U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM

20 posts, read 15,091 times

Advertisements

As a 4th generation Morehouse Man myself, I like that kid's style!

And, gtcorndog, GA Tech's overall costs rise almost as much if you factor in Room and Board.

Now please logically explain how a state funded school with a significantly higher endowment (Georga Institute of Technology aka North Avenue Trade School, $1.62 Billion) costs a student as much as a private one with and exponentially lower endowment (Morehouse: $110 Million)? . . .

Last edited by fhsmct; 10-25-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,663,212 times
http://www.jstor.org.ezproxy.auctr.e...e=showFullText

Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,346,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
That's a vendor supplied database. A user would have to have an AUC account.

I suggest you cite the source and summarize the relevant stuff.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:19 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,250,388 times
Default Mayor Reed thinks going to Howard over UGA was worth it

Quote:
When it came time for the senior at Atlanta’s Westwood High School (now Westlake High School) to make his decision, his father sweetened the pot with added benefits. Attending school in Athens would also mean Kasim would get a car and his own apartment – hot commodities for any college-age adult.

“It appeared to be a voluntary decision until I went to him one evening and told him I wanted to go to Howard University in Washington D.C,” Kasim said. “My father was pretty upset,” he recalled and the two had what Kasim described to us when we filmed his Moment in the mayor’s ceremonial office as a “robust disagreement.”

“My dad had a very good vision of what he thought my life could be – he set very high standards and set very high expectations for me.” And it quickly became clear the vision did not include attending Howard. Not only did Kasim forfeit the car and the apartment, his father’s disapproval was so strong the two did not speak for a year. “He’s tough and I can be pretty stubborn,” the mayor said.
Quote:
Howard University’s influence on Kasim proved to be invaluable as his political career stemmed from many of the relationships he formed at the university. In Washington, he had the opportunity to learn firsthand from those in the political arena. As a sophomore, he interned for Congressman Joseph P. Kennedy II, an experience that Kasim says helped shape his view of public service.

Not only was he networking in the city and the nation, he was heavily involved in his university. While serving as an undergraduate member of Howard’s Board of Trustees, he created a fundraising program still in effect today that has contributed more than $10 million to the university. In 2002, Kasim was appointed as the youngest general trustee of Howard University and remains a dedicated member of the board today.
One of many graduates of one of the finest HBCU's in the country.Looks like another success story.
Mayor Kasim Reed’s college decision Moment prompted a year of silence with his father | SaportaReport

Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,684,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
One of many graduates of one of the finest HBCU's in the country.Looks like another success story.
Mayor Kasim Reed’s college decision Moment prompted a year of silence with his father | SaportaReport
Do you think he would not have been successful at other schools?

I think talented, motivated people can be successful regardless of where they go, but their success is much more likely if they actually go to elite colleges and surround themselves by elite talent.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,250,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Do you think he would not have been successful at other schools?

I think talented, motivated people can be successful regardless of where they go, but their success is much more likely if they actually go to elite colleges and surround themselves by elite talent.
Maybe.Hard to say.The point is,he felt strong enough to determine what was right for him.He may have felt he got Howard than what UGA was offering.The good ole boy network is still alive.

I dont think it would have been as easy for him to prove himself at an early age and given so much acccess to the school that he was able to show what he could do at UGA.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,352,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Maybe.Hard to say.The point is,he felt strong enough to determine what was right for him.He may have felt he got Howard than what UGA was offering.The good ole boy network is still alive.

I dont think it would have been as easy for him to prove himself at an early age and given so much acccess to the school that he was able to show what he could do at UGA.
I agree. I do not understand why HBCUs are being considered racist etc. They do not discriminate against whites, Hispanics, or Asians.

The alumni association at Morehouse, Howard, and Spelman are very strong. My wife went to Spelman and the alumni connections she has allowed her company to easily obtain contracts. A lot of companies look at colleges. The company I started with my brother(we do not work at but still own and are on the board at) actively recruits from certain schools. We have a policy of taking qualified applicants from Atlanta area schools first. We specifically seek from Emory(our alma mater), Morehouse, Spelman, Agnes Scott, we recruit more from UGA than tech because of the majors we are seeking. We started recruiting at Howard about ten years ago because some of our best employees came from there and the number of apps we were getting from seniors. Our hiring policies do promote diversity.

Also why does gtcorndog complain that people are using private schools? It's not like he is paying for it.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,684,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Also why does gtcorndog complain that people are using private schools? It's not like he is paying for it.
I'm not complaining people use them.

However, when close to 60% of the people who go there never graduate despite racking up federally backed student loans while utilizing other govt social programs like Pell Grants, it is an issue for everyone. That seems like a crappy ROI for the taxpayers. I would tie those programs to schools that are either public or are tied to high need technical fields.

Slightly unrelated, but a cool story nonetheless: http://gatech.edu/newsroom/release.html?nid=162671

Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,199 posts, read 1,570,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We have had this discussion many times before. Not every college bases itself on high SAT's or GPA's.

Morehouse is focused on creating an experience that shapes young folks lives, not simply on how well they perform.

Not to mention that a lot of life is about who you know and the connections you make! There are plenty of people working in high-paying and/or important jobs, not because they are smarter or more qualified or harder-working, but because they knew the right people. I don't know how many times I've heard people say something like, "Bob's okay, we were fraternity brothers" or "I can work this out with Smithers, we knew each other at Princeton."
I truly can attest to that....its an abomination the number of people whom actually land in preferential positions in their respective careers based not upon accomplishments and skill, but solely on contacts.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,199 posts, read 1,570,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Nope, but I didn't pay $35,000 a year for school.

I wouldn't pay $35,000 a year to go study with some average to below average students in crumbling facilities at a school with well publicized financial woes.
Just a question: What of those of us that went to colleges that are ranked low on that list but are very high earners is very good positions? Like Wall Street, Federeal Govt, Hedge Funds, etc? What about those of us that went to the worst inner city schools and though the grades didnt reflect it due to poor instruction or lack of effort we went on to these, what you would call, subpar Universities and colleges but came out doing just fine? Making just as much or more than you with what you may call an education substandard to yours due to the colleges overall ranking? Just asking.....

If you wanna stack GA Techs Engineering program grads (which is what they are known for) to another schools engineering then so be it. But I can guarantee you your business grads are not that bright....IJS.

I didnt go to Morehouse, but it has produced very quality individuals and still does. Just as GA Tech and my school. You trying to compare GA Tech to Morehouse is like trying to compare GA Tech to Tulane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or