the RayBans! . . .

RE: "A combination of scholarships, working part-time and living frugally. It can be done."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 AM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,610,549 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsmct View Post
Comparing Apples to Apples (tuition and fees @ Morehouse vs Out-of-State Tuition and Fees @ GA Tech, since the majority of Morehouse students are not GA residents), those same students wouldn't be able to afford to attend GA Tech, either. NOTE: Tuition/fees at Morehouse, contrary to your post, is not $35,000.

http://www.morehouse.edu/admissions/...2012-FINAL.pdf
$24,744/yr (tuition, mandatory fees)

http://www.bursar.gatech.edu/student...3-all_fees.pdf
$29,208/yr (tuition, mandatory fees, Out-of-State)
$37,000 when you factor in the room and board.

Where did I advocate anyone go to Georgia Tech. There are plenty of great in-state schools out there that are very affordable. Why do you want to keep dragging GT into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 AM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,961,716 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
That isn't nice.



I will agree with what you say about Spelman. I have had just as much interaction with Spelman as I have with Morehouse and the differences are night and day. I couldn't advocate spending $35,000 a year at Spelman either, but at least they have a capable administration and their students are much more focused.
Focused on what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 AM
 
Location: West Midtown
224 posts, read 290,399 times
Reputation: 183
Morehouse College:

Why do people compare colleges? There are thousands of colleges in America, and many choices of colleges to attend. If Morehouse is not right for an individual, they have other choices to choose from. If UGA, and Georgia Tech is not
right for the individual, they will not choose those particular colleges.

That is the point of visiting the college to see if its the right college for you. People can not downgrade anybody choices on what college the person attends/going to attend because its their choice. If families want to spend 4500 a year to attend a in state college go head. If families want to spend 45000 a year for a private college, go ahead. Its not you choice so why is it a problem.

Even when comparing salaries a year. Salaries are averaged out, from Physical Education to History to Mathematics. A liberal arts college will not have the same salary as STEM institution. A small college of 3k will not have the same salary as a State University with 20k. Its just not going to happen.

I attend Morehouse College, and like one of the posters I was in the duel degree program for physics. However I switched over to Finance due to some beef I was having with Science, and my ability to be happy in that field. For me, growing up I was prepped to attend Morehouse. I was a fourth generation student. It was more of a traditional sense for me to attend Morehouse due to Families ties (the seventh generation just entered as a freshman). However; my experiences at Morehouse have been great. Morehouse, like any other school, is what you make out of it. You have a ****load of resources at your disposal, especially business students. Many seminars are hosted by Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Coca Cola, JP Morgan, Deutsche, General Electric, and many more. I have been to many networking, business events, seminars, job fairs. I have been on paid internships with JP Morgan and Deloitte & Touche. Believe or not, On one of my internship interviews, a WHITE interviewer from Wisconsin, told me "The reason I picked your application is because I know first hand what a Morehouse Man can do, and how Morehouse prepare you MEN very well." That spoke volume to me personally. I am making my school work for me. If other students want to clown around with a 45,000 year budget, that is there choice. Life to short to argue about other people choices that doesn't affect yourself in any shape or form. I did what was required of me in 4 years and I exceeded expectations.

Its a great school, its a small institution, internally & financially there something missing, but external it is my college and I am proud to be alumni in 2013. Might I add, with a couple of very good job offer that some of my friends at GT would love to have.#justsaying


Whatever experience you had with your college is what you make it. You make your degree work for you. Whatever school you attended, you make the school work for you. So its doesnt matter if the AUC is going through anything.

At the end of the day, You better believe that Morehouse alumni will write a check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,971,284 times
Reputation: 1644
Can I slap u for this post LOL man great great post








Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post
Morehouse College:

Why do people compare colleges? There are thousands of colleges in America, and many choices of colleges to attend. If Morehouse is not right for an individual, they have other choices to choose from. If UGA, and Georgia Tech is not
right for the individual, they will not choose those particular colleges.

That is the point of visiting the college to see if its the right college for you. People can not downgrade anybody choices on what college the person attends/going to attend because its their choice. If families want to spend 4500 a year to attend a in state college go head. If families want to spend 45000 a year for a private college, go ahead. Its not you choice so why is it a problem.

Even when comparing salaries a year. Salaries are averaged out, from Physical Education to History to Mathematics. A liberal arts college will not have the same salary as STEM institution. A small college of 3k will not have the same salary as a State University with 20k. Its just not going to happen.

I attend Morehouse College, and like one of the posters I was in the duel degree program for physics. However I switched over to Finance due to some beef I was having with Science, and my ability to be happy in that field. For me, growing up I was prepped to attend Morehouse. I was a fourth generation student. It was more of a traditional sense for me to attend Morehouse due to Families ties (the seventh generation just entered as a freshman). However; my experiences at Morehouse have been great. Morehouse, like any other school, is what you make out of it. You have a ****load of resources at your disposal, especially business students. Many seminars are hosted by Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Coca Cola, JP Morgan, Deutsche, General Electric, and many more. I have been to many networking, business events, seminars, job fairs. I have been on paid internships with JP Morgan and Deloitte & Touche. Believe or not, On one of my internship interviews, a WHITE interviewer from Wisconsin, told me "The reason I picked your application is because I know first hand what a Morehouse Man can do, and how Morehouse prepare you MEN very well." That spoke volume to me personally. I am making my school work for me. If other students want to clown around with a 45,000 year budget, that is there choice. Life to short to argue about other people choices that doesn't affect yourself in any shape or form. I did what was required of me in 4 years and I exceeded expectations.

Its a great school, its a small institution, internally & financially there something missing, but external it is my college and I am proud to be alumni in 2013. Might I add, with a couple of very good job offer that some of my friends at GT would love to have.#justsaying


Whatever experience you had with your college is what you make it. You make your degree work for you. Whatever school you attended, you make the school work for you. So its doesnt matter if the AUC is going through anything.

At the end of the day, You better believe that Morehouse alumni will write a check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,610,549 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post

Even when comparing salaries a year. Salaries are averaged out, from Physical Education to History to Mathematics. A liberal arts college will not have the same salary as STEM institution. A small college of 3k will not have the same salary as a State University with 20k. Its just not going to happen.
The STEM portion makes sense, but Morehouse does have Math and Science programs as well. The private vs. public portion of your statement does not make sense though.

Quote:
I attend Morehouse College, and like one of the posters I was in the duel degree program for physics. However I switched over to Finance due to some beef I was having with Science, and my ability to be happy in that field. For me, growing up I was prepped to attend Morehouse. I was a fourth generation student. It was more of a traditional sense for me to attend Morehouse due to Families ties (the seventh generation just entered as a freshman). However; my experiences at Morehouse have been great. Morehouse, like any other school, is what you make out of it. You have a ****load of resources at your disposal, especially business students. Many seminars are hosted by Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Coca Cola, JP Morgan, Deutsche, General Electric, and many more. I have been to many networking, business events, seminars, job fairs. I have been on paid internships with JP Morgan and Deloitte & Touche. Believe or not, On one of my internship interviews, a WHITE interviewer from Wisconsin, told me "The reason I picked your application is because I know first hand what a Morehouse Man can do, and how Morehouse prepare you MEN very well." That spoke volume to me personally. I am making my school work for me. If other students want to clown around with a 45,000 year budget, that is there choice. Life to short to argue about other people choices that doesn't affect yourself in any shape or form. I did what was required of me in 4 years and I exceeded expectations.
It sounds like you are making the most of your opportunity. That is good. Those opportunities are quite common though and not unlike the opportunities you'd see at any quality college. It is good that Morehouse is still getting those opportunities. It is just a shame that more of your classmates aren't as serious as you are. Be part of the solution and demand more from your peers and make them back up the Morehouse Man image too.

Quote:
Its a great school, its a small institution, internally & financially there something missing, but external it is my college and I am proud to be alumni in 2013. Might I add, with a couple of very good job offer that some of my friends at GT would love to have.#justsaying
And I'm sure there are students there who had opportunities that dwarf yours. I never implied you couldn't be successful at Morehouse, just that long term success is more likely from top colleges.

Quote:
Whatever experience you had with your college is what you make it. You make your degree work for you. Whatever school you attended, you make the school work for you. So its doesnt matter if the AUC is going through anything.

At the end of the day, You better believe that Morehouse alumni will write a check.
Morehouse alumni giving rate is about 30% which is about average. It is good that they take pride in their school. That is the sort of thing that can help the school rebound out of it's financial woes. These alumni should demand more from the current students and encourage them to grow into what a Morehouse Man should be and not what is rapidly becoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,971,284 times
Reputation: 1644
Its Amazing how the tone changes .. let me invite somemore of my Morehouse friends into this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: 30080
2,123 posts, read 3,390,845 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Its Amazing how the tone changes .. let me invite somemore of my Morehouse friends into this thread
Hilarious isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,971,284 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Hilarious isn't it?
Yes LOL I'm cracking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Yes LOL I'm cracking up.
Im here to.!!LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top